• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Guide to install Windows Vista in 2 minutes!

Started by l2k-Shadow, August 31, 2007, 01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barabajagal

Frustrate the bajezes out of a vetran pc user?

Newby

You figure it'd be the opposite, since there's a terminal where it's basically UNIX underneath...
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: rabbit on September 12, 2007, 10:12 PM
The iPod is great, it's not meant to be upgraded every year or so, like a computer is.  The iPhone is a POS.
How is a computer "meant to be upgraded every year so?"

Quote from: Invert on September 13, 2007, 04:42 AM
What do you mean by "and then some?" What is that "and then some?" What can a Mac do that a PC can't?
After thinking about it, since Mac switched to Intel CPUs, PCs and Macs can both do the same things, especially with VMWare and other virtualization software. Theres nothing one can do that the other cannot. By the way I'm not a Mac fan or anything, both my computers are PCs, I just wanted to point out that there isn't much difference between them in terms of capability.

Barabajagal

Upgrade: Replaceable parts. You can't replace parts on an iPod yourself.

rabbit

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 13, 2007, 08:29 PM
After thinking about it, since Mac switched to Intel CPUs, PCs and Macs can both do the same things, especially with VMWare and other virtualization software. Theres nothing one can do that the other cannot.
Uhh...yeah.  PCs can do everything a Mac can for half the price.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Barabajagal

OOH! ya, that's one thing a mac can do that a pc can't! Charge you shitloads for cheap knockoffs of standard equipment!

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: rabbit on September 13, 2007, 09:57 PM
After thinking about it, since Mac switched to Intel CPUs, PCs and Macs can both do the same things, especially with VMWare and other virtualization software. Theres nothing one can do that the other cannot.
Uhh...yeah.  PCs can do everything a Mac can for half the price.
Yea, people buy them for their design and looks, rather than what it can do. I doubt people that can afford Macs are too worried about money issues anyways.

Quote from: Andy on September 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
OOH! ya, that's one thing a mac can do that a pc can't! Charge you shitloads for cheap knockoffs of standard equipment!
I didn't know a Mac can charge you money, I always thought Apple was the one doing that.

Quote from: Andy on September 13, 2007, 09:30 PM
Replacing and upgrading are 2 separate things. If you replace a battery for example with another identical one, that is not an upgrade.

Barabajagal

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 13, 2007, 10:43 PM
I didn't know a Mac can charge you money, I always thought Apple was the one doing that.

Replacing and upgrading are 2 separate things. If you replace a battery for example with another identical one, that is not an upgrade.

You'd be surprised what you can order through a mac without visiting an actual website ;)

And if you replace a processor you've had for 5 years with the exact same processor, you're either broke or stupid.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: Andy on September 14, 2007, 12:22 AM
Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 13, 2007, 10:43 PM

You'd be surprised what you can order through a mac without visiting an actual website ;)

And if you replace a processor you've had for 5 years with the exact same processor, you're either broke or stupid.
What about faulty components? Maybe I just replaced a component to get it to work, and didn't really need something better.

rabbit

Then you're stupid.  A component is faulty if 1) it's old or 2) it's a piece of crap.  If it's old, you can probably get a better part for the same price you paid for the original.  If it's a piece of crap and you get it again, you're an idiot.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Barabajagal

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: rabbit on September 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
Then you're stupid.  A component is faulty if 1) it's old or 2) it's a piece of crap.  If it's old, you can probably get a better part for the same price you paid for the original.  If it's a piece of crap and you get it again, you're an idiot.
A faulty component doesn't necessarily mean the cause is one of those two things. Besides, my point was that replacing is not the same as upgrading, and not whether the choice of replacement was a smart decision or not.

Upgrading is replacing a component with a better one, but replacing simply means replacing, the replacement could be a crappier or a better one or even the same. Whether it was a smart decision or not is irrelevant in the case I'm trying to make.

Barabajagal

And our point is that anyone who replaces a component with one of equal or lesser quality should not be doing so under normal circumstances. If you replace something, it makes logical sense to upgrade at the same time, since whatever you're replacing's newest version is probably the same price as whatever old version you bought before was when you bought it, if not cheaper.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: Andy on September 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
And our point is that anyone who replaces a component with one of equal or lesser quality should not be doing so under normal circumstances. If you replace something, it makes logical sense to upgrade at the same time, since whatever you're replacing's newest version is probably the same price as whatever old version you bought before was when you bought it, if not cheaper.
... If you agree with me then you agree that replace and upgrade are two different things, if you disagree then you believe that replace and upgrade are the same thing, its that simple. I don't care about whether it makes logical sense to upgrade when replacing. I stated my reasons and examples to support my belief, if you believe otherwise, then please do give explanations of why you think "replace" and "upgrade" mean the same thing. Even though upgrading makes logical sense, does that change the fact that the two words have different meanings?

|