• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BnetDocs improvements

Started by Arta, August 09, 2003, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What one feature would you most like to see implemented on BnetDocs?

A rating facility for packets and documents
2 (10.5%)
Better user options (Password change, etc)
2 (10.5%)
Inbuilt forums
1 (5.3%)
Easier ways to contribute material
6 (31.6%)
Documentation for other protocols, not necessarily Bnet related
5 (26.3%)
Other (Please specify)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

|

Arta

I have intentionally not included speed improvements on this list. I've just assumed that everyone wants that :)

Any comments/suggestions are welcome (and encouraged).

Zorm

You should change whatever is needed and then release it as a public script so that it can be used to document other protocols. This is by far the best method I have see of sharing this information.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

iago

I'd a "printable" version of documents, since I'd like to have a hardcopy sitting beside me to work off of instead of having multiple windows open.

It would also be neat to have another way of accessing them, besides using vL's site.  Since I assume it's an sql or some other database, it probably wouldn't be too hard..
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Arta

I have considered writing some kind of proxy application that logs a Battle.net session and retrieves the relevant data from BnetDocs to display within the application itsself, along with breakdowns of each packet by field - showing the data within each field and naming it - but since that kind of application is no longer of any particular use to me, I can't really be bothered. I'd be happy to cooperate with anyone who might feel like writing it, however.

I'd forgotten about printable pages, shall add that.

BnetDocs as it stands wouldn't really be much use to other people if I were to just zip the source and make it downloadable. It allows basically no customisation at all other than by editing the source. I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future though.

UserLoser

More information on the UDP protocol for joining Starcraft games, such as the packet format.

(DWORD) 0x00 - ?
(WORD) - Checksum
(WORD) - Packet length (not including the first DWORD)
(VOID) - Data

And information on what the data is and how you get it. 8)

Hazard

I do support more information on protocols such as the UDP protocols that UserLoser suggested for creating/joining games as well as advanced information on that data. However, I am much more intrigued by iago's idea of printable document versions. I, too, like having a hard copy to work with rather than switch screens when working on something I don't understand very well yet.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

iago

More detailed descriptions of packets/parameters would also be nice :)

sPlOrYgOn

add the packets 0x30 and 0x36 and the 2nd logon sequence! :)

and change it a bit because i got baned again this morning for sum reason.. :( I didn't even type my password wrong

Maddox

asdf.

Camel

How about the WAR3 and W3XP login sequence and its packet formats -- including friends/clan packets.

tA-Kane

Quote from: Camel on August 09, 2003, 08:15 PMHow about the WAR3 and W3XP login sequence and its packet formats -- including friends/clan packets.
The WAR3 and W3XP logon sequences are available for view on the BNLS protocol specification. Though the formats of the specific packets are unknown, it would be nice to have a placeholder on BnetDocs saying "Used in WAR3/W3XP logon, packet format unknown. Use BNLS.", or some such.

Also, a hardcopy version would be quite handy, especially if BnetDocs goes down again... *cough*  :P
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Hazard

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

iago

Quote from: HaZarD on August 10, 2003, 07:24 AM
Quote from: Maddox on August 09, 2003, 07:24 PM
No more down time.

+1 best idea ever.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

Nobody can be expected to have their home computer on 24/7.  Save the files to your harddrive, if you don't like it.

Also, You'll Get Over It.

Arta

It sucks, I know. I seem to be having bad luck recently. Every time I've gotten things stable something else has broken. I've now started over, things are installed, everything seems good. The site should be ok now. It might go down breifly when I have to restart the server or whatnot, but other than that, it should be fine.

Banana fanna fo fanna

My true suggestion is have it be a wiki. That way, let's say I was researching how to make a game bot (I was a while ago). I didn't finish it, but perhaps I could add my information to the wiki. Yes, this would remove certain people's superiority from the bnetdocs access level, but we could all contribute to it.

Since there are a large number of lamers on these forums that would want access, I suggest we log access and have an "undo" feature, because chances are, when someone gets mad on the forums, they'll try to delete the whole thing.

My 2 cents.

|