• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

.NET is our future

Started by Grok, January 29, 2003, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Like it or not.  Microsoft created .NET to compete with Java.  Despite that Java must be implemented on XP according to the recent ruling, the proliferation of .NET already has done its damage.  Check computerjobs, monster, and other hirings sources to compare the platforms.  At least in my area, .NET is way ahead, despite Java having been out for about eight years.

On Slashdot yesterday was a reference to a .NET platform being developed for Unix and Linux, by the open source community.  Microsoft maybe didn't want this, but can they complain?  The marketing hype for .NET was "multiplatform" and "code portability" due to the IL running on top of the virtual machine, ala Java VM.

On the other hand, it is unlikely Microsoft ever intended for *nix to have a working .NET virtual machine.  Since then, one hurdle which is holding back all non-Windows OS' would be gone -- lack of sufficient programmers and applications.  If suddenly everything could be easily ported to Linux, that will make corporations less apprehensive to make it a production operating system.

All that being said, with the suddenly increased likelihood that .NET will smash Java (which will still have its large market share), you're probably going to need to know .NET or Java to do PC programming in the next ten years.

indulgence

So sad, but at the same time it is true  :-/
<3

iago

Sadly, I already know Java all too well, as much as I've been trying to avoid it...

But what I REALLY want to see is somebody write a Visual Basic Virtual Machine for Linux (or Unix)! :-D
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Etheran

oh cheer up, it's not *that* bad!  ;D

Skywing

QuoteSadly, I already know Java all too well, as much as I've been trying to avoid it...

But what I REALLY want to see is somebody write a Visual Basic Virtual Machine for Linux (or Unix)! :-D
That wouldn't work so well.  Besides, you can already run VB.NET programs on Linux.

iago

QuoteThat wouldn't work so well.  Besides, you can already run VB.NET programs on Linux.

It might work! Although you'd probably have to rewrite the better part of windows, but who knows? :-)

Banana fanna fo fanna

.NET is horrible. The entire philosiphy requires you to learn more languages, which is dumb.

No one I know uses .NET. It's all Java that I see. Besides, GCJ works on windows now, so .NET is dead IMO ;)

Well, enterprise computing sucks too, all it is is a bunch of hype and buzzwords anyway.

XML! SCALABILITY! LATE-BINDING! SCHEMA! WEB SERVICES! SOAP! XML-RPC! EBXML! UDDI! INTEGRATION! SERVICES! ENTERPRISE! BROKERS! THROUGHPUT! MANAGEABILITY!

Skywing

Quote.NET is horrible. The entire philosiphy requires you to learn more languages, which is dumb.

No one I know uses .NET. It's all Java that I see. Besides, GCJ works on windows now, so .NET is dead IMO ;)

Well, enterprise computing sucks too, all it is is a bunch of hype and buzzwords anyway.

XML! SCALABILITY! LATE-BINDING! SCHEMA! WEB SERVICES! SOAP! XML-RPC! EBXML! UDDI! INTEGRATION! SERVICES! ENTERPRISE! BROKERS! THROUGHPUT! MANAGEABILITY!
Where is it that you live, then?  Under a rock?

0xdeadc0de

Quote.NET is horrible. The entire philosiphy requires you to learn more languages, which is dumb.

Ugh... I feel like I'm at work... :P

Grok

When I was 15, I too thought I had a clue.

Thing

Storm is right.  
We should only use COBAL and FORTRAN.  All other languages should be abandoned.  ::)
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

iago

Nah, everybody should just revert back to assembly.  Better yet, all programs should be made with tiny little logic gates, forget programming!

Adron

Yes, programmable logic owns. Program it in vhdl!

tA-Kane

Assembly, that sounds like fun...  =]

(What's a logic gate?)
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Yoni

Logic gate = tiny thingie that does or/and/xor/not and such bitwise operations