• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Why slipping currency isn't really that big of a deal...

Started by MyndFyre, June 22, 2006, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

I was thinking on my way to work the other day about interest rates because I'm thinking about buying a house.  And it occured to me that slipping currency value isn't that big of a deal.

Interest rates were at an all-time low (from the last 20 years) in the last few years in order to offset the recession that the Clinton presidency left us with.

By lowering interest rates so much, they made money more accessible to more people - essentially, they increased the money supply.  They didn't actually create more money (they may have, but that's not the operative factor that I'm focused on).  They simply made money more accessible to people; more people bought houses and borrowed money from banks.  People who already owned homes bought up or refinanced.  Investors went nuts.

An obvious side effect of this was the huge increase in property value in places like California and Arizona.  International trade rates were affected as well, although not nearly as much as in real property.

If this is correct, when interest rates go back up, following some lag time, housing prices will fall (not necessarily as much as they went up), and the value of the currency will increase relative to other places in the country.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

Yeah.

Problem with all of that, though...it seems like alot of people (around here at least) take out BIG loans to buy WAY overpriced houses, and other loans for cars/applicances/etc.  When the housing starts to slow our entire economy will feel that (our being our city).  People will make less money, less jobs will be avalible, less stuff will be sold.  People will default on loans & they'll lose their things :(
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

Yeah, that is the big problem right there... You use your house as security for a loan. Property prices go down. The value of your house no longer covers the loan. You are forced to sell, and you still have a debt to the bank.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on June 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
Yeah, that is the big problem right there... You use your house as security for a loan. Property prices go down. The value of your house no longer covers the loan. You are forced to sell, and you still have a debt to the bank.
I can't speak to California, where things are much more extreme, but last year the bank wouldn't let you buy unless you could put a substantial downpayment.  Interestingly, people were buying houses for more than they would appraise for; this year, where it's fairly normal, the housing inventory is 36,000 at the moment.  Last year, it was 8,000.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.