• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Better way to do this?

Started by Barabajagal, September 08, 2007, 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barabajagal

I suppose that'd work better, yes.

On a similar note, is it still correct to do it if it looks like this:

CheckIdleUser = CBool(ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) > 0 And ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleGray", "Y", strConfig) = "Y" And GetTickCount \ 1000 - lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).SubItems(4) > ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) * 60 And lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).ForeColor <> OtherApp.Error)

?

Camel

Congratulations, you totally missed the point.

Replace the code you just cited without the convention, and it's still atrocious. GG no re.

Barabajagal

Naw, I used variables for the ReadINI values before.

brew

<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Barabajagal

Brew... despite the minor topic relevance, wtf?

Camel

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 04:24 PM
Naw, I used variables for the ReadINI values before.

And you should use variables in the contraction, as well. Your example is bad because of the lack of variables, not because of the contraction. Furthermore, no dimwit would be fooled by that logic trap. I'm not sure why you even post it.

brew

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
Brew... despite the minor topic relevance, wtf?
My point was that throughout that entire topic, you said how you had no need for code readability, comments, documentation and anything like that at all, yet in this topic you argue that your version of that code is superior because of readabilty? IIRC you're the code poet, you don't need any amount of readabilty. And compressing your code as camel suggested would not only help make your code much more efficient (the vb6 compiler would actually product very different results) but make it not look plain stupid. Thanks. To be completely honest, I used to make code blocks like that myself... when i just started vb6...
<3 Zorm

Camel

Quote from: brew on September 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
(the vb6 compiler would actually product very different results)
Can you support that statement? Not that I don't believe it, I just don't like to jump to conclusions.

Barabajagal

I don't need readability, other people might. And no, I've tried both ways, and the end compile result is the same.

Banana fanna fo fanna

CheckIdleUser = CBool(ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) > 0
     And ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleGray", "Y", strConfig) = "Y"
     And GetTickCount \ 1000 - lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).SubItems(4) > ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) * 60
     And lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).ForeColor <> OtherApp.Error)

Not too bad.

Camel

You could accomplish the identical result with:

CheckIdleUser = CBool(ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) > 0
CheckIdleUser = CheckIdleUser And ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleGray", "Y", strConfig) = "Y"
CheckIdleUser = CheckIdleUser And GetTickCount \ 1000 - lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).SubItems(4) > ReadINI("Main", "UserIdleTime", "20", strConfig) * 60
CheckIdleUser = CheckIdleUser And lvChannel.ListItems(UserIndex).ForeColor <> OtherApp.Error)

Of course, in a language that short-circuits boolean operators, you'd want to put your safest/fastest operations first. Since VB doesn't, it doesn't matter unless the order of operations is relevant.

brew

That code wouldn't work. You're forgetting a ) on the first line. Not only that, but also why would you be CBool()ing a value that's already a boolean...? And I'm not even mentioning half the other bad coding habits in that sample. I sware to god. If there were no such things as code optimizers we would all be dead because of crappy code. Back in the 70-80s if you wrote it like that you would have been shot.
<3 Zorm

Barabajagal

brew. Stuff it.

"Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem"

UserLoser

use constants make code cleaner and easier to read.

Barabajagal

*sigh* none of this is the important part. Can we try getting back to the topic of this topic?

|