• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

college and web development

Started by l)ragon, May 13, 2009, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l)ragon

just wondering how many of you are actually in school, or are looking into going for web development.
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

MyndFyre

Quote from: l)ragon on May 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
just wondering how many of you are actually in school, or are looking into going for web development.

I finished school already and have worked in web development for 2 years and 8 months.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yegg

I dropped out twice. Web development is still an interest of mine though.

pianka

school for web development? get a real degree

Yegg

Quote from: pianka on May 14, 2009, 08:52 AM

No one stated that they went to school for web development..

bulletproof tiger

Quote from: pianka on May 14, 2009, 08:52 AM

What's a real degree? One that helps you get a job? Have you ever had a job?

pianka

Quote from: Yegg on May 14, 2009, 11:38 AM

The first part of the sentence states the subject is going to school.  The second part of the sentence uses the preposition "for" followed by "web development"; this means he's asking if anyone is going to or "looking into" getting a degree in web development.

Quote from: bulletproof tiger on May 14, 2009, 02:48 PM

Yes, I'm at work right now.

Anywho, my point is that "going to school for web development" is a waste of time.  If you have any technical prowess, it would be a much better idea to get a degree in something like Computer Science or Electrical Computer Engineering.  These are real degrees.

Also, don't be so defensive.  Unless you're wasting your time studying only web development then I'm not really insulting you...and if you are well then I don't really care what you have to say.

l)ragon

Quote from: MyndFyre on May 13, 2009, 03:18 PM

I finished school already and have worked in web development for 2 years and 8 months.
Staying off the so called real degree for the moment....

How extensive did they get into ASP.Net when you went through?
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

bulletproof tiger

Quote from: pianka on May 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
Quote from: Yegg on May 14, 2009, 11:38 AM

The first part of the sentence states the subject is going to school.  The second part of the sentence uses the preposition "for" followed by "web development"; this means he's asking if anyone is going to or "looking into" getting a degree in web development.

Quote from: bulletproof tiger on May 14, 2009, 02:48 PM

Yes, I'm at work right now.

Anywho, my point is that "going to school for web development" is a waste of time.  If you have any technical prowess, it would be a much better idea to get a degree in something like Computer Science or Electrical Computer Engineering.  These are real degrees.

Also, don't be so defensive.  Unless you're wasting your time studying only web development then I'm not really insulting you...and if you are well then I don't really care what you have to say.
I think it may be tough to go to school just for web develppment. I'd think you'd have to take something like computer science or an IT degree, anyways.

MyndFyre

Quote from: l)ragon on May 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
They didn't; the ASU program is primarily Java-based.  But regardless, my degrees are in political science and psychology.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

l)ragon

Quote from: MyndFyre on May 14, 2009, 11:22 PM
Quote from: l)ragon on May 14, 2009, 05:14 PM
They didn't; the ASU program is primarily Java-based.  But regardless, my degrees are in political science and psychology.
I asume it pays well. Since that is your job.. do you like what your doing?, or sopose i should say, can you see yourself doing this untill retirement.

MyndFyre

Quote from: l)ragon on May 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
I asume it pays well. Since that is your job.. do you like what your doing?, or sopose i should say, can you see yourself doing this untill retirement.
I enjoy what I'm doing.  I'm thinking of looking into consulting, but in a way that would still be flexing my technical chops.

Can I see myself doing it until retirement?  Probably not.  I'd probably move into something like teaching first.  I just don't see it being interesting in perpetuity.  But like so many things - it's hard to see ANYTHING being interesting in perpetuity.

Ishbar

Quote from: Yegg on May 13, 2009, 05:54 PM

There is so much fail behind this.

I find it pointless to go to school for something a Computer can do better than you at; Math, Science, English.
I'm sure Web Development and anything Program related will eventually be unnecessary on mainstream levels. The only practicality many of these jobs have are in education.

Degrees in Philosophy, Law, Psychology, and Medicine will be around for a long time. They all require abstract judgment...something that cannot be manipulated by a computer.

l)ragon

Quote from: Ishbar on May 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote from: Yegg on May 13, 2009, 05:54 PM

There is so much fail behind this.

I find it pointless to go to school for something a Computer can do better than you at; Math, Science, English.
I'm sure Web Development and anything Program related will eventually be unnecessary on mainstream levels. The only practicality many of these jobs have are in education.

Degrees in Philosophy, Law, Psychology, and Medicine will be around for a long time. They all require abstract judgment...something that cannot be manipulated by a computer.
You have poor choice of words, you make it sound like you want to live an amish life.
Sure medicine and law enforcement will be around, so will technology and the people behind that.
As for practicality there is allways freelance work no mater how you look at it, and the more you do, the more likely your to be noticed by somone that might take interest in your work.

Yegg

Ishbar:You're wrong. We will always need people writing code and performing certain calculations. One day, machines can be replacing doctors, you can't just say that it will ALWAYS be people who need to fill those positions. Stop pretending that you know what the future will be like.