• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BnetDocs: Redux?

Started by Joe[x86], September 02, 2007, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 03, 2007, 10:04 PM
"If this is indeed the will of the council... then Gondor shall see it done."
* Andy signs up and gets ready to fix corrections!

Speaking of which, how does one become an editor?

By asking. If someone is a known contributor to the BNET Bot Development community, and they request to be an editor, usually there's no issue of making them an editor.

Speaking of which, done. Welcome to the editor team. If you have any ideas on how I can improve BNETDocs Redux for editors, I very much would welcome them.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Barabajagal

Wootz. Expect all your "raw" packets to be correctly formatted very soon :D (and my list of corrections to be applied).

BTW. WildBlue is run by evil flip-switching monkeys.

(Edit: yes, I realize it's supposed to be switch-flipping. It's intentional.)

Edit #2: MCP packets complete. Note that I've made some changes to the original information. Said changes are:
C>S MCP_CHARCREATE - Added warning about sending ladder flags for non-ladder settings.
C>S MCP_CHARLOGON - Added warning about attempting to log on to an expansion character from D2DV.
C>S MCP_GAMELIST - Added information about the previously unknown STRING value, which turns out to be an unused (by the official client), fully functional game search system.
S>C MCP_CHARLIST and MCP_CHARLIST2 - I've removed the "Flags" field, as it's actually just the first two bytes of the character statstring (post nomen [after the name]).

Edit #3: When is the Document Editor going to work correctly?
Edit #3.5: Looks like you've got an issue here...
<form method="POST" name="quickjumpform" action="/?op=packet"> when it should be op=doc :P

Edit #4: SID_SYSTEMINFO isn't defunct!

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 04, 2007, 02:28 AM
Wootz. Expect all your "raw" packets to be correctly formatted very soon :D (and my list of corrections to be applied).

BTW. WildBlue is run by evil flip-switching monkeys.

(Edit: yes, I realize it's supposed to be switch-flipping. It's intentional.)

Edit #2: MCP packets complete. Note that I've made some changes to the original information. Said changes are:
C>S MCP_CHARCREATE - Added warning about sending ladder flags for non-ladder settings.
C>S MCP_CHARLOGON - Added warning about attempting to log on to an expansion character from D2DV.
C>S MCP_GAMELIST - Added information about the previously unknown STRING value, which turns out to be an unused (by the official client), fully functional game search system.
S>C MCP_CHARLIST and MCP_CHARLIST2 - I've removed the "Flags" field, as it's actually just the first two bytes of the character statstring (post nomen [after the name]).

Edit #3: When is the Document Editor going to work correctly?
Edit #3.5: Looks like you've got an issue here...
<form method="POST" name="quickjumpform" action="/?op=packet"> when it should be op=doc :P

Edit #4: SID_SYSTEMINFO isn't defunct!

Wow. You're certainly going into it with quite alot of gusto!

The document editor is based on the packet script, so you'll be bound to see some similar stuff in there. The document editor isn't done, but will be done today. As for SID_SYSTEMINFO -- I was going to change it from defunct to normal, but it seems you beat me it to it. :P
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Barabajagal

What can I say, I like proofreading and fixing things.

Joe[x86]

"They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!"

Can I be an editor too? And thanks to everyone for getting this cleared up. I'm eager to see what becomes of all this when BnetDocs v2 (finally) comes to fruition.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=17003.msg172436#msg172436 date=1189203120]
"They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!"

Can I be an editor too? And thanks to everyone for getting this cleared up. I'm eager to see what becomes of all this when BnetDocs v2 (finally) comes to fruition.

I'm assuming you're Tech-InsaneJoey. If you are, your account has been made editor. Thanks for contributing. :)

If that isn't your name, please let me ASAP what your name on BNETDocs Redux is, so I can correct it.
Regards,
Don
-------

Michael

i noticed something missing, before arda's bnetdocs would show you the order of which you send BNCS login packets. may wish to add this as it at one time was helpful to me.

Barabajagal

The order was incorrect in many areas. I'm working on getting a correct order listed.

Michael

i don't even remember the order lol!

Barabajagal

The order shouldn't matter to the average bot writer, as programs should be written in a non-linear, event driven format, anyway. Meaning each packet should be looked for and responded to all the time. Otherwise, if something comes in the wrong order, your program will choke.

Don Cullen

Quote from: -MichaeL- on September 08, 2007, 05:38 PM
i noticed something missing, before arda's bnetdocs would show you the order of which you send BNCS login packets. may wish to add this as it at one time was helpful to me.

http://bnetdocs.dementedminds.net/?op=doc&did=10

There you go. While it still needs to be updated, it's there if you need it for now. Andy, hope that saves you some effort. :)
Regards,
Don
-------

Barabajagal

I'll add more later. Right now I'm going through all the SID packets and formatting them up a bit.

Edit: I also updated a lot of info on this page.

And I'm wondering, do we need to say "This message's official name is not known, and has been invented."?

Edit #2: Add links back in! I need to link to the GetComputerName and GetUserName APIs on MSDN for SID_CLIENTID, as well as some stuff for SID_AUTH_INFO, and I can't :(

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 08, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'll add more later. Right now I'm going through all the SID packets and formatting them up a bit.

Edit: I also updated a lot of info on this page.

And I'm wondering, do we need to say "This message's official name is not known, and has been invented."?

Edit #2: Add links back in! I need to link to the GetComputerName and GetUserName APIs on MSDN for SID_CLIENTID, as well as some stuff for SID_AUTH_INFO, and I can't :(

1) Looks good.

2) No, that's not needed. But if we by some means find out the official name for a packet that was assigned by Blizzard programmers, use that name as the official name. Otherwise, if the official name isn't known, go ahead and make up one. If the battle.net community disagrees with the informal name for it, they can always dispute it and we all can agree on a more appropriate name for the packet. In short, no, "This message's official name is not known, and has been invented." isn't necessary.

3) Add links back in? Is there a problem with links? Last I checked, editors could add links... Could you explain where you're having problems adding links?
Regards,
Don
-------

Barabajagal

Quote from: Don Cullen on September 09, 2007, 07:05 PM
3) Add links back in? Is there a problem with links? Last I checked, editors could add links... Could you explain where you're having problems adding links?
I add a link, and when I save the change, the link isn't there. What else can I say?

Example: http://bnetdocs.dementedminds.net/?op=packet&pid=244

I have the URLs below the API names. The API names should be links to the given URLs. When I try to make it that way and save, it doesn't show as a link, and editing it shows no <a> tag.

Edit:
Got a question. Some packets, such as SID_FRIENDSLIST are only officially used by STAR/SEXP/WAR3/W3XP, but work for any client. Should the 'Used By' field include only what is officially used, or what clients can use the packet?

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on September 09, 2007, 07:11 PM
Quote from: Don Cullen on September 09, 2007, 07:05 PM
I add a link, and when I save the change, the link isn't there. What else can I say?

Example: http://bnetdocs.dementedminds.net/?op=packet&pid=244

I have the URLs below the API names. The API names should be links to the given URLs. When I try to make it that way and save, it doesn't show as a link, and editing it shows no <a> tag.

Edit:
Got a question. Some packets, such as SID_FRIENDSLIST are only officially used by STAR/SEXP/WAR3/W3XP, but work for any client. Should the 'Used By' field include only what is officially used, or what clients can use the packet?

1) Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. Should work fine now.

2) For used by, put down officially used by. For rest of games that can use the packet, mention in remarks that it can be used by the additional games, etc, etc.
Regards,
Don
-------

|