Previous topic - Next topic

iago

ebc was a typo :-P

And the other registers are covered under "etc."

I just put the ones I knew from memory :P
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

EvilCheese

They should introduce a general-purpose register called etc .... it's the obvious thing to do.  :P

Arta

Quote from: Skywing on February 06, 2003, 12:15 PM
QuoteDelphi doesn't generally hog much memory.
I'm guessing you've never disassembled a Delphi program... Borland's compiler/linker sucks.  ResHacker is 828KB, and APBot is 1.4MB.  There's no reason why those programs should be anywhere near that large compiled.

That's not really true, Delphi's compiler/linker is fine. If you write a program in Delphi that uses API natively your executable & memory use will be similar in size to a C++ application - the problem isn't the compiler, the problem is VCL. VCL is an amazing accomplishment on the part of Borland, IMO, since it's flexible, very interoperable, logical, quick, simple, and easy to code with - but all of that comes with a *huge* overhead. That's the reason for Delphi's excessive memory/disk use.

The conclusion that I've come to is that if you're going to code everything using API natively, you may as well use C++ which is better anyway. Delphi is, in my opinion, a great language - but only in a limited area. It's target market is similar to VB's, business applications that need to be developed quickly and cheaply. I still believe firmly that Delphi is *far* superior to VB in that regard.

*wonders what's in store with Delphi.NET*

MyndFyre

Quote from: St0rm.iD on February 03, 2003, 01:29 PM
.NET is horrible. The entire philosiphy requires you to learn more languages, which is dumb.

No one I know uses .NET. It's all Java that I see. Besides, GCJ works on windows now, so .NET is dead IMO ;)

Well, enterprise computing sucks too, all it is is a bunch of hype and buzzwords anyway.

XML! SCALABILITY! LATE-BINDING! SCHEMA! WEB SERVICES! SOAP! XML-RPC! EBXML! UDDI! INTEGRATION! SERVICES! ENTERPRISE! BROKERS! THROUGHPUT! MANAGEABILITY!

Blech.  I started learning on C# just teaching myself, then when I started at the university all the classes were in Java.  I find that Java seems to be behind C# and the .NET Class Library...

And how do you figure that .NET "Requires" you to learn more than one language?  The entire point of the Common Language Runtime is that portions of your code (maybe in VB) can work with my code (in C#) while it can work with someone else's (in J#) and another's (in C++).  You don't need to know other languages.  Hence, modular programming.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

What if you're working on a project with someone else who is using a different language?

Skywing

Quote from: St0rm.iD on July 21, 2003, 11:46 AM
What if you're working on a project with someone else who is using a different language?
That's the point of the CLR.  You can write your parts in your favorite language, and whoever else can write their parts in their favorite language, and they'll work together perfectly.

|