• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Interest Compounded Annually for 30 yrs.

Started by CrAz3D, February 28, 2006, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Original amount is $50,000.  Interest rate is a constant 10% per year.  What is my total at the end of 30 years?

What forumla do I use to figure this out?
Thanks
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Rule

Is this continuously compounded interest (usually is in real life situations), or is interest tacked on only once a year? If it's the latter, you should easily be able to derive the appropriate formula.

K

Let's see if I remember correctly...

Amount = Principle*(1 + Rate/c)^(N*c)

Where c is the number of times it is compounded per year, and N is the number of years.  In your case, c == 1, so

A = Principle * (1 + Rate)^Years

CrAz3D

Quote from: RageOfOrder @ F150Online.comis this compounding interest or not?

basically the formula is:
P(1+ r/n)^nt

where
P = principle amount
r = interest rate (in percent)
n = number of payments per year
t = number of years

so we have 50,000 (1 + (.1/1)) ^(1*30)
which = $872,470.11
That is correct IF it is compound interest.

If not, then it is simply (10% of 50,000) * 30 and then add that to the original 50,000
Leaving you with $200,000.00

Interest is compounded in & interest builds off previously made interest (I don't recall specific terms that we used in algebra, I haven't done stuff like this in 6 years.)

This is real world, too, btw.

Thanks for the help.  Math is annoying.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Rule

It will be continuously compounded interest.  This is something you should be able to derive.   

http://www.moneychimp.com/articles/finworks/continuous_compounding.htm

topaz

RLY...?

Yoni

After 0 years you have 50,000
After 1 year you have 50,000 * 1.1
After 2 years you have (50,000 * 1.1) * 1.1 = 50,000 * 1.1^2
After 3 years you have (50,000 * 1.1^2) * 1.1 = 50,000 * 1.1^3
After n years you have 50,000 * 1.1^n

50,000 * (1.1^30) == 872,470.11

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on March 01, 2006, 11:01 AM
10% interest rate?! WHAT BANK?!
It is invest ments.  That was the projected average annual interest return over 30 years.  There were some years where loss was 20%.

Thanks Yoni!
(ré-bun-dance)

Rule

Ugh no.  That is not the answer you want.  Continuously compounded interest.

Think about the number 'e', or click that link I posted.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Rule on March 01, 2006, 09:19 PM
Ugh no.  That is not the answer you want.  Continuously compounded interest.

Think about the number 'e', or click that link I posted.

uh, I think thats the number I wanted.

like 10% of 50k after the first yr is 55k.  then add 10% of that for the next yr.
(ré-bun-dance)

Rule

I don't think it is.  It is if interest is actually compounded only every year.  In almost every case, this is not so.  For example, if you invested $50000, you would probably have accumulated interest on it after a day, or a month, or two months.  The formula Yoni derived would suggest that your $50000 stays at exactly $50000 until after a year has passed.  This could very well be what was intended if it is some sort of obscure investment.  I would confirm, however, that they are not talking about expected gain of continuously compounded interest, compounded at a rate 'r = 10%' for a year.

Anyways, your total would be
1,004,276.85   if it is.

Glove

Quote from: Rule on March 02, 2006, 12:47 AM
I don't think it is.  It is if interest is actually compounded only every year.  In almost every case, this is not so.  For example, if you invested $50000, you would probably have accumulated interest on it after a day, or a month, or two months.  The formula Yoni derived would suggest that your $50000 stays at exactly $50000 until after a year has passed.  This could very well be what was intended if it is some sort of obscure investment.  I would confirm, however, that they are not talking about expected gain of continuously compounded interest, compounded at a rate 'r = 10%' for a year.

1,004,276.85   if it is.

Too bad continuously compounded interest is not used often.  It would be faster to grow money since at every moment it is growing (rather than every month, quarter or year).
GNU/Linux sucking:
       This program does not support a "wheel group" that restricts who can su
       to super-user accounts, because that can help fascist  system  adminis-
       trators hold unwarranted power over other users.

QuoteOpenBSD developer Bob Beck said it's hard to get quality code out of the Linux development model where features are added from a random bunch of maintainers doing stuff on their own.

Why are string.h, malloc.h and other standard libraries in /usr/include/linux?
Simple, Linux sucks.

Rule

Quote from: Glove on March 02, 2006, 11:18 AM

1,004,276.85   if it is.

Too bad continuously compounded interest is not used often.  It would be faster to grow money since at every moment it is growing (rather than every month, quarter or year).

Which is why it is often used.  Think about it.  Interest rates are a lot higher on loans than on deposits in banks and on most investments.

Glove

Quote from: Rule on March 02, 2006, 11:25 AM
Quote from: Glove on March 02, 2006, 11:18 AM

1,004,276.85   if it is.

Which is why it is often used.  Think about it.  Interest rates are a lot higher on loans than on deposits in banks and on most investments.

I have some understanding of the actuarial sciences.  It is rarely used there.  In fact, when I took an interest theory course, it wasn't even discussed.
GNU/Linux sucking:
       This program does not support a "wheel group" that restricts who can su
       to super-user accounts, because that can help fascist  system  adminis-
       trators hold unwarranted power over other users.

QuoteOpenBSD developer Bob Beck said it's hard to get quality code out of the Linux development model where features are added from a random bunch of maintainers doing stuff on their own.

Why are string.h, malloc.h and other standard libraries in /usr/include/linux?
Simple, Linux sucks.

CrAz3D

I know that the 2 CDs I openned yesterday are compounded dailr, one at 4.2% & the other at 4.3% annual percentage
(ré-bun-dance)