• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Don't mind me while I walk out of the building with your top secret computers.

Started by Skywing, September 05, 2003, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

I understand locking the laptops and desktops up, but I misunderstood your assertion as them buying locks for the keyboards and mice.  My bad.

Camel

Quote from: j0k3r on September 06, 2003, 09:06 PMSo they were coincidentally there and coincidentally noticed one go offline or did the DHCP server alert someone somehow?

It's kind of hard to not notice a laptop dissapear with the way they do it. The library keeps its laptops locked up in a case, and when a class comes down to use them, they unlock the case. At the end of the period, the librarians are responsible for getting everyone to bring the laptops back, but one was missing. It was reported, and they probably found out the wireless card's MAC address or something of that nature -- in any case, they were able to identify that the computer had logged on to the network, and knew which WAP it was on by the IP address. Because of the limited range of the crappy WAPs they use, locating him and said laptop was relatively easy.

j0k3r

QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Adron

Quote from: Camel on September 07, 2003, 01:49 AM
in any case, they were able to identify that the computer had logged on to the network, and knew which WAP it was on by the IP address. Because of the limited range of the crappy WAPs they use, locating him and said laptop was relatively easy.

Kinda stupid not turning the computer off...

iago

It doesn't sound like he was even trying to steal it, just looking for a quiet place to study..
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

j0k3r

School is just a an elaborate plan for the government to have reasons to arrest you.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Of course, people who don't go to school or who drop out of school get arrested more..
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Only cause they're dumb (I'm talking about stupid dumb, not educational dumb).
John Vo