• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What are some good anti-abortion/abortion points?

Started by CrAz3D, April 18, 2006, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 23, 2006, 05:14 AM
Quote from: Adron on April 22, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, and abortion is convenient birth control; if you don't want to limit births, ban all forms of preventatives and make sex mandatory for all fertile citizens... ;)
Wait a second, who said anything about limiting births?  This debate IMO has absolutely nothing to do with the rights of either or both parents; it exclusively has to do with the right of the unborn child.  Individually, neither a sperm nor an egg has enough genetic material to constitute a human being; once combined however, it does.

IMO, the unborn child has very few rights. Just like a cat, dog, or horse has very few rights. And this debate, which hasn't started yet, is going to be a lot about viewpoints on whether life is sacred or not, and if so, which life is sacred. Some religious speakers prohibit all preventatives. That viewpoint should be taken into account, and you should be prepared to explain why certain potential is more protected than other potential. It is also a lot about obligations - what obligations a pregnant female has, and which she can be allowed to release. And if you bring up genetic material, it is also about the rights of a drop of blood, or the rights of a hair follicle.

MyndFyre

Does a drop of blood contain enough activated DNA to cause the entire range of cells in the human body to form?  Does a hair follicle?

I'm not going to debate on the side of (for example, Catholics) which do not allow birth control.  It is not my viewpoint, and I will not defend it, and it has no bearing whatsoever on mine.  So you can debate at it all day long why it's wrong -- I really don't care.

IMO the only obligation a pregnant woman has is to carry her pregnancy to term (unless it without a doubt threatens her ability to live through the term of the pregnancy and delivery -- not her livelihood).  At that point, in Arizona, we have a law that allows mothers to drop their babies off at several "safe drop zones" including firehouses and hospitals, no questions asked.  The child is given up for adoption.

In cases of consensual sex, the woman made a choice with the understanding that there is an amount of risk involved regardless of whether she's on the pill and/or they use a condom.  A life that results from that choice should be protected, as that is one of the purposes of government -- to protect the rights of those who cannot defend their own rights. 
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on April 23, 2006, 06:13 PM
IMO, the unborn child has very few rights. Just like a cat, dog, or horse has very few rights. And this debate, which hasn't started yet, is going to be a lot about viewpoints on whether life is sacred or not, and if so, which life is sacred. Some religious speakers prohibit all preventatives. That viewpoint should be taken into account, and you should be prepared to explain why certain potential is more protected than other potential. It is also a lot about obligations - what obligations a pregnant female has, and which she can be allowed to release. And if you bring up genetic material, it is also about the rights of a drop of blood, or the rights of a hair follicle.
Why does the unborn child have as few rights as a dog/cat/horse?

A drop of blood is not a forming human, it does not have the same potential, blood drops & a fetus cannot be compared.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
Does a drop of blood contain enough activated DNA to cause the entire range of cells in the human body to form?  Does a hair follicle?

Whether it is activated or not, it contains enough DNA. With activation, it could form a human body. Just like a foetus can form a human body under the right conditions only.

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 23, 2006, 06:33 PMIMO the only obligation a pregnant woman has is to carry her pregnancy to term (unless it without a doubt threatens her ability to live through the term of the pregnancy and delivery -- not her livelihood).  At that point, in Arizona, we have a law that allows mothers to drop their babies off at several "safe drop zones" including firehouses and hospitals, no questions asked.  The child is given up for adoption.

In cases of consensual sex, the woman made a choice with the understanding that there is an amount of risk involved regardless of whether she's on the pill and/or they use a condom.  A life that results from that choice should be protected, as that is one of the purposes of government -- to protect the rights of those who cannot defend their own rights. 

My viewpoint is that life resulting from that choice should be given the same protection all other life is given. And that a woman can have consensual sex, knowing that should an unintended process similar to cancer or a wart be started, then that process can be aborted.

CrAz3D

The fetus already has the right conditions, the blood is just sitting there idle until something intervenes
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on April 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
The fetus already has the right conditions, the blood is just sitting there idle until something intervenes

See, change is just change. And there are no static "right conditions" - a fetus requires constant nurturing or it will die. Stopping everything around the fetus right where it is, for example, no longer intervening to remove carbondioxide from its blood, would mean that it does not develop into a human being.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on April 23, 2006, 08:22 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on April 23, 2006, 07:43 PM

See, change is just change. And there are no static "right conditions" - a fetus requires constant nurturing or it will die. Stopping everything around the fetus right where it is, for example, no longer intervening to remove carbondioxide from its blood, would mean that it does not develop into a human being.
Wouldn't "intervention" be interrupting a smething that is already going on?  Since the fetus is already developing, intervention would be something like abortion/c-section, no?
(ré-bun-dance)

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on April 23, 2006, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't "intervention" be interrupting a smething that is already going on?  Since the fetus is already developing, intervention would be something like abortion/c-section, no?

That probably depends on how you want to view things. Intervention is not a good term to assign value to. From a different viewpoint, the fetus is about to die at each second, but saved by another heartbeat.

CrAz3D

But that heart beat is apart of the natural process, not an outside interrupting process.
(ré-bun-dance)

Arta

I thought I'd just dip into this thread to offer my perspective.

I am pro-choice. Personally, I rather dislike abortion. I think that the lines people draw between a foetus being or not being human are arbitrary. I do not think that abortion is equivalent to murder, but equally as much, to abort a pregnancy is not an innocuous act. A life is ended.

Nonetheless, I am firmly pro-choice, and this thread perfectly demonstrates my reasoning: abortion is a terribly complicated isssue, no matter what the pro-life lobby says. There are equally as compelling arguments for and against it. There is no clear correct path and no possibility for compromise. For that reason, I think that to legislate on the issue -- beyond setting the basic limits that currentely exist in most nations where abortion is legal -- is not appropriate. Whether or not to abort a pregnancy must be a decision for indivduals to make, according to their own conscience.

It is my hope that, one day, humanity's continually evolving sense of morality will deem abortion to be unacceptable, and that this will be reflected by people's choices. However, to force people along that path would be wrong in my view, and as such, I feel that abortion should enjoy the same status as the rest of healthcare: it should be legal, widely and easily accessible by all, and free at the point of need.

|