• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Tell us now!

Started by Thing, November 22, 2003, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

CrAz3D

Quote from: J on June 29, 2006, 03:56 AM
This N/A bug is getting DAMN annoying. Thought you ought to know.

I feel poor. Donate to me. [email protected] (paypal)
meeeees too!

I need r teh money for my new machine
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

KrewL RaiN

Arghhhhhhh when will they get that house tearing down done. They start at 8am and its soo anoying ><

Its like trying to sleep then *bang crash boom*

That house was the most nastyest home I've been into. The people who lived there were slobs and there cats had babys wich peed allover the place. One of my friends babysat for them and she invited me over for a visit and I wish I brought a gas mask. The Chirch put that place up for sale and the people who lived there just left all the garbage there. And thanks to the cat piss the funeral home cant do anything but just tear it down. No way one could get the smell of cat spray out of there.

Think its going to be a parking lot...yay more 8am contrustion ><

shout

I have to go to work now. I have to work until midnight. I hate my job so much.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Yea I was driving home from work today and I forgot to turn my headlights on and got pulled over.

Joe[x86]

Owned. After getting his car DOMINATED by a semi, Tory was forced to ride his bike to work. Of course, he got off work and there was a thunderstorm && tornado warning so to save himself from being owned by lightning on a metal bike, he walked home. =)
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

shout

More work. 60 hours this week and next.

But...

10.25 * 40 = 410.00 - (410.00 * 0.20) = 328
10.25 * 20 * 1.5 = 307.50 - (307.50 * .35) = 199.87

527.87 * 2 = 1055.74

Cry.

Joe[x86]

So you're making $1055 over the next too weeks? Damn man, buy me a $30 graphics card.

warz

Quote from: J on July 02, 2006, 02:13 AM
Owned. After getting his car DOMINATED by a semi, Tory was forced to ride his bike to work. Of course, he got off work and there was a thunderstorm && tornado warning so to save himself from being owned by lightning on a metal bike, he walked home. =)

A bike has a sufficient amount of rubber on it. As we all know, lightning tends to stray from striking rubber. Same principal as a car. Lightning doesn't strike cars, now, does it?

Joe[x86]

I didn't feel like explaining the laws of static electricity to Tory. I would have never thought about the rubber but the "path of least resistance" idea came to mind, considering his entire path home is through wooded areas.

hismajesty

Quote from: warz on July 02, 2006, 10:44 AM

A bike has a sufficient amount of rubber on it. As we all know, lightning tends to stray from striking rubber. Same principal as a car. Lightning doesn't strike cars, now, does it?

Yes it does, but it just bounces off. (RealTV beatch)

Rule

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on July 02, 2006, 11:49 AM

Yes it does, but it just bounces off. (RealTV beatch)

What? :P
You're joking right?

I think what warz said is (a priori) correct: if you've got a good conductor that is grounded, and say a big negative charge in the sky, the surrounding earth will be treated like a massive sink, and all the positive charge will move up to the top of the conductor.  If you've got insulators like wheels on the car, severing the electrical connection between the conducting body of the car and the ground, you won't have as much (positive) charge available to move to the top of the car and attract the lightning, but you'll still have some.

I've often heard instructions for "what to do" if lightning strikes your car so it must happen on occasion.  8)

hismajesty

Zorm

Think about this for a moment, theres probably a few million volts in a lightning strike which is coming miles through the atmosphere, the little bit of rubber on your tire isn't going to make enough difference to be any sort of actual insulator.

Last year there was an instance of a car going down the road and being struck in the windshield by lightning. The windshield was destroyed and things like the airbag in the car ended up deploying, so yeah it can happen that cars get struck.

BTW. this year there was a case of a man on a motorcycle being struck while lightning while moving down the highway at speed. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9407981/detail.html
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Rule

Quote from: Zorm on July 02, 2006, 01:29 PM
Think about this for a moment, theres probably a few million volts in a lightning strike which is coming miles through the atmosphere, the little bit of rubber on your tire isn't going to make enough difference to be any sort of actual insulator.

I agree with most of what you've said, but I think my comment still holds; the height, conductivity and grounding of the object will determine how likely it is to be struck: those rubber tires could just be that (small?) difference that makes the car relatively less attractive to the lightning than other things in some cases. (The charges in the ground aren't as readily pushed onto the car due to the rubber barrier).  Not that it's impossible for lightning to hit cars, or that it doesn't happen sometimes.  The longer the car is out there the more it will be charged and the more likely it will be hit.

topaz

It doesn't do much if it strikes the hood - the electricity is evenly distributed, and rubber tires have nothing to do with it. The Skin Effect is what keeps you from being roasted.
RLY...?

|