• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Homophobic phrases

Started by CrAz3D, February 12, 2006, 07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

ok, past weekend or so Gonzaga bball fans chanted "Brokeback Mountain" @ the opposing team.
It was label 'homophobic' by their local HERO group (helping educate regarding orientaion [a BS waste of money if you ask me]).

Anyways, how is that a homophobic phrase?
I always understand phobias to be a fear of something.
I can see how the chant might be offensive to homo's, however, I do not see it as a phobia or even as an anti-homo chant.

Any other views?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Well, I don't understand the phrase, so can you explain why it might be offensive?

I'm also interested to know why education about orientation is a "bs waste of money"... although, your use of the word 'homos' gives me a few ideas.

hismajesty

Arta: Brokeback Mountain is a movie that recently came out about two gay cowboys.

I can see it now: "Dude, you're so effing brokeback"

Networks

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on February 12, 2006, 07:32 PM
Arta: Brokeback Mountain is a movie that recently came out about two gay cowboys.

Yep:
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808403312&cf=info

A friend of mine saw it and it is supposedly...wild. No penis' are seen just lots of kissing I guess *shrug* I haven't seen it.

CrAz3D

I use 'homo' in short for homosexual, not derogatorily (don't know that degroatorily is a word, but I like it so I'm gonna use it).

ANYWAY, yeah, how is it homophobic?  I hear alot of people say "oh, you made a gay comment, you're a homophobe."  How does that add up?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Explicit

Quote from: Networks on February 12, 2006, 07:34 PM

Yep:

A friend of mine saw it and it is supposedly...wild. No penis' are seen just lots of kissing I guess *shrug* I haven't seen it.

The movie was great.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

hismajesty

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on February 12, 2006, 07:56 PM

Yep:

The movie was great.

You liked it? Dude, you're so effing brokeback.

Explicit

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on February 12, 2006, 08:03 PM

Yep:

The movie was great.

Rather than looking at it from a close-minded perspective, I chose to be open.  It's definitely an eye-opener, which is why I thought the movie was great.  Really enlightening if you ask me.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

CrAz3D

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on February 12, 2006, 08:03 PM

Yep:

The movie was great.

I'm SO gonna be laughing for an hour.

ANYWAY................anyreason why its being label homophobic or are liberals just to quick to judge?
(ré-bun-dance)

topaz

QuoteANYWAY................anyreason why its being label homophobic or are liberals just to quick to judge?

Because it's a movie about two homosexuals...? That came to mind first.
RLY...?

CrAz3D

Quote from: Topaz on February 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
QuoteANYWAY................anyreason why its being label homophobic or are liberals just to quick to judge?

Because it's a movie about two homosexuals...? That came to mind first.
You didn't read all of my posts.  Reread them
(ré-bun-dance)

Arta

Whether or not 'homo' is a derogatory term is not something I can't be bothered to get into (too subjective). If you say you didn't mean it as such, I'll take your word for it.

However, using words like gay and homo, or other references to gay culture, as generic terms of abuse ("omg, that's so gay", "man, those fans are a bunch of homos") is most certainly homophobic.

Next, you're going to disagree with me. Then, I'm going to say it's no different to racism. Then, you'll say being gay is a choice, and I'll disagree with you, and there'll be no particularly convincing evidence to support either view. Then we'll disagree some more, and then the thread will die.

I know all this because it's happened about 50 times already. See how much time I just saved? :)

CrAz3D

I don't see how it's homophobic.  I believe that has been twisted to mean something else.
Phobias are fears.
Racism is discriminatotion by racism, sexism is discrimination by gender, shouldn't homosexuality be homoism or something?
(ré-bun-dance)

MyndFyre

Quote from: Arta[vL] on February 13, 2006, 06:59 AM
However, using words like gay and homo, or other references to gay culture, as generic terms of abuse ("omg, that's so gay", "man, those fans are a bunch of homos") is most certainly homophobic.

Well let's be original and discuss something different.

I don't see this as "homophobic."  That's an inappropriate word.  I could see (orientationally?) insensitive.  But the expression "omg, that's so gay" like you said would be like one white guy calling another white guy a "nigger" (ahem, hismajesty).  It's clearly not racist or "blackophobic."

Of course, we live in a society where we claim to have free speech.  Oh, unless someone is "offended," because as the ACLU would have it, "offended" means "injured," unless you fit into one or more of the following groups of people:
  • White -- because they oppressed the blacks
  • Male -- because they countered feminism
  • Straight -- because it's the majority
  • Christian -- because they advocated religious freedom and tolerance.

Sorry if I seem bitter.  It's because I'll never have freedom of speech.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Grok

Quote from: Arta[vL] on February 13, 2006, 06:59 AM
Whether or not 'homo' is a derogatory term is not something I can't be bothered to get into (too subjective). If you say you didn't mean it as such, I'll take your word for it.

Next, you're going to disagree with me. Then, I'm going to say it's no different to racism. Then, you'll say being gay is a choice, and I'll disagree with you, and there'll be no particularly convincing evidence to support either view. Then we'll disagree some more, and then the thread will die.

I know all this because it's happened about 50 times already. See how much time I just saved? :)

I'll argue with that, if you care to.  Maybe a spin you haven't had before.