• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

NSA Spying

Started by CrAz3D, December 17, 2005, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on December 18, 2005, 09:37 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 08:00 AM
I have no problem giving up some of my civil rights in exchange for more safety. I honestly don't fit the demographic they're searching for, nor do I plan on making threats against the country.

So as long as they're doing it in a purely racist way, it's ok?

I'm not opposed to it.

QuoteWhat if I say, "hey hismajesty, when are we going to blow up the Washington Monument?" on this forum? Or on AIM, or I'll send you an email.

I'd probably say "never."

iago

It could still raise enough of a red flag on your name that the government could start monitoring you without telling you.  Of course, you'd never know if you were singled out. 

But I see where this is going -- if you're going to say that it's ok for the US Government to be racist, there isn't a lot I can say about that.  Racism is a very convenient state of mind that makes it pretty much impossible to argue with somebody.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on December 18, 2005, 10:01 AM
It could still raise enough of a red flag on your name that the government could start monitoring you without telling you. Of course, you'd never know if you were singled out.

But I see where this is going -- if you're going to say that it's ok for the US Government to be racist, there isn't a lot I can say about that. Racism is a very convenient state of mind that makes it pretty much impossible to argue with somebody.

I'm up for the debate. I've had to argue pro-Government racism IN debate, and I can pull out my debate box and use the same evidence cards against you. :)

Kp

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 08:00 AMI have no problem giving up some of my civil rights in exchange for more safety.

To save us some time, please enumerate which rights you'd like to keep (and go ahead and surrender any that you don't list).  Alternately, list those you're OK with giving up.  Once we're clear on which rights you value, we can argue over the others.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

hismajesty

Quote from: Kp on December 18, 2005, 10:41 AM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 08:00 AMI have no problem giving up some of my civil rights in exchange for more safety.

To save us some time, please enumerate which rights you'd like to keep (and go ahead and surrender any that you don't list). Alternately, list those you're OK with giving up. Once we're clear on which rights you value, we can argue over the others.

My opinion on which rights I wouldn't mind surrendering isn't relative to whether or not the policy is just.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 10:50 AM
Quote from: Kp on December 18, 2005, 10:41 AM

To save us some time, please enumerate which rights you'd like to keep (and go ahead and surrender any that you don't list). Alternately, list those you're OK with giving up. Once we're clear on which rights you value, we can argue over the others.

My opinion on which rights I wouldn't mind surrendering isn't relative to whether or not the policy is just.

I don't understand.  You'e saying that certain American citizens should be forced to give up certain rights because of their race.  Which rights, exactly, you think that other Americans should be denied?  I think that's a very important piece of this debate. 

hismajesty

The general right to privacy.

iago

What about Freedom of Assembly?  Should "they" be allowed to have their own gatherings?

Freedom of Speech?  Should "they" be able to say anything they want, without being arrested for it?

Freedom of thought?  They'd might as well get rid of that, too. 

hismajesty

Um, which of those involve privacy?

Edit: Also, I don't necessarily agree with Freedom of Speech - I think it needs to be restricted a tad bit, people take it way too far these days.

iago

Those all have to do with rights that are often abused/removed from minorities.  As long as you're arguing for a racist government, I think those are important issues. 

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on December 18, 2005, 01:14 PM
Those all have to do with rights that are often abused/removed from minorities. As long as you're arguing for a racist government, I think those are important issues.

Let me make my position a bit more clear: The government should focus more of its time against those that pose a bigger threat to the country.

Forged

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 01:38 PM
Those all have to do with rights that are often abused/removed from minorities. As long as you're arguing for a racist government, I think those are important issues.

Let me make my position a bit more clear: The government should focus more of its time against those that pose a bigger threat to the country.

Like timothy mcveigh?
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

hismajesty

Quote from: Forged on December 18, 2005, 01:59 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 18, 2005, 01:38 PM

Like timothy mcveigh?

Who happens to be an outlier. Now we need our attention focused on those of middle-eastern decent (specifically 1st or 2nd generation immigrants/those on student visas/etc.) I can furnish evidence that this is the case if you'd like.

Forged

Arguing with a person who thinks racism is the best way to go is pointless, so don't worry about it...

Just rember, the social and political climate changes frequentlly.  To set up a discrimantory policy based on race, religon, or ideology is a bad idea.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

hismajesty

Quote from: Forged on December 18, 2005, 02:51 PM
Arguing with a person who thinks racism is the best way to go is pointless, so don't worry about it...

Just rember, the social and political climate changes frequentlly. To set up a discrimantory policy based on race, religon, or ideology is a bad idea.

Obviously. The government enacted a discrimantory policy against Japanese during WWII, because they were the ones that posed a threat - not middle eastern people. But look at today, look at who does. If you saw a white guy, an asian guy, or even a black guy messing with his shoe on an airplane do you think anybody would care? No. They wouldn't.

|