• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BnetDocs: Redux?

Started by Joe[x86], September 02, 2007, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barabajagal

I'm on WildBlue Satellite, which (according to my research) has the best of the FAPs, at 12 gigs every 30 days in a rolling total (whatever you use is removed from the total 30 days later). I max it out a lot. About every 15 days. It's retarded.

Anyway, how is the official name message informative? It really seems pointless to me, so I've been removing it from the packets I've edited. The names are pretty much used by everyone who uses names, and they don't really matter anyway!

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
Anyway, how is the official name message informative? It really seems pointless to me, so I've been removing it from the packets I've edited. The names are pretty much used by everyone who uses names, and they don't really matter anyway!

The official names could be discovered later on (IE, StarCraft II disassembly) and the unofficial names replaced.

EDIT -
One step you could take to speed up the process is to tell me the IP. :P
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Barabajagal

I doubt they'll make SC2 any easier to disassemble (and get names from), but if they do, just replace the names. Saying "this name isn't used by bnet, but any bots that use names use it" to a bunch of bot creators doesn't make sense.

Camel

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
Anyway, how is the official name message informative?

Are you serious!? Find a dictionary, and look up the word information, and tell me that message isn't information. Why do you insist on destroying information? If BNetDocs is supposed to be a useful reference, it's stupid not to put as much information as possible on the site, especially when the justification is that one person didn't care about it.

Also, FWIW, I doubt they'll make the same mistake that they did in the one SC patch that we got the packet names from.

Barabajagal

...It informs you of pointless information. That's not informative -.-

Joe[x86]

BnetDocs was created with the vision of being a true documentation of Battle.net's protocol, and if you put incorrect packet names on there, you're not being true to Blizzard's protocol specification. The least we can do is state that we know we're not being true.

Anyhow, could someone resolve the address for me?
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Barabajagal

We have the numbers. The official clients apparently don't use the names anymore, so the "true" documentation technically shouldn't either.

Camel

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
We have the numbers. The official clients apparently don't use the names anymore, so the "true" documentation technically shouldn't either.

Having never seen their actual code, I can still say with confidence that they do. They released a patch for SC with a battle.snp with some verbose debugging information. They fixed the mistake in the following release. They use constants, which don't appear as text once compiled.

Barabajagal

What do they appear as then? Just the numbers?

Don Cullen

72.47.201.88 is the site ip address, but if you attempt to access it, it'll resolve to dementedminds.net... I can't access bnetdocs redux either. It's extremely annoying.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Hdx

Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2007, 04:15 PMWhat do they appear as then? Just the numbers?
Yes.
The reason some names are know, is because in older versions of SC/D1 there was debug info:
debug::log("Got 0x00 from [SID_ENTERCHAT]");
Shit like that. An actual string literal of the packet name was found in the compiled program.
Thats not done anymore, I assume they simple have a compiler if in there (#if debugBuild) and make sure to toggle that flag before they compile every release. (since its a compiler if, it is just overlooked in public releases)
~Hdx

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Don Cullen

bnetdocs redux is back up and online. domain resolves fine for me.

http://bnetdocs.dementedminds.net

Edit: Users now can comment on packets and documents. Editors and administrators also now have ability to delete comments. Enjoy.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

|