• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Religious Knives???

Started by CrAz3D, March 03, 2006, 12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

http://images.google.com/images?q=sikh%20dagger&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060302/wl_canada_nm/canada_religion_canada_sikh_col

How does that make sense?
I can see accept little crosses or something, but an 8" knife?
Shouldn't safety TOTALLY trump "religious freedom" in this case?

Canada, Oh Canada, what crazy nuts are in your courts?

QuoteOrthodox Sikhs have been required to carry kirpans since the 1600s. Some say the original purpose was for defense but many insist it is not a weapon.

Oh yeah, that TOTALLY isn't a weapon?

At what point should people stopping bending over backwards for stupid things like this?

Does this decision make sense to anyone here?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

topaz

Has there ever been an incident where these knives have injured someone (excluding self defense)? Religious issues are very touchy, and (most) governments don't want to come off as biased in cases like these.
RLY...?

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on March 03, 2006, 12:17 AM
Has there ever been an incident where these knives have injured someone (excluding self defense)? Religious issues are very touchy, and (most) governments don't want to come off as biased in cases like these.
That specific knife?  I dunno
Since the Sikh? people used to carry them for defense back in the day I'd assume they were used for fighting.

But an 8" dagger in school?  What kind of math class are you failing, come on now
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Glove

Thanks moderators, you deleted my humorous post.

Anyhow, it is rediculously to assert that it isn't a weapon ... its a knife.
However, in the early church, Christians were persecuted.  Times were also different, it's not like they had the national guard or the police ... some of them even had body guards.   It makes sense that they carried some sort of weaponry.  I hear some of the early Catholic bishops were trained militants.
GNU/Linux sucking:
       This program does not support a "wheel group" that restricts who can su
       to super-user accounts, because that can help fascist  system  adminis-
       trators hold unwarranted power over other users.

QuoteOpenBSD developer Bob Beck said it's hard to get quality code out of the Linux development model where features are added from a random bunch of maintainers doing stuff on their own.

Why are string.h, malloc.h and other standard libraries in /usr/include/linux?
Simple, Linux sucks.

CrAz3D

I MADE sense that they carry a knife.  Knives are very useful, I always carry one.  I didn't take one to school ever, I would been suspened...after that I would've got the belt.
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

There was a very large debate about this over the last couple weeks. 

The people have to carry the daggers as part of their religion.  They aren't allowed to draw them, and nobody has ever been injured by one.  In Canada, we have religious freedom, and this is part of it.  Like it or not, Sheik children are allowed to celebrate their religion. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

CrAz3D

Quote from: iago on March 03, 2006, 10:24 AM
There was a very large debate about this over the last couple weeks. 

The people have to carry the daggers as part of their religion.  They aren't allowed to draw them, and nobody has ever been injured by one.  In Canada, we have religious freedom, and this is part of it.  Like it or not, Sheik children are allowed to celebrate their religion. 
But shouldn't pverall safety trump the religion?

Say Sihk kid is in some sort of scuffle @ school the knife comes out (by him or by the other student)...that just seems nuts to allow KIDS to tote knives around in class.

Out of curiosity, anyone know the requirements to be a religion?
I want to start one that requires me to be intoxicated during all history/government type classes from age 15 on.
I also NEED to carry a 9mm pistol from age 9 to protect myself from daemons that materialize themselves.
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

So far, nobody has been injured by the dagger.  So what safety issue?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the dagger is secured in the sheath so that it can't easily be drawn.  That would make it pretty safe.

And I don't know what the requirement for forming a religion is, but I'd like to find out. :P.  Seriously though, I doubt anybody can just go ahead and start their own religion.  That would be calle d cult. 

CrAz3D

yeah, I recall reading that thing about the Brazilian (wtf are brazilians doing in my state!?) tea.

Quote# A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

I believe I can find people to join me, not follow me, in a quest for a greater existance.  Being intoxicated while in a gov/hist class could allow us to look at things from other points of views (maybe some that don't exist ;)).
The 9mm is strictly for protection from evils that materialize themselves.

Its all very logical, really.

Kids aren't allowed to take knives to school for the same reason I can't take a 9mm (now, not in my religion) into a schol & say "Hey, its ok dudes, I have the safety on".
(ré-bun-dance)

Arta

I agree with Crazed. Religion has no place in schools -- other than for academic study.

iago

Religion is part of the person, whether or not he's going to school.  That basically limits his choices:
- Not go to school
- Go to a private school designed for himself and the few others in the country (the population is so sparse that wouldn't work)
- Practice his religion at school

Incidentally, my city had an unofficial phone-in poll on issue.  As accurate or inaccurate that that is aside, people voted 89% in favor of allowing the dagger. 

CrAz3D

Quote from: iago on March 03, 2006, 06:23 PM
Religion is part of the person, whether or not he's going to school.  That basically limits his choices:
- Not go to school
- Go to a private school designed for himself and the few others in the country (the population is so sparse that wouldn't work)
- Practice his religion at school

Incidentally, my city had an unofficial phone-in poll on issue.  As accurate or inaccurate that that is aside, people voted 89% in favor of allowing the dagger. 
or just MAYBE he could enter the twenty first century & stop carry a knife designed 400+ years ago?

89% in support of carry weapons to school!?  That has got to be the most fucking ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life!
Would your crazy town be supportive of "hallucenigenic tea" too?  What happens when a religion uses meth?  Should kids coming trippin out & steal the knives of the Sikh kids & stab the principal cause they thought he was coming to take their virginity or something?

Allowing this is just openning a Pandora's Box
(ré-bun-dance)

Joe[x86]

CrAz3D, I hope you realize you blew that TOTALLY out of porportion. We have kids carrying hammers (real metal hammers, not just toys) around our school for no reason whatsoever, and they don't get in trouble. Why? Because they don't use them.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2006, 04:24 PM
CrAz3D, I hope you realize you blew that TOTALLY out of porportion. We have kids carrying hammers (real metal hammers, not just toys) around our school for no reason whatsoever, and they don't get in trouble. Why? Because they don't use them.
By the same logic I could carry a 9mm into class & be ok because I don't use it.
I'd LOVE to carry a 9mm to class, but I can't buy one til I'm 23? I think.  That's dumb, its not like I'm going to kill anyone with it.

Would you, personally, feel safe if you knew every gang member in your school carried a gun to class?
(ré-bun-dance)

topaz

Quote from: CrAz3D on March 04, 2006, 05:57 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2006, 04:24 PM
By the same logic I could carry a 9mm into class & be ok because I don't use it.
I'd LOVE to carry a 9mm to class, but I can't buy one til I'm 23? I think. That's dumb, its not like I'm going to kill anyone with it.

Would you, personally, feel safe if you knew every gang member in your school carried a gun to class?

That doesn't fit; gangs have a history of violence, but, AFAIK, Orthodox Sikh's don't.
RLY...?