Started by Antarctica, November 23, 2007, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

Quote from: Warrior on November 29, 2007, 05:54 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 29, 2007, 08:13 AM
Quote from: Kp on November 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hello, Windows sucks period.

Windows is a sufficiently large construct that such a sweeping generalization is inappropriate.  Some of Microsoft's offerings shipped with Windows do indeed suck, but there are parts that are decent.

It didn't use to be bad, it use to be efficient, but ever since Windows Vista hit the market, my view for Microsoft declined.

Ironic considering your signature sports the Windows Vista color scheme and the login screen wallpaper.

Never said I didn't care for the GUI, It's cute, but as far as performance wise it's shit.

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Barabajagal

Eww... the GUI looks like a shitty knock-off of OSX, which is what it is!

Dale

I like it, but like I said despite MyndFyres' comment, performance is shit.

Warrior

Quote from: Dale on November 30, 2007, 06:05 AM
Quote from: Warrior on November 29, 2007, 05:54 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 29, 2007, 08:13 AM
Quote from: Kp on November 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hello, Windows sucks period.

Windows is a sufficiently large construct that such a sweeping generalization is inappropriate.  Some of Microsoft's offerings shipped with Windows do indeed suck, but there are parts that are decent.

It didn't use to be bad, it use to be efficient, but ever since Windows Vista hit the market, my view for Microsoft declined.

Ironic considering your signature sports the Windows Vista color scheme and the login screen wallpaper.

Never said I didn't care for the GUI, It's cute, but as far as performance wise it's shit.

Performs just fine for me, and I've had it since release. What specifically is slow for you?
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Warrior

Quote from: Andy on November 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
Eww... the GUI looks like a shitty knock-off of OSX, which is what it is!

Except Aero and it's underlying technologies were being shown off at PDCs before OSX got any form of usable compositing+3D Effects.

Additionally, if you find think that a Windows Vista Desktop, and an OSX Desktop look in any way similar you must be smoking something.

Or maybe we should mention how Leopard adopts the Vista Style translucent Menu Bar? Nah.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Barabajagal

It's the entire idea of the round/bubbly/glassy/"Web2.0" shit. I can't stand any of it. I like dark, squared off interfaces that don't make me feel like I'm playing a game designed for a three year old.

brew

Quote from: Andy on November 30, 2007, 04:19 PM
It's the entire idea of the round/bubbly/glassy/"Web2.0" shit. I can't stand any of it. I like dark, squared off interfaces that don't make me feel like I'm playing a game designed for a three year old.
But that's the future of computing! Great, init?
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Dale

Barabajagal

I value ease of use over appearance. Visual styles should be minimal, un-noticed, and not distracting. Windows XP's "Luna" skin was completely and totally pointless. It didn't increase productivity at all. In fact, it made lots of things larger than they needed to be, which takes up workspace. Aero's even worse. It's all bloated, pointless bullshit. I'd rather use a text based system that lets me work without a single thought to the GUI.

brew

Quote from: Andy on December 01, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'd rather use a text based system that lets me work without a single thought to the GUI.
See: Ripple Chat Bot Configuration GUI
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Dale

Quote from: brew on December 01, 2007, 07:34 PM
Quote from: Andy on December 01, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'd rather use a text based system that lets me work without a single thought to the GUI.
See: Ripple Chat Bot Configuration GUI

It was rather repulsive.

Camel

It's pointless to argue over who did what first. Even if the information you use to support your argument is fact, it still doesn't change the bottom line: Aero is egregiously slow.

I've seen benchmarks, supported by my own personal experience, that indicate Aero is responsible for as much as a 150% slowdown in window draw time when compared to the classic windows style. If you've got a top of the line computer with a top of the line graphics card, you probably wont notice the difference, but I for one will not be installing Vista any time soon.

Leopard runs just fine on my MacBook. I've got the GM850 graphics card (it's a shitty integrated Intel card), and it has no problems drawing any of the effects in OSX.

warz

So, you can't run Vista with Aero - who cares?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Camel on December 02, 2007, 05:47 AM
Leopard runs just fine on my MacBook.
I'm sure Windows would run with flying colors on a machine in which Microsoft had all the control over the hardware, too.  ::)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

|