• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Should children be allowed to vote?

Started by CrAz3D, November 15, 2005, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Forged

I think the voting age should be lowered, but I do not think a 12 year old has the mental capacity to understand what they are voting for. 
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Arta

Some of them will. Perhaps it should be allowed for the ones that do?

My problem with child voting is less their capacity to decide, and more their vulnerability to being coerced by adults to vote a certain way. I do like the idea in principle though - pressure groups for children's affairs would suddenly get a lot more power, and I think that would be good.

iago

Quote from: Arta[vL] on November 15, 2005, 11:30 AM
Some of them will. Perhaps it should be allowed for the ones that do?

My problem with child voting is less their capacity to decide, and more their vulnerability to being coerced by adults to vote a certain way. I do like the idea in principle though - pressure groups for children's affairs would suddenly get a lot more power, and I think that would be good.

Adults can also be coerced and adults can also make stupid decisions, so unless there is some arbitrary measurement on when somebody should be allowed to vote, I don't think that can be a valid argument. 

And you're right, children's affairs would get a lot more power.  The decisions made by the government affects children probably even more than adults.  Not only schools and such, but children have to live with the mistakes of the current regime a lot longer than adults do. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

No. I'd like to be able to vote, but the overall population would screw America over because they're morons. They'd also just follow their parents, or follow the opposite of their parents so they could rebel. They wouldn't make informed decisions, at least as a senior taking a Government class is mandatory (at least here, unless you took it early...I took it in 9th grade.) This gives the people an education on how the country works before they make decisions for it.

iago

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on November 15, 2005, 07:34 PM
No. I'd like to be able to vote, but the overall population would screw America over because they're morons. They'd also just follow their parents, or follow the opposite of their parents so they could rebel. They wouldn't make informed decisions, at least as a senior taking a Government class is mandatory (at least here, unless you took it early...I took it in 9th grade.) This gives the people an education on how the country works before they make decisions for it.
So the day somebody turns 18, they are no longer morons?  And suddenly, they aren't influenced at all by their parents?

I know a lot of morons who are over 18. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

shout

Alot of people blindly follow their parent's veiws far into life.

WoOdTroll

Explicit

Quote from: Shout on November 15, 2005, 09:03 PM

Although that may be true, they have to take it upon themselves to stray away from the views of their parents.  It's not like they are forced into accepting it.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

WoOdTroll

Rule

Quote from: Shout on November 15, 2005, 09:03 PM

Yes, but children are particularly easy to manipulate, for obvious reasons.

Once these children grow up to reach an age where they are considered more independent (making most decisions in their lives for themselves), they should be allowed to vote.  Of course this age varies depending on the person, but on average 18 years old is a good estimate.

Falcon[anti-yL]

I'd like to be able to vote, but children who are still in junior high or high school should not get tangled up in politics that early. Like someone else stated earlier, its too easy to get a vote from a child. I remember when I was in 6th grade everybody voted this guy for president of the student council because he promised to turn water fountains into coke fountains and some shit, so yea you can see what I'm getting at.

Joe[x86]

QuoteI'd like to be able to vote, but the overall population would screw America over because they're morons.
America is already screwed over. iago and I are making plans for getting me housing in Canada the day I turn 18.

Should "children" be allowed to vote? Define children. I think of children as, say, 13 and under. In that case, no. Should "young adults" (say, 14 and above?) be allowed to vote? Sure, 14 year olds can be influenced by their parents, but nowhere near as much as a 5 year old can. See this humorus yet true example.

Parent: If you vote for Bush, I'll give you a dollar!
5 year old: YAY! A DOLLAR! BUSH FOR PRESIDENT!

Parent: If you vote for Bush, I'll give you a dollar!
14 year old: Make it 10.
Parent: Five.
14 year old: 20.
Parent: Deal.

=)
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

noob

Quote from: Forged on November 15, 2005, 09:24 AM
I think the voting age should be lowered, but I do not think a 12 year old has the mental capacity to understand what they are voting for. 

Don't oppress me!

I believe that everyone who is physically capable should be allowed to vote. I mean, if you can walk, you can vote. Not like it makes any significant difference in the way that this country is run anyway.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: noob on November 15, 2005, 10:46 PM
Quote from: Forged on November 15, 2005, 09:24 AM

Don't oppress me!

I believe that everyone who is physically capable should be allowed to vote. I mean, if you can walk, you can vote. Not like it makes any significant difference in the way that this country is run anyway.
Perfect example of why kids should not be allowed to vote.