• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Visual basic lessons?

Started by Charlie, October 30, 2005, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

Yeah, I was reading a little bit yesterday, I was suposdedly not alloud to be on the computer but hey, what the hell do parents know?!

I was looking at some source codes reading through them and examineing each line, still havn't tried anything though, I'm sitll in my learning process. Lol. 8)

Explicit

Parents know a great amount, even if it may not seem like it.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Joe[x86]

First, do hello world.
Private Sub Form_Load()
    Call MsgBox("Hello world!") 'Use call. If != call, = ugly. =)
End Sub

Then learn some more stuff.
Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim I as Integer: For I = 1 to 5
        Call MsgBox(I & ": Hello world!")
    Next i
End Sub

Congratulations, you've now used messageboxes, form procedures, variables (and their declarations), string concatination, and a FOR loop.

EDIT -
Once you've picked up the very basics, you'll find that VB is basically stripped down English. Assignment statments are basically a sentence.
English: Let A be 10.
VB: Let A = 10 (Let is not required)
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Charlie

Hey that was preety cool. :D
Like how do you insert a picture of some sort into the back ground and change the color of the text? ;D

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yegg

Quote from: Charlie on November 02, 2005, 07:15 AM
Hey that was preety cool. :D
Like how do you insert a picture of some sort into the back ground and change the color of the text? ;D
PictureBox, ImageControl? Havn't used Visual Basic 6 in a long time.

Charlie

This is my first experiments with it, I'm trying to understand the language better. The more I mess with it the more confusing it gets, I'm sure if I study it more it will become more clear though.

Charlie

I am studying, I bounce around from posting and studying. Studying gets so borring so quickly :D

Charlie

Never said it wasn't life.  :o Anyways I got a question.
Right now I'm reading about networking, and I came to the area about Supernets.
A supernet is a collection of smaller networks. Supernetting is a technique of using the netmask to aggregate a collection of smaller networks into a supernet. This technique is particularly useful for class C networks. A Class C network can only have 254 hosts. This can be too restrictive for some companies. For these companies, a netmask that only contains a portion of the network part can be applied to the hosts in these class C networks to form a supernet.

This supernet netmask should be applied to those interfaces that connect to the supernet using the ifconfig command. For example, a host can configure its interface to connect to a class C supernet, 192.6, by configuring an IP address of 192.6.1.1 and a netmask of 255.255.0.0 to its interface.
Anyways, how does the supernet collect the smaller networks...I'm so confused by this...Can someone make it more clear?

-Charlie

Explicit

I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Yegg

Start a new thread on that topic. This thread has gone for too long a time.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: MyndFyre on November 02, 2005, 08:52 AM
You use the form designer.

Form1.Picture = LoadPicture("C:\Documents And Settings\Owner\Owner's Pictures\pic1.jpg")

Untested. By the way, change that to an actual path.

Good time to learn App.Path. Probably want to put your image in a \data folder.

Dim ImgPath As String: ImgPath = App.Path & "\Data\image1.jpg"
App.Path returns the path the program was run from.
Example: C:\Program Files\NewProgram\Program1.exe has an App.Path of "C:\Program Files\NewProgram" (no trailing slash, make sure you include this.)

EDIT -
Feel free to contact me for a little one-on-one. My information is to the left (unless your skin sucks)
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Tazo

someone needs to do a 'lesson' thing for C++  :-*

Mangix

Tazo

i hate reading from a book about programming. i bought a book on c++ for dummies, and i havent even touched it in like 6 months  ;D

|