• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Linux bncsutil?

Started by brew, February 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K

I suspect doing "mv anything /usr/bin/ld " will cause your linker not to work.  Why would you do that? 

libbncsutil needs to be in /lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib (etc) or in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You might need to run ldconfig to update any necessary links as well.

brew

Quote from: K on February 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
I suspect doing "mv anything /usr/bin/ld " will cause your linker not to work.  Why would you do that? 

oops :D
I saw that (thought it was a directory) right before the 'not found' error message, and i subconciously thought that i had to move it there.

libbncsutil needs to be in /lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib (etc) or in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You might need to run ldconfig to update any necessary links as well.

Let me try that.

EDIT ** well it works! Thanks for all the help, K.
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Kp

Doesn't your distro have a prebuilt package for libgmp? :p

You should probably alias mv to mv -i and be very careful about deleting anything you don't understand.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

brew

Quote from: Kp on February 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Doesn't your distro have a prebuilt package for libgmp? :p
Nope.

You should probably alias mv to mv -i and be very careful about deleting anything you don't understand.
Good idea :P
<3 Zorm

brew

So, today I finally got a monitor. I figured i would install arch on this tower that i'll hook it up to, right? So i set the bios to boot from the cd, insert the cd, then reboot. It displays this message...
Arch Linux
http://www.archlinux.org
Copyright 2002 - 2007 Judd Vinet <[email protected]>
Distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

ISOLINUX BOOT
Creation Tool: 'mkbootcd' written by Tobias Powalowski <[email protected]>

INSTALLATION / RESCUEBOOT SYSTEM
Arch Linux v0.8 Voodoo
Kernel: 2.6.20-ARCH
Architecture: x86_64
Creation Date: Mo 26. Mär 20:09:55 UTC 2007

Available boot options (no input will boot the install/rescue system):
- 'arch <any_other_boot_option>' to boot the install/rescue system.
- 'arch root=/dev/??? <any_other_boot_option>' to boot into an existing system.
- If you have trouble with IDE drives, use the "ide-legacy" boot option
- If your system hangs during the boot process, any combinations of the
  boot options noapic acpi=off pci=routeirq nosmp may be useful
- 'memtest' to start the memory test program memtest86+.

I type in arch and press enter. You'd expect it to install, right?
Sure! It *almost* installs. It says "Loading vmlinuz", then after a while it says "Loading initrd.img". This is the problem: After it finishes loading (i presume), it reboots. I'm exactly right where i started off, and i can continue doing this ad nauseam. What's the problem?
Note: I'm using a bit of an older system (pentium mmx @ 200mhz, 16384 kb of ram, a cd drive, zip drive, and a floppy drive.) but in theory, it *should* work just fine.
<3 Zorm

Newby

Are you passing root as a boot option?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

brew

<3 Zorm

Newby

Nice job. Wish I would have quoted your mistake. I guess this will have to do.:P

And no, I would expect it to boot a shell for you to type /arch/setup into. But that's just being picky.

Have you checked this Wiki for possible solutions to your problem?

Better: does it reboot in the exact same amount of time each time? Browsing Google for help I ran across this:

QuoteNow, we need to add an entry to lilo.conf(leave out the initrd line if you don't have one) Be sure to specify your new kernel. The panic=30 line tells linux to reboot in 30 seconds if the kernel chokes.

I am not sure if that's the problem (it probably won't be exact, but maybe the loader is set to do something similar) but it's a start I suppose, since there's no other error messages to work with.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

brew

* brew sighs
I did mean to say arch, but i was thinking of root at the time. Oh wow, you screenshotted my post? I feel special <3
<3 Zorm

Kp

I'm a bit surprised it gets even that far, since you're trying to use a x86_64 installation disc on something that's far too old to have amd64 support.  Use an i586 disc instead.

brew

oops! that's what i get for not reading.
<3 Zorm

Newby

I feel retarded too. Damnit.
- Newby

brew

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the problem at all. I tried again with the i686 package (note: it's optimized for the i686 platform, not made specifically for it. i believe it's reverse compatible with any older ix86) with no luck-- it does the same exact thing. Even with the lowmem parameter specified. newby: no, it does not reboot after a specific amount of time, just when it gets to this certain "part". I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly, but it's about 3 3/4ths "dot" lines down of "Loading initrd.img ......." I remember having this problem quite a while ago in vmware too... hmmmmmmm

EDIT**
So i tried installing fbsd, and it does the SAME EXACT THING, except faster. What's going on ? I am using MagicISO to burn the iso images onto disk. Could it make it unbootable or something?
<3 Zorm

Kp

Boot the CD in VMware (it can connect physical drives to the guest).  If that works, it's your old hardware.  If it doesn't, your CD is bad.

Choosing an i686 disc may or may not work, depending on distro.  iirc, a Pentium with MMX is an i586, not an i686.  Some distros build the i686 media with instructions that first appeared in Pentium2, so it may not work on an i586.  That's why I told you to get i586.  A lower choice, like i386 or i486 should also work.  However, iirc, recent glibc dropped support for i386.  You now need at least a 486 to run a recent GNU/Linux. ;)

Newby

Quote from: Kp on February 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
Some distros build the i686 media with instructions that first appeared in Pentium2, so it may not work on an i586.  That's why I told you to get i586.

Unfortunately, it looks like Arch Linux (on this mirror, anyway) only comes with i686 / x86_64 builds. brew may be SOL.

But brew, look: the Ubuntu installer CD is i386! http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu lead me to http://ls.releases.ubuntu.com/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso so I bet you'll get something similar. :)
- Newby

|