• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

When is BnetDocs getting back on?

Started by soccerist, August 28, 2003, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 01, 2003, 06:59 PM
My server has not been down at all. BnetDocs broke when the subdomain bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com was added. I don't know why, and perhaps it's just a coincidence, but there were no code changes - to my knowledge, the subdomain was the only thing that's changed. I don't really understand why. I've asked someone to look into it but no one seems to have as yet. I've reviewed the code thoroughly, and it's functioning perfectly on my test server, so it's either a server bug or misconfiguration. I'm not really sure what more I can do.

This is how I see it. *Arta* offers his time and resources to produce a "library" of sorts for programming and development. If people don't like how its run they can do it themselves.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Camel

Arta, why not just host bnetdocs yourself?

[edit] BTW, you might try checking the PHP error logs/turning error reporting on; in my experience with php, a totally blank page usually means error reporting is off and something went wrong.
http://www.php.net/error-reporting

Arta

Yes, I'm aware. Errors are intentionally turned off as a security measure. I don't want to host it myself, partially because I don't have much upstream, and partially because I don't feel like telling every tom dick and harry my IP address :)

iago

Perhaps you can have mirrors on different servers, in case one goes down?
[edit] If it would help, I'd mirror it.. my upstream is decent :)

There should be a seperate forum for people complaining about how Arta isn't helping them good enough :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

FlAsH

I also emailed arta offering him a backup host, and i haven't been contacted yet, so my guess is he isn't open to backups :-\

QuoteMy server has not been down at all. BnetDocs broke when the subdomain bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com was added. I don't know why, and perhaps it's just a coincidence, but there were no code changes - to my knowledge, the subdomain was the only thing that's changed. I don't really understand why. I've asked someone to look into it but no one seems to have as yet. I've reviewed the code thoroughly, and it's functioning perfectly on my test server, so it's either a server bug or misconfiguration. I'm not really sure what more I can do.

Have you tried removing that subdomain? (since it seems to be the cause of the problem)

Quotenot for me i have it all down on in txt files on my comp, i always like to think ahead about possible problems such as what happened.

perhaps you can send me these?

FLiPPY_

QuoteThis is how I see it. Adron offers his time and resources to produce a "library" of sorts for programming and development. If people don't like how its run they can do it themselves.
Don't you mean Arta..? Im confused lol :P

FlAsH

Quote from: FLiPPY_ on September 02, 2003, 07:57 PM
QuoteThis is how I see it. Adron offers his time and resources to produce a "library" of sorts for programming and development. If people don't like how its run they can do it themselves.

Yes, I believe thats what he meant.

it isn't that we have problems with how it's run, it's the fact that more often then not, it doesn't run.

Soul Taker

Until that last post, every post on this page was edited.  Makes me wonder how much sleep you guys get.

Adron

Wheeee, I get free credits :P

Anyway, if there's a problem with bnetdocs still, due to some misconfiguration, maybe Arta could tell me some time that would be good for him and we could look into it?

FlAsH

Hazard

Quote from: FLiPPY_ on September 02, 2003, 07:57 PM

Yes I do I apologize for the error on my part.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

WinSocks

Flash it's gone till Arta fixes his Misconfiguration Bug/Error he got :\

If Arta is agreeable i will post it up as a same php based site to access the information.  ;)

But if not then i will just enojy it to myself :D

Arta

I appreciate the offers of mirrors and backup hosts but I can't accept them at present. Because so much of the information on BnetDocs is private I can't risk letting it into the hands of a third party. Thanks for the offers though! As I said, I do appreciate it.

Adron: I should be around tonight and tomorrow, and the day after, and uhm.. most of the time, really :) I'll poke ou on MSN at some point.

Adron

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 06, 2003, 08:25 AM
Adron: I should be around tonight and tomorrow, and the day after, and uhm.. most of the time, really :) I'll poke ou on MSN at some point.

I've looked for you at various times last weekend and this week actually. I had an unrelated question. But ok, poke me when you want help. I'll possibly be gr gaming if you get no response.

Camel

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 06, 2003, 08:25 AMI appreciate the offers of mirrors and backup hosts but I can't accept them at present. Because so much of the information on BnetDocs is private I can't risk letting it into the hands of a third party. Thanks for the offers though! As I said, I do appreciate it.

Two solutions come to mind:
1) Make a copy with only the public info.
2) Use lycos -- I believe they are supporting PHP now.

|