• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BNETDocs Redux

Started by Don Cullen, August 22, 2007, 05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Newby

Quote from: Andy on August 25, 2007, 02:49 PM
It still seems excessive, capitalistic, and pointless.

Capitalistic? :|
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Newby on August 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
Quote from: Andy on August 25, 2007, 02:49 PM
It still seems excessive, capitalistic, and pointless.

Capitalistic? :|

:P Everyone has their own preferences, no matter how strange others might find it. In the programming world, we don't take a true measure based on the man's preferences, but based on his output. And he's already proven himself in that area many times over. :)
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Barabajagal

To me, capitalism has lost the idealism it once had, and is now corrupt excess. Streamlined designs are a perfect example of excessive effort on something that doesn't matter in the least compared to functionality.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Andy on August 26, 2007, 04:35 PM
To me, capitalism has lost the idealism it once had, and is now corrupt excess. Streamlined designs are a perfect example of excessive effort on something that doesn't matter in the least compared to functionality.

Quotecap·i·tal·ism       (kāp'ĭ-tl-ĭz'əm)  Pronunciation Key
n.   An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.

... Dude, capitalism is entirely intended for profit. While I can see why capitalism can be viewed as ugly, but it's also an unfortunate aspect of our reality. If one wants to succeed in life, one has to embrace it.

But that's off the subject. The point of this thread is pretty much BNETDocs Redux. So... Back to the topic. If you two want to argue about capitalism and GUI's, take it to the general forums. :P
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Camel

Your PHP code generator creates DEFINES with double-quoted strings. Use single-quotes to hint to the parser that it's a fixed string, so it won't be forced to look for variables.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Camel on August 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
Your PHP code generator creates DEFINES with double-quoted strings. Use single-quotes to hint to the parser that it's a fixed string, so it won't be forced to look for variables.

Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed. :)
Regards,
Don
-------

rabbit

I was looking over your CSS templates, and I noticed something: you're bad at CSS.  I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but....you are :\

You do weird things, like mix px and em sizing, explicitly declare defaults, and suck at whitespace in general.  For example, your current links setup can be rewritten much more cleanly:
/* current */
a:link{
color: blue;
text-decoration: underline;
text-transform: none;
}

a:visited{
}

a:active{
}

a:hover{
color: #00CCCC;
}

/* what it should be */
a { color: blue; }
a:hover { color: #00CCCC; }

(You can look at my CSS template for a complete reworking in a more efficient way...soon.  I'm not done.)
Also, you lock the size of the packet links to 1, which is mean because it's too damn small.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Don Cullen

Quote from: rabbit on August 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
I was looking over your CSS templates, and I noticed something: you're bad at CSS.  I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but....you are :\

Yep, I freely admit it. I suck at CSS. :-\

Quote(You can look at my CSS template for a complete reworking in a more efficient way...soon.  I'm not done.)

If it looks good, as I'm sure it will, I'll make it the universal default CSS.

QuoteAlso, you lock the size of the packet links to 1, which is mean because it's too damn small.

I did that to keep the packets from expanding the div's they're in too much. I was trying to minimize the amount of space the packets took up in the left side navigation.
Regards,
Don
-------

rabbit

Well, it's mostly finished, but I have some errands to run so it's not perfect.

[edits]
Also, it'd be great if you could throw some \n's into your output of the menus.  Having 500 characters on a single line isn't fun.

Quote from: Don Cullen on August 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
QuoteAlso, you lock the size of the packet links to 1, which is mean because it's too damn small.

I did that to keep the packets from expanding the div's they're in too much. I was trying to minimize the amount of space the packets took up in the left side navigation.
Make a class :\
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Don Cullen

Quote from: rabbitWell, it's mostly finished, but I have some errands to run so it's not perfect.

No worries. BNETDocs Redux can wait, it's not like it'll grind to a halt. ;)
Regards,
Don
-------

Camel

Quote from: Don Cullen on August 27, 2007, 01:00 PM

As discussed earlier, a tactful frame would solve that problem. You mentioned you use PHPMyAdmin - the frame used there is a good example of how to implement frames without pissing off the user.

Don Cullen

I never did like phpMyAdmin. I use it anyway because there's no viable decent alternative that I know of.

I'd rather avoid using frames as long as viable alternatives to frames exist.

To this end, I've added a quick jump form to the nav menu, so people can just type in the packet name and jump to it instead of hunting it down in the list. Later on, I will be restructuring the packet list and how it lists packets, this should further compact the groups and make it easier to read.
Regards,
Don
-------

rabbit

Now, it seems to me that, while I have a widescreen display, the layout of the website is not very 800x600 friendly.

Don Cullen

Regards,
Don
-------

rabbit

|