• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

When is BnetDocs getting back on?

Started by soccerist, August 28, 2003, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soccerist

I'm making a Linux C/C++ -based bot.  I've found your site most useful in the past.  Just wondering when you'll get your server issues fixed, or maybe if you could change the host to your site.  Thanks Arta.

FlAsH

Yes, i was wondering the same, maybe you could create a html backup for when shit happens to it, since it seemingly happens alot.

soccerist

Well, I think he wants the system managed with users so that an unknown person can't abuse the service.  Or maybe it's so we can do posts.  A regular html site WOULD be nice though.   ;D

Hazard

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

WinSocks

why don't you just copy and past the stuff in there as txt files for future reference instead of relying on other people and their services... and then bitching about how you can't get anything free anymore for the time being.

Don't be relyant on computers THEY ARE EVIL!!

FlAsH

Quote from: soccerist on August 29, 2003, 12:29 PM
Well, I think he wants the system managed with users so that an unknown person can't abuse the service.  Or maybe it's so we can do posts.  A regular html site WOULD be nice though.   ;D

I really don't mind having it managed with users, but when you are trying to provide a service to the public, and you have a server which can't seem to handle what he would like to do, then what you like to do differs from what you SHOULD do.

Quote from: LoRD`NiKKoN on August 29, 2003, 02:47 PM
why don't you just copy and past the stuff in there as txt files for future reference instead of relying on other people and their services... and then bitching about how you can't get anything free anymore for the time being.

Don't be relyant on computers THEY ARE EVIL!!

It's alittle late for that now isn't it :(

WinSocks

not for me i have it all down on in txt files on my comp, i always like to think ahead about possible problems such as what happened.

Camel

Quote from: LoRD`NiKKoN on August 31, 2003, 11:20 PM
not for me i have it all down on in txt files on my comp, i always like to think ahead about possible problems such as what happened.

You should publish it, with Arta's permission of course. :)

Kp

The Valhalla server only has a PHP front-end to bnetdocs.  All the data is still retrieved from Arta's computer on an as-needed basis.  So when he goes offline, so does bnetdocs.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

FlAsH

Quote from: Kp on September 01, 2003, 12:41 AM
The Valhalla server only has a PHP front-end to bnetdocs.  All the data is still retrieved from Arta's computer on an as-needed basis.  So when he goes offline, so does bnetdocs.

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how dumb a concept that is? :-\

Grok

Quote from: FlAsH on September 01, 2003, 03:24 AM
Quote from: Kp on September 01, 2003, 12:41 AM

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how dumb a concept that is? :-\

Distributed computing?  Yes, its the dumbest thing since multiprocessing.

Hazard

Quote from: Grok on September 01, 2003, 08:34 AM

+1 to Grok. A coy remark as usual.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Adron

Indeed, when everyone knows that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, why add links to chains?

FlAsH

Quote from: Adron on September 01, 2003, 11:21 AM

Indeed, when everyone knows that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, why add links to chains?

Perhaps making sure the chain has no weak links before you add to it, (get a better system :-\)

Arta

My server has not been down at all. BnetDocs broke when the subdomain bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com was added. I don't know why, and perhaps it's just a coincidence, but there were no code changes - to my knowledge, the subdomain was the only thing that's changed. I don't really understand why. I've asked someone to look into it but no one seems to have as yet. I've reviewed the code thoroughly, and it's functioning perfectly on my test server, so it's either a server bug or misconfiguration. I'm not really sure what more I can do.