• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Recycling: Waste of time?

Started by Networks, February 15, 2006, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on February 16, 2006, 04:07 PM
And obviously there are different reasons for recycling different things. We are not running out of glass, but we don't want crushed glass spread around outdoors. Solution to that - make sure people return them.
About 4-5 years ago here in Las Cruces we got our first private hospital, its quite nice, its also built ontop of an old dump.  You can look out the windows of the hospital & see glass shining on hills around that area, its quite amusing and sorta disturbing because you don't know what else is there.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

iago

Quote from: Thing [vL] on February 16, 2006, 03:23 PM
One of my largest clients is a privately owned recycling company.  There is a lot of profit being made in that industry regardless of whether or not private citizens recycle their waste or not.  They have plants scattered all over the south and they generally deal in large volumes of materials.  I mean large as in train loads, not a plastic bag full of your empty beer cans. For example, they have a contract with Texas Motor Speedway.  After every event they take all of the waste from the track, sort it out, and sell it on the market.  Recycled materials are treated as a commodity and bought and sold in bulk.  I can't comment on whether or not recycling is good for the environment, but I do know that recycling provides jobs for people and gives me a nice size network to manage.
Wait a minute; I'm giving them my recyclables for free every week, and they're selling them?  I think I see a problem here...

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 16, 2006, 04:33 PM
About 4-5 years ago here in Las Cruces we got our first private hospital, its quite nice, its also built ontop of an old dump.  You can look out the windows of the hospital & see glass shining on hills around that area, its quite amusing and sorta disturbing because you don't know what else is there.
Sounds unsanitary :P.  We have quite a few buried dumps, and they're all in great shape.  You'd never know there was a dump there, it's just a hill with grass and trees. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

CrAz3D

Quote from: iago on February 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
Sounds unsanitary :P.  We have quite a few buried dumps, and they're all in great shape.  You'd never know there was a dump there, it's just a hill with grass and trees. 
Slowly dirt is blowing over it & mesquite/other desert bushes are growing over it...but its still sort of uneasing to think about
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

iago

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Slowly dirt is blowing over it & mesquite/other desert bushes are growing over it...but its still sort of uneasing to think about
Don't they cover it with dirt, lay sod, and plant stuff there?  That's what they do here, and it stays covered.  There's actually one that's kind of near my house, it's a park now.  People play on the hills and stuff. 

CrAz3D

Quote from: iago on February 17, 2006, 02:17 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Don't they cover it with dirt, lay sod, and plant stuff there?  That's what they do here, and it stays covered.  There's actually one that's kind of near my house, it's a park now.  People play on the hills and stuff. 
If we lived in a place with an abundance of water, maybe, we live in a place of drought.
It rained REALLY hard one night last fall & washed away alot of that hill that natural vegetation was growing back in on.  After 'fixing' the hill they put a few more bushes, that's all they can really do without wasting lots of water on it.
(ré-bun-dance)

iago

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
If we lived in a place with an abundance of water, maybe, we live in a place of drought.
It rained REALLY hard one night last fall & washed away alot of that hill that natural vegetation was growing back in on.  After 'fixing' the hill they put a few more bushes, that's all they can really do without wasting lots of water on it.
Hmm, yeah, environment would have a lot to do with it.  Where I live, we get a lot of rain, some periods of dryness, a lot of snow, and a lot of freezing/thawing.  It's hell on our roads and cars, but at least it's easy to grow grass/trees. 

CrAz3D

Quote from: iago on February 17, 2006, 04:03 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hmm, yeah, environment would have a lot to do with it.  Where I live, we get a lot of rain, some periods of dryness, a lot of snow, and a lot of freezing/thawing.  It's hell on our roads and cars, but at least it's easy to grow grass/trees. 
We have trees & bushes & grass, its all desert stuff though so it takes FO EVA to grow but is quite resilient
(ré-bun-dance)