• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

What a blast

Started by jigsaw, February 15, 2004, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

What about C/C++ w/o BNLS? Royal Air Force? :P

Grok

Please note that I said join Al Queeda so the Marines can hunt you down and imprison you for life.

Raven

Also, we assumed you didn't mean that people who join the services are morons (because one could derive such meaning from your post).

BTW, I think it kinda sucks that whenever people discuss the various military service branches, they always manage to miss the Coast Guard; perhaps the least known or remembered branch. People should realize that their job is quite important as well.

Adron

I thought the Coast Guard was a kind of police force, not a military force.

Tuberload

It's a way to serve your country, and was supposed to keep you from having to go active duty during war times. I think it is an excellent branch, because I do not think everyone is cut out for the active military careers, but it allows them to serve their country. Bush changed all that...
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

knight5491

actually the coast guard see's quit a bit of action, they do a lot of counter drug ops and stuff like that.  i suppose that maybe ppl dont mention it is b/c during a time of war the coast guard falls under the Navy, just like the marines are actually a branch of the navy.  u better have some big balls to join the coast guard, just imagin some 40 foot waves in their tiny ass ships

Grok

Coast Guard is an armed service of the Department of Transportation.  It is not a military force under the Pentagon.

And yes I said don't join the military unless you're a moron.  I should've said unless there's no hope in your life for anything seemingly normal including a lucrative life of crime, don't join the military as an enlisted person.  Do ANYTHING else, including living off the mold that grows in people's garbage cans who don't bother to wash them every few months.

Better?

Arsenic

Quote from: Grok on February 16, 2004, 09:35 PM
And yes I said don't join the military unless you're a moron.  I should've said unless there's no hope in your life for anything seemingly normal including a lucrative life of crime, don't join the military as an enlisted person.  Do ANYTHING else, including living off the mold that grows in people's garbage cans who don't bother to wash them every few months.

Better?

I second that.

Armies should be used to defend yourself when being under attack, not the other way around. Unfortunately, this is not the case most of the time. You shouldn't go risk your life for something stupid.

Tuberload

Quote from: Arsenic on February 17, 2004, 12:22 AM

Better?

I second that.

Armies should be used to defend yourself when being under attack, not the other way around. Unfortunately, this is not the case most of the time. You shouldn't go risk your life for something stupid.

I personally don't think risking my life so my friends and family can continue to live free is a stupid thing... Correct me if I am wrong, but the last time I checked are freedoms come at a cost. Now I am not saying all the wars we participate in are necessary or just, but I have nothing but respect for the people who serve our country. I also strongly disagree with Grok's opinions, but hey, that's really all that this thread is about. :) I personally would rather join the service, and feel like I accomplished something than live off of mold, but that's me. Damn it, if my life is ever made into a book I want someone to read it!

I don't see why someone couldn't go serve their time, then go to college on the government's expense. Possibly retire at 40, and do whatever you want for the rest of your life. To me that isn't that bad of a life...
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Arsenic

Quote from: Tuberload on February 17, 2004, 12:38 AMNow I am not saying all the wars we participate in are necessary or just,

You just said it, "not necessary". Then, why go? Patriotism?

This just shows how much a brain washed culture America is. But it's not your fault, you've been faced to this since the very first years of school, where books would show you how great a country you are, all the things you have done, the wars you have won, and how everyone else was wrong.

I don't support terrorism. I have respect for soldiers' devotion, but not for their wit. This war was stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: Tuberload on February 17, 2004, 12:38 AMDamn it, if my life is ever made into a book I want someone to read it!

There's a lot of books I wish would have never been written.

Quote from: Tuberload on February 17, 2004, 12:38 AMI don't see why someone couldn't go serve their time, then go to college on the government's expense. Possibly retire at 40, and do whatever you want for the rest of your life. To me that isn't that bad of a life...

If you still live after, that is.

If I wanted to care about my kids and their future, I'd rather be a scientific and find a cure to AIDS and cancer.

Tuberload

Out of all that you said nothing about the cost of freedom... I acknowledged that not all of the wars we have participated in were necessary, but what about the ones that are...

I don't know about you, but I don't consider myself brainwashed either... I am a big fan of history, and along with that I understand when we have been right, and when we have been wrong. My wanting to join the service has nothing to do with wanting to be a part of the best country in the world that never does anything wrong.

What is their not to respect about a soldiers wit... Are you saying that are troops are not intelligent, resourceful, or clever?

The comment about my life being a book was meant to be humorous.

I could die tomorrow just walking down the street... If you are that scared of death, I agree with you, stay the hell away from the service. I also recommend that you isolate yourself from most of life's experiences. I would feel a lot better about myself if I died fighting for something, than if I got shot because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hell I could go out eating a hotdog if I'm not careful.

Grok

Quote from: Tuberload on February 17, 2004, 02:02 AMI don't know about you, but I don't consider myself brainwashed either.

Oh?  Let's do a test.  Do you pay individual income taxes?  If so, why?  If you say it's the law, show me.  Now tell me you're not a zombie.

iago

Quote from: Tuberload on February 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

Better?

I second that.

I personally don't think risking my life so my friends and family can continue to live free is a stupid thing... Correct me if I am wrong, but the last time I checked are freedoms come at a cost. Now I am not saying all the wars we participate in are necessary or just, but I have nothing but respect for the people who serve our country. I also strongly disagree with Grok's opinions, but hey, that's really all that this thread is about. :) I personally would rather join the service, and feel like I accomplished something than live off of mold, but that's me. Damn it, if my life is ever made into a book I want someone to read it!

I don't see why someone couldn't go serve their time, then go to college on the government's expense. Possibly retire at 40, and do whatever you want for the rest of your life. To me that isn't that bad of a life...

That book thing is directory from their commercial *brainwash*

And was Saddam Hussein really threatening your freedom?  How?  As far as I can tell, he was maybe threatening the freedom of Kuwait, Iran, and other countries around there, but there was absolutely no possibility of him threatening the freedom of Western Europe, or The Americas.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hitmen

Quote from: iago on February 17, 2004, 08:12 AM

Better?

I second that.

And was Saddam Hussein really threatening your freedom?  How?  As far as I can tell, he was maybe threatening the freedom of Kuwait, Iran, and other countries around there, but there was absolutely no possibility of him threatening the freedom of Western Europe, or The Americas.
Yea, we should have let him keep torturing his people for a few more years until he actually decided to get WMD or something.

iago

Quote from: Hitmen on February 17, 2004, 10:18 AM
Quote from: iago on February 17, 2004, 08:12 AM

Better?

I second that.

Yea, we should have let him keep torturing his people for a few more years until he actually decided to get WMD or something.

He neither had nor was developing WMD.  And I thought we were talking about "risking my life so my friends and family can continue to live free".  What about all the other places were people are suffering, all over africa, asian countries, other middle eastern countries, etc?  We don't care about those, though, only the ones that we decide to attack are all of a sudden important.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

|