• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

CD-Key Generator Discussion

Started by Lenny, August 24, 2003, 01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenny

Is it possible to calculate the probability a generated key will work on Battle.net?
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

hismajesty

Yes, since there is a probability for virtually everything in one form or another- Though I do not know the equation. Maybe one of the smarter members do?

Camel

The idea is to get Value1 to match Value2. Both are DWORDs, so the probability is 1 in 2^32, or ~4.29 billion. Effective, no? :)

iago

Assuming you generated it from the public algorithm, there is a probability somewhere on the internet, search for the generating algorithm and it should turn up.

[edit] iirc, it was very low, <1%
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

The best way of generating keys that I am aware of gives you a 0.1% probability of success.

iago

Quote from: Adron on August 24, 2003, 08:41 AM
The best way of generating keys that I am aware of gives you a 0.1% probability of success.

That sounds right..
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hazard

Quote from: iago on August 24, 2003, 09:19 AM
Quote from: Adron on August 24, 2003, 08:41 AM

That sounds right..

I agree with those guys... probably about 0.1%. You'd have to spend a lot of time to do that... If you were bored you could use Yoni's Google Calculator to figure it out :P

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Adron

Well, assuming there's no pattern that you can find, I'd say the probability is exactly 0.1% ;)

Edit: My statements in this thread are valid for SC/BW keys, because those are the ones I've generated.

UnderCover

Would jsut using a code such as rand(1000000000000, 5000000000000)

work or do you have ot have it add and substract numbers and stuff along with that?   Whats the best method to do it (make a generator)

DarkMinion

With starcraft keys, you could generate keys starting at 1000000000000 and incrementing up, then testing to see if they're valid for install, then testing on battle.net.

Of course, between the IP bans for invalid keys and the time used to generate all the keys, it would probably take you around 6 months to generate one usable key, and then there is a high probability that it is already in use.

So, in other words, forget it, you won't be able to do it.

UserLoser

Because I was curious, I did something with the public DecodeCDKey function out there, hoping I could find a pattern somehow to actual working CDkeys on Battle.net [never tried to figure anything out].  I ran a "bruteforce" like program starting at 0000000000000 up to 3999999999999.  If the number passed the function, it'd output it to a file.  You can find my results at http://darknet.darktech.org/test/keys.txt - 39MB file, I did stop it after a while, it tended to make my computer run just a bit slow. ;)

Adron

It would probably do you more good to just study the code... It's not all that hard to look at it and understand how a cd key is made up, and how to convert cd keys between different representations.

UnderCover

so i tihnk if you did a code where youget a rand number then add 2 to a digit then substract form a digit etc etc  does anoyne else have any suggestions

Also how would i test the cd keys could i make a online cd key tester thorugh php :)  I love php

Camel

Well, considering testing a cd key doesn't require a persistant connection to battle.net, it may actually be feasable to connect with php. Perhaps you could write a PHP extention (dll) to assist with hashing/checkrevision?

UnderCover

perhaps  amybe there is a way a can connect through sockets...

how would i send and recieve data thorugh them does anyone else ebsides me know php?