• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Best OS for a server

Started by Forged, January 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Eric

Quote from: Kp on February 02, 2006, 06:24 PM
Quote from: JTN Designer on February 02, 2006, 01:53 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 01, 2006, 07:07 AMiago uses Slackware for x86labs.org and javaop.com. He's got 99% uptime, and IMO, it's rather fast. Having hosting with him is nice, too, but I'm not him so I can't tell you how hard it was to set up.
Uptime is not judged by the OS, in certain instances, MAYBE, but not enough to really make a difference.

Quote from: MicrosoftAfter applying this critical security update, you may need to reboot your computer.

;)

Disable automatic updates?  ;p

Ender

But then you won't get the update... lol that's funny.

Grok

Quote from: iago on January 31, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'd probably say FreeBSD would be best, followed by pretty much any Linux. 

Invert -- Getting PHP, Apache, and MySQL on a Windows server is more trouble than it's worth, I've found. 

Says more about those applications than the server.  It's quite easy to create a great install package for Windows programs.

Tazo

also try wamp for a windows server

topaz

Ubuntu is great for servers, tons of support and regular releases.
RLY...?

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Joe on February 01, 2006, 07:07 AMiago uses Slackware for x86labs.org and javaop.com. He's got 99% uptime, and IMO, it's rather fast. Having hosting with him is nice, too, but I'm not him so I can't tell you how hard it was to set up.
Uptime is not judged by the OS, in certain instances, MAYBE, but not enough to really make a difference.

Quote from: MicrosoftAfter applying this critical security update, you may need to reboot your computer.

;)

Hah. Not to mention Windows has a tendancy to suddenly stop dead in it's tracks. No BSOD or anything.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Joe on February 05, 2006, 05:31 PM

;)

Hah. Not to mention Windows has a tendancy to suddenly stop dead in it's tracks. No BSOD or anything.
huh... I run w2k advanced server and I can get two week long uptimes without any loss of service, provided that the power is constant. Sounds to me like you have encountered some sort of hardware failure or have a bad install because that certainly isn't the norm.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Eric

Quote from: quasi-modo on February 06, 2006, 01:22 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 05, 2006, 05:31 PM

;)

huh... I run w2k advanced server and I can get two week long uptimes without any loss of service, provided that the power is constant. Sounds to me like you have encountered some sort of hardware failure or have a bad install because that certainly isn't the norm.

I've had my w3k box up for well over 30 days.

Kp

Quote from: quasi-modo on February 06, 2006, 01:22 AMhuh... I run w2k advanced server and I can get two week long uptimes without any loss of service, provided that the power is constant. Sounds to me like you have encountered some sort of hardware failure or have a bad install because that certainly isn't the norm.

What happens at the end of that two weeks?
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Newby

Quote from: Lord[nK] on February 06, 2006, 01:52 AM
I've had my w3k box up for well over 30 days.

I want a w3k box.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.