• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

college and web development

Started by l)ragon, May 13, 2009, 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: Ishbar on May 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
There is so much fail behind this.

I find it pointless to go to school for something a Computer can do better than you at; Math, Science, ...
Sorry for ot, but I litterly just peed my self.
Unless you're talking AI (then that would contradict you're next statment), you're forgetting computers are little more than tool's.
With out scientific and mathmatic input from human's, computers would be useless and would not exist.
I'm sure somone, somwhere, once said the same thing about math's and calculators -- I'm sure it was the cause of much pant peeing.
You're logic is undesirable.

pianka

It should also be noted that not learning something because it can be done by a computer is utterly inane (no, not insane).  If nobody learned basic math because we have calculators, many years from now we may lose the technology to complete such tasks (whether by war or other means) and nobody will know the foundations of our gathered knowledge.  In this end, we will have regressed so much that all of human effort until that point would basically have been a waste.

Edit: not to mention we're still making advances in all of these subjects

RiffRiot

Until computers (rather; robots) can walk, talk, document, study, and learn on their own.. they will not be replacing humans any time soon in regards to science.  We humans use computers as a tool, not as a substitute.  Wherever there is computers, there will always be technicians, programmers, engineers, consultants, and the list goes on.  Even when internet is in our brains (literally, it's not if... it is when) we will still need people getting education for the very basics of math, science, english, etc.  The only difference is that you will most likely be learning more inside your own head (on the internet, like a virtual classroom maybe? who knows!) rather than in a classroom.  Even so, hands-on education will probably still be more effective.

Don't take everything I say here too seriously, as it is my own opinion on the many possibilities of the future.

pianka

Quote from: RiffRiot on May 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
Until computers (rather; robots) can walk, talk, document, study, and learn on their own.. they will not be replacing humans any time soon in regards to science.  We humans use computers as a tool, not as a substitute.  Wherever there is computers, there will always be technicians, programmers, engineers, consultants, and the list goes on.  Even when internet is in our brains (literally, it's not if... it is when) we will still need people getting education for the very basics of math, science, english, etc.  The only difference is that you will most likely be learning more inside your own head (on the internet, like a virtual classroom maybe? who knows!) rather than in a classroom.  Even so, hands-on education will probably still be more effective.

Don't take everything I say here too seriously, as it is my own opinion on the many possibilities of the future.

Truth.  The only thing that really comes to mind about this whole thread is Wolfram Alpha.  I'm sure many of you have been following this project.  Despite the fact that it needs a new name, I think we will all be experiencing the internet in a much different fashion when it's fully up and running.

l)ragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4DnQ5GlTc

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/03/11/2009-03-11_saya_japans_robot_teacher_can_smile_and_-2.html
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

Yegg

Quote from: l)ragon on May 19, 2009, 01:31 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/03/11/2009-03-11_saya_japans_robot_teacher_can_smile_and_-2.html

I remember when that Japanese robot that looked identical to a Japanese girl tripped and fell down some stairs..

RiffRiot

Quote from: l)ragon on May 19, 2009, 01:31 AM

Although they have made phenomenal leaps and bounds with human-like robots, they have still got a long way to go before robots can take a role similar to a university instructor or scientist out in the field discovering new advancements.  I have seen that Japanese robot on TV before but not that exact video clip.  It still amazes me how far they have come.  :)