• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Don't mind me while I walk out of the building with your top secret computers.

Started by Skywing, September 05, 2003, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skywing

Wouldn't you feel stupid if you were the head of security here?

Hitmen

Grok

What's more amazing is the extremely high degree of spin being put on the theft.  They're repeatedly assuring each other that no sensitive information is at risk, as if the repetition will cause it to be true.

al-quaeda didn't steal the computers for their hardware value.  they're not morons.

no amount of spin will make that less than a total success for al-quaeda or whomever did the theft.

iago

That reminds me of my University.. over the course of 10 months last year 60 computers were stolen.  But they were actually stolen for hardware value :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hitmen

After the first were stolen you'd think they would want to increase security. Guess not.

iago

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Universities are harder to protect - you probably want students to be given as much access as possible, and there are *lots* of students.

j0k3r

Yes but universities can hire staff to watch the stuff and lock stuff up.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: j0k3r on September 06, 2003, 08:05 AM
Yes but universities can hire staff to watch the stuff and lock stuff up.

They can, but actually if you think about it, you can afford to lose some computers if it saves staff wages. Hmm, for generic pcs, estimate 60 computers/year = 2 people's wages?

Camel

In my AP Comp Sci class on Friday, a friend and I spent the entire block picking the locks on the keyboards because they obstructed the range of movement of the mouse. We weren't even attempting to hide it, and nobody cared.

[edit] BTW, they are G4s, so they have optical usb mice plugged into the side of the keyboard. The mouse and keyboard are locked down because *cough* someone realized freshman year that they were unsecured.

Grok

There's a typical case of poor economics.  The total amount of cost for all those locks have to significantly exceed the cost of replacement for a few stolen ones.

Camel

I don't know, the locks were pretty cheap...

Additionally, someone attempted to steal a laptop from the library a couple of years ago and was caught.

j0k3r

Quote from: Camel on September 06, 2003, 05:00 PM
I don't know, the locks were pretty cheap...

Additionally, someone attempted to steal a laptop from the library a couple of years ago and was caught.

LMFAO, people steal PC's without consequence and get caught stealing Laptops...
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Camel

Actually, he was caught because of the DHCP server -- at my school each WAP has its own set of IP addresses, so they knew he was in one of about three rooms.

j0k3r

So they were coincidentally there and coincidentally noticed one go offline or did the DHCP server alert someone somehow?
John Vo