• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

To build a wall (of any sort) or not

Started by CrAz3D, April 30, 2006, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a wall built across the US-Mexico border?

WALL
10 (52.6%)
NO WALL
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

CrAz3D

Quote from: raylu on May 02, 2006, 10:47 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on May 02, 2006, 12:15 AM
Quote from: raylu on May 01, 2006, 10:51 PM
Quote2) If there is a wall & good checkpoints itd be much harder to get illegals here, I don't think people would risk it as much...they'd just come legally & pay taxes
How many illegals came here to avoid taxes?
...what?
Illegals came here to work and make as much money as they can to send home, if they dont pay taxes tey have more money to send home
I think what MyndFyre and me are saying is that the issue isn't taxes. Sure, they take something out of our economy, but they come here because they seek better economic statuses/opportunities. They come here illegally because we bar them otherwise.
"Bar them otherwise"...do you mean not allow them to come here legally?  Maybe if more people came legally we could spend less money on illegal immigration issues & more people could come, then.
We're not forcing them into a "last resort" kinda thing.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

raylu

Hm...I'm not sure I can find the information I want since this is such a hot topic right now; I get blasted with search results about other stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigrant#United_States
QuoteIn 1965 the US removed all nation-specific quotas, while retaining an overall quota, and included immigrants from Mexico and the Western Hemisphere for the first time. This changed the composition of the new arrivals from mostly European, to a variety including many Asians. But in the 1990s the U.S. government again tightened restrictions on immigration.

http://www.cis.org/articles/1995/back395.html
Quote1976 Amendments to Immigration and Nationality Act — Extended a version of the seven-category preference system previously applied to Eastern Hemisphere countries to all Western Hemisphere countries. Also imposed an annual ceiling of 20,000 immigrants from any one country in the Western Hemisphere.

1978 Amendments to Immigration and Nationality Act — The two hemispheric ceilings were combined into a worldwide quota of 290,000. The U.S. now had a policy that, on paper, applied uniformly to the people of all countries.

Basically, I'm getting at the quota thing. They come here because they cannot get a visa to enter.

Pie?

CrAz3D

Quote from: raylu on May 02, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hm...I'm not sure I can find the information I want since this is such a hot topic right now; I get blasted with search results about other stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigrant#United_States
QuoteIn 1965 the US removed all nation-specific quotas, while retaining an overall quota, and included immigrants from Mexico and the Western Hemisphere for the first time. This changed the composition of the new arrivals from mostly European, to a variety including many Asians. But in the 1990s the U.S. government again tightened restrictions on immigration.

http://www.cis.org/articles/1995/back395.html
Quote1976 Amendments to Immigration and Nationality Act — Extended a version of the seven-category preference system previously applied to Eastern Hemisphere countries to all Western Hemisphere countries. Also imposed an annual ceiling of 20,000 immigrants from any one country in the Western Hemisphere.

1978 Amendments to Immigration and Nationality Act — The two hemispheric ceilings were combined into a worldwide quota of 290,000. The U.S. now had a policy that, on paper, applied uniformly to the people of all countries.

Basically, I'm getting at the quota thing. They come here because they cannot get a visa to enter.

But doesn't what you just said say that we are doing the immigration indiscriminately?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

raylu

You mean
QuoteI think what MyndFyre and me are saying is that the issue isn't taxes. Sure, they take something out of our economy, but they come here because they seek better economic statuses/opportunities. They come here illegally because we bar them otherwise.
or
QuoteHow many illegals came here to avoid taxes?
?

I'm saying they come here indiscriminately (in the first one). They're illegal because of the quota.
Pie?

CrAz3D

Quote from: raylu on May 03, 2006, 08:41 PM
You mean
QuoteI think what MyndFyre and me are saying is that the issue isn't taxes. Sure, they take something out of our economy, but they come here because they seek better economic statuses/opportunities. They come here illegally because we bar them otherwise.
or
QuoteHow many illegals came here to avoid taxes?
?

I'm saying they come here indiscriminately (in the first one). They're illegal because of the quota.
Then they are doing it wrong, we shouldn't cater to them just because our quota is already met for the year or whatever
(ré-bun-dance)

raylu

No, I'm saying that they don't come here to avoid taxes. That doesn't make our quota system is wrong, that just means that
Quote2) If there is a wall & good checkpoints itd be much harder to get illegals here, I don't think people would risk it as much...they'd just come legally & pay taxes
is wrong.
Pie?

CrAz3D

Quote from: raylu on May 03, 2006, 10:48 PM
No, I'm saying that they don't come here to avoid taxes. That doesn't make our quota system is wrong, that just means that
is wrong.
I know they don't come to avoid taxes, but if they HAVE to be documented (citizens or workers) then itd be harder for them to get away from paying taxes
(ré-bun-dance)

WoOdTroll

Craz3d, you said it yourself that they come here not to pay taxes.

QuoteI DO care that they drive around here without insurance, they use our health insurance, they pay no taxes...all free of charge.

Now you say "I know they don't come to avoid taxes," make up your mind will yeah?

Quit acting like they all do it too.

Personally I wish you were mexican so I could be this prejudice against you. See how you feel after I call you a criminal for what others do.

CrAz3D

Quote from: WoOdTroll on May 04, 2006, 11:22 PM

QuoteI DO care that they drive around here without insurance, they use our health insurance, they pay no taxes...all free of charge.

Now you say "I know they don't come to avoid taxes," make up your mind will yeah?

Personally I wish you were mexican so I could be this prejudice against you. See how you feel after I call you a criminal for what others do.
I've NEVER said they come specifically to not pay taxes, I've just said that they come here and don't pay taxes.  They're main intent isn't to avoid taxes, it is to make money, but they avoid taxes anyway.

ALL illegal aliens are criminals, I haven't been prejudice against any mexicans, I'm only singling out illegal aliens.
(ré-bun-dance)

topaz

Quote from: WoOdTroll on May 04, 2006, 11:22 PM

You're talking like an illegal... or is it just your horribly poor English?

I've been watching CNN/Fox lately (both of which are extremely biased, as I've seen), and it's pathetic. The only excuses these folks have are "why are you designating immigrants as felons? THEY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG EXCEPT WANT TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES!", "this country was made up of immigrants, why are you alienating them? they're innocent people!"

Face it: we're not being racist, and we're not particularly biased - we just don't want you leeching millions of dollars from our country, taking jobs that belong to others, and tempting corporations to cut corners.
RLY...?

Grok

Quote from: Topaz on May 05, 2006, 12:43 AM
Face it: we're not being racist, and we're not particularly biased - we just don't want you leeching millions of dollars from our country, taking jobs that belong to others, and tempting corporations to cut corners.

So you're fine with the ones that pay their own way, and agree they should be allowed to stay and become proud US citizens.  Is that correct?

|