• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Someone recommend me a good laptop...

Started by powered by nissan, April 30, 2006, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powered by nissan

I know theres a few computer guys on here. Ill be needing a laptop for when I go off to college next year. So what are some good laptops I should look into within these boundaries/expectations.

1. MAX budget is 900
2. I want it to be reliable
3. Want something with a good processor
4. at least 60GB of space if not more
5. Good all around notebook to do write papers and stuff on
7. I want it to handle FPS games so anything that can play games such as Unreal Tournament 2004 or Counterstrike CZ on maybe primary resolution and even Half Life 2 on real low settings. I want decent moderate graphics. I dont expect the best but would want to play the occasional games if Im bored.
8. I want new

Does anyone have any evalue codes to use with dell?

CrAz3D

Go to one of those "Build Your Own" sections of Dell or HP (or whoever) and find what best fits you for the best price.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

MyndFyre

I don't think you can expect to play good FPS games on a $900 notebook.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

powered by nissan

Quote from: CrAz3D on May 01, 2006, 12:05 AM
Go to one of those "Build Your Own" sections of Dell or HP (or whoever) and find what best fits you for the best price.
Good idea.
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on May 01, 2006, 12:18 AM
So all of them with a integrated graphics wont be able to handle FPS games on low resoultion?

Forged

Good luck with that.  anything under $900 is going to be a base system.  My laptop can handle games fairly well but it isn't exceptional and it cost $1300....
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

quasi-modo

Quote from: powered by nissan on May 01, 2006, 12:38 AM
Quote from: CrAz3D on May 01, 2006, 12:05 AM
Good idea.
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on May 01, 2006, 12:18 AM
So all of them with a integrated graphics wont be able to handle FPS games on low resoultion?
All laptops have integrated graphics, when you are working with that much room everything has to be onboard. But you would want something with mobile ati x something, or mobile nvidia or something. But 900 dolalr notebooks come with SiS integrated graphics, and Intel integrated graphics, and you can use them for practical things, but don't expect to game on them. The idea of a gaming laptop is stupid because it is expencive in not very feasible, if you have this burning desire to game youre going to have to spring for the extra price of a sager, or xps, or upgraded msi, asus, or like acer ferrari or something. You wiill have to pay much more than 900 for something like that.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Meh

I have a Packard Bell, 3ghz Pentium 4, 512mb RAM, 40gbHDD, Geforce 5500MX Go GFZ card. It cost £400 which is roughley $900. It was ex display. Try looking for them. Hanst failed on me yet.

l)ragon

You can normaly talk the store owners down in price on their floor models(ones that are on display) also so keep that in mind.
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

powered by nissan

Ill look into the store ones. but people touched them and stuff  :( but heres a great deal but it expires today. nooooo http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=07979&oc=d80412j&x=5&y=7

rabbit

Colleges often get great discounts...I know that Drexel (which I'm blabbing about a lot) has deals with companies (IBM, Gateway, Mac, HP, Dell, and some others) which drop about $600 off the base.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: powered by nissan on April 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
1. MAX budget is 900
Ouch.

Especially with laptops which aren't all that fast in the first place, I really have to stress the gospel message here.. "LINUX LOVES YOU."

See #2.

Seems standard now. Shouldn't be hard to come by.

That'll be insanely easy with anything even semi-modern. =)

7. I want it to handle FPS games so anything that can play games such as Unreal Tournament 2004 or Counterstrike CZ on maybe primary resolution and even Half Life 2 on real low settings. I want decent moderate graphics. I dont expect the best but would want to play the occasional games if Im bored.
For $900 all you can do is pray.

8. I want new
Refer to 7.

Nope.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

topaz

I know theres a few computer guys on here. Ill be needing a laptop for when I go off to college next year. So what are some good laptops I should look into within these boundaries/expectations.

1. MAX budget is 900
8. I want new

If you want it to handle FPS games, it's going to be rather heavy - if you're not planning on bringing it to class, cafes, etc to do work, then get a Shuttle.

Take a look at this, lots of great discounts.
RLY...?