• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Linux bncsutil?

Started by brew, February 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

Does anyone out there have a linux bncsutil version?
I kinda need it ^^;;, cause i'll be damned if i have to port all the hashing-stuff on vim...
i would use an actual IDE but i can't, because apparently xorg can't find an input driver matching 'mouse' and 'kbd'... and when I do start it, it's nothing more then a black screen with an X outlined in white in the center. :/
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Barabajagal

Sounds like your Desktop Environment isn't set up correctly. What distro are you using?

brew

Quote from: Andy on February 18, 2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like your Desktop Environment isn't set up correctly. What distro are you using?
I'm using arch with gnome.
<3 Zorm

Barabajagal

Newby

Quote from: brew on February 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
i would use an actual IDE but i can't

Sounds like you should just use Ubuntu.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

brew

Quote from: Newby on February 18, 2008, 05:46 PM

That was low.

@RealityRipple: That wiki article helped a lot, thanks.
<3 Zorm

Barabajagal

What's wrong with Ubuntu? (I like Kubuntu, myself.)

Explicit

Quote from: Newby on February 18, 2008, 05:46 PM
Quote from: brew on February 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
i would use an actual IDE but i can't

lol.

Try running xorgsetup rather than xorgconfig, then go back and change what you need to manually.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Banana fanna fo fanna

brew

It's not xorg that i'm having trouble with, it's gnome. when i try to run gnome-session I get:
(gnome-session:5745): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
           Using the fallback 'C' locale.
(gnome-session:5745): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

which leads me to believe that the problem is because I do not have the startx command (i can only run xorg by using the command 'X'). If that is the problem, how would i edit what command it uses to start xorg? It's definately in a configuration file somewhere.

But none of this changes the fact that i need the linux version of bncsutil.
<3 Zorm

Explicit

I find Gnome to be a bit excessive. Why not use a different window manager?

xwmconfig, go!

brew

Ive got gnome working but it's screwed up somehow: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1691/92502659ty8.gif
Shouldn'tve gnome taken over the x windows? The resizing and moving is so ackward, and actually closing a window is impossible. Not to mention that the taskbar and desktops are actual windows as well!
As for the bncsutil linux version, forget it. I'm going to just port over my own.
<3 Zorm

Explicit

Quote from: brew on February 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
Ive got gnome working but it's screwed up somehow: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1691/92502659ty8.gif
Shouldn'tve gnome taken over the x windows? The resizing and moving is so ackward, and actually closing a window is impossible. Not to mention that the taskbar and desktops are actual windows as well!
As for the bncsutil linux version, forget it. I'm going to just port over my own.

Change your desktop resolution in your VM. You're trying to run it at the same resolution as what your actual OS's display is, which accounts for why you have to scroll.

brew

How is that going to help with gnome's lack of window bars..... I'm perfectly fine scrolling (i usually have it in full screen, but i couldn't screenshot it ;/)

Just wondering, what font is used for most of IRIX? As in the desktop icons et al. in this screenshot: http://www.osnews.com/img/1858/irix1.png
<3 Zorm

K

Have you installed the vmware tools?  It installs a display driver that allows the desktop resolution to fit to whatever you size the VMWare window to.

It also looks to me that you've got the gnome panels running, but not the correct window decorator & manager, which is causing the problems you're having with window titles.  I can't really help you resolve it.  I would suggest installing a distribution that requires less fussing in order to get a working gnome/kde/whatever session.

I had modified a version of bncsutil to build on linux a while ago, but the link I posted there no longer works.  I'll have to dig around on my desktop later to see if I still have the source.