• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Best OS for a server

Started by Forged, January 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forged

What would be the best operating to install if I wanted to use an old computer as a server?  I intend on using it mainly to test things before I put it on my website, and to also share files with friends.

#Edit
Something that comes with PHP, APACHE, and MYSQL would be nice.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Eric

FreeBSD or almost any Linux distro.

Invert

Windows servers work well too.

iago

I'd probably say FreeBSD would be best, followed by pretty much any Linux. 

Invert -- Getting PHP, Apache, and MySQL on a Windows server is more trouble than it's worth, I've found. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

JTN Designer

Quote from: iago on January 31, 2006, 11:39 PM

Invert -- Getting PHP, Apache, and MySQL on a Windows server is more trouble than it's worth, I've found. 

Was easy for me. On all builds I've installed it on.

As for Linux, CentOS Server 4.x works well, Red Hat Enterprise 3-4, ss well as other distros. However Solaris is nice to use, if your familiar with it.
(advertising deleted by forum administrator)

dxoigmn

xampp with some config file changes for security and you're set.

Joe[x86]

iago uses Slackware for x86labs.org and javaop.com. He's got 99% uptime, and IMO, it's rather fast. Having hosting with him is nice, too, but I'm not him so I can't tell you how hard it was to set up.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

With a fast internet connection it took me about 5 minutes to get all that installed + MediaWiki.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

quasi-modo

Quote from: JTN Designer on January 31, 2006, 11:48 PM

Was easy for me. On all builds I've installed it on.

As for Linux, CentOS Server 4.x works well, Red Hat Enterprise 3-4, ss well as other distros. However Solaris is nice to use, if your familiar with it.
Oh God I hate solaris. I personally think Solaris is a pain in the ass. IMO Id go with ubuntu or suse or something.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

MrRaza

I've been starting to use Windows Server 2003 standard edition lately, I like it.

Skywing

It of course depends heavily on the tasks you are doing.  If you are getting a beefy multiproc box though, I would probably stay away from linux.  From my experiences at work, linux isn't nearly as good as Windows from a scheduling and processor resource management perspective (especially Windows Server 2003) in multiproc scenarios.

quasi-modo

Some of the fancy proprietary forms of unix are very sexy when it comes to stuff like that. But I don't know how you would get your hands on something like QNX / Neutrino or some of the other new dual core / dual proc modified distros.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Eric

Quote from: quasi-modo on February 01, 2006, 05:43 PM
Some of the fancy proprietary forms of unix are very sexy when it comes to stuff like that.

Seing as how they're meant for that specific task, I'd hope so.

JTN Designer

Quote from: Joe on February 01, 2006, 07:07 AM
iago uses Slackware for x86labs.org and javaop.com. He's got 99% uptime, and IMO, it's rather fast. Having hosting with him is nice, too, but I'm not him so I can't tell you how hard it was to set up.

Uptime is not judged by the OS, in certain instances, MAYBE, but not enough to really make a difference.
(advertising deleted by forum administrator)

Kp

Quote from: JTN Designer on February 02, 2006, 01:53 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 01, 2006, 07:07 AMiago uses Slackware for x86labs.org and javaop.com. He's got 99% uptime, and IMO, it's rather fast. Having hosting with him is nice, too, but I'm not him so I can't tell you how hard it was to set up.
Uptime is not judged by the OS, in certain instances, MAYBE, but not enough to really make a difference.

Quote from: MicrosoftAfter applying this critical security update, you may need to reboot your computer.

;)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!