• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What is War and are we in one?

Started by Grok, December 13, 2005, 07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on December 13, 2005, 11:52 AM

1 a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : STATE OF WAR b : the art or science of warfare c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war
2 a : a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease> c : VARIANCE, ODDS 3
- war·less  /-l&s/ adjective
^
War defined

sounds like we're at war to me
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Grok

You're right, by that definition we are indeed at war with CrAz3D.

Invert

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
-Shakespeare

iago

I don't think anybody cares about the word "war".  This thread is about the definition of what a war is, which is an idea, not a word.  You could call it a "blargh", and this thread still applies to it. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Grok, Bush announced the war was over and ended in victory a while ago. Just because people choose to loosely refer to us as being in one, doesn't mean we are.

war: a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply; "war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring"

These are rebels. They aren't even a government, they run around with smelly rags on their heads and fire AKs at people and they die. They die a lot too, like 200,000 times.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 13, 2005, 06:06 PM
[....] during which the international rules of war apply [...]
I know the US doesn't always go for international rules... which ones do they use when declaring?  I'm trying to clarify.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 13, 2005, 06:06 PM
These are rebels. They aren't even a government, they run around with smelly rags on their heads and fire AKs at people and they die. They die a lot too, like 200,000 times.
More emotionally rigged and meanlingless statements.  Making them seem like animals, not people, is not a way to make it seem okay to kill them.

hismajesty

Obviously I view them with a sense of detest, seeing as how they're the enemy. But above that, they're anti-Democracy and anti-a lot of other good things (womens rights, freedom of speech, etc.) Why should I have any sort of respect for them? I called it how it is.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on December 13, 2005, 06:14 PM
Obviously I view them with a sense of detest, seeing as how they're the enemy. But above that, they're anti-Democracy and anti-a lot of other good things (womens rights, freedom of speech, etc.) Why should I have any sort of respect for them? I called it how it is.

So their wearing of "smelly rags on their heads" has to do with their moral principles?  It wasn't meant to make them look unhuman?

Everybody should understand that the enemy troops are people too.  The enemies have believes, hopes, dreams, and families who care about them.  Just because they disagree with your beliefs doesn't make them bad people.

hismajesty

They disagree with the majority of the worlds beleifs. Besides, it's not so much what they beleive, it's what they are doing to show people what they beleive. Many Muslims have said that these people aren't true Muslims due to their extreme acts of violence. The Koran preaches peace and modesty as two major principles. I don't see these radicals doing anything peaceful, and just look at how they enforce the modesty (modesty in reference to womens dress/mannerisms) upon women. I'm all for a more American lifestyle (or Canadian, or British, or whatever as they aren't too different...they're free) in Iraq. I don't see how you can morally defend the type of government these people would rather have instead of Democracy. People constantly compare Bush to Hitler and call him a tyrant among other things, but look at what he's trying to stop. I honestly do not see how people can dislike this man or this policy. But, of course, they must not disagree TOO much considering he was elected for a second term.

CrAz3D

"International rules of war" is a stupid idea to me, war (violent malicious conflict) is supposed to be gruesome so it doesn't happen...it doesnt help when the other side kills themselves first though :(

Guess what the hopes & dreams of the enemy is...guess.
It is to kill you & everything you stand for.  You, iago, believe in freedom, they hate that, they believe in oppression, they believe you & I should die for disgracing Allah (or whoever it is).
Their dreams amount the fall of western civilization.
The desecration of such freedoms is bad, they live to destroy what the free world has worked so hard to build.  They are bad people.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Thing [vL]

Grok, you should make this a poll.

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on December 13, 2005, 07:42 PMGuess what the hopes & dreams of the enemy is...guess.

Their hopes & dreams are obviously to get to live their lives in peace without oppression from the evil America.

Quote from: CrAz3D on December 13, 2005, 07:42 PMThey are bad people.

And that means America is bad people, coming to mess with the good people.....

CrAz3D

You damn well know that what you just said is bullshit, you're just trying to get a rise out of me
(ré-bun-dance)

Explicit

Quote from: Adron on December 14, 2005, 06:02 AM
Quote from: CrAz3D on December 13, 2005, 07:42 PMGuess what the hopes & dreams of the enemy is...guess.

Their hopes & dreams are obviously to get to live their lives in peace without oppression from the evil America.

I agree with Adron.  Their beliefs differ from ours, so it's understandable that they view Americans as evil, and that America views them as evil.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

iago

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on December 14, 2005, 12:10 PM
Quote from: Adron on December 14, 2005, 06:02 AM

I agree with Adron.  Their beliefs differ from ours, so it's understandable that they view Americans as evil, and that America views them as evil.

I also agree.  You both believe the other side is evil.  You both want the other side to be wiped out.  The only real difference is that you have means to declare a formal war whereas they can only do sneak attacks (since they don't have the means to fight head on). 

You have more in common than you think! :)

|