• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Visual basic lessons?

Started by Charlie, October 30, 2005, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topaz

Experimentation and practice. Having smart friends to ask questions doesn't hurt either :)

Charlie

Well... Sense everyone is going WEWhoo over tihs, any of you teach well? LOL. Guys are freaking out o_O;;

Warrior

Too much of a headache if you ask me when thoroughly reading documentation on the language will help you in the long run.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Charlie

Well ,see the problem is I don't learn from stareing at a book, I learn from someone telling me an example and I go try it out and do it. I duno, maybe it's just me; But I think I would learn better one on one.

Yegg

Quote from: Topaz on October 31, 2005, 03:03 PM
Experimentation and practice. Having smart friends to ask questions doesn't hurt either :)
How can "experimentation" possibly help?? If you don't know what else the function can do, what can you "experiment" with? Also, why would you want to be bothering your "smart friends" about something when you could simply have actually learned the language (since this is what we're discussing) or learned about the function (not what we're talking about in this case however) from a documentation?

Charlie

I don't know, Lol. All of the information I have read so far is just words on a Page I can't understand it.  :'( :'(

Explicit

When most beginners are just starting out (at least, those related to Battle.net), they have a tendency to speed-read through the content. Take your time on each section, and if you don't understand a word, then look it up. Practice is key!
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Charlie

I know I'm comeing from Battle.net, but I'm serious I don't learn from reading, Okay for example. I read the words Tcp/ip. First thing that comes to mind is Okay that's networking. But then It' goes into all this mumbo jumbo on how it works, and I just want to know how I incorporate that into codeing. See<- I don't know if thats what I'm doing wrong? Or do I need to read it and understand it all before I start?

--Charlie  ???

Explicit

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on October 31, 2005, 05:07 PM
Take your time on each section, and if you don't understand a word, then look it up.

Try actually reading the post.  Anyway, it seems to me that this reading problem lies even outside of tutorials, and the only thing I can recommend is for you to stop being lazy and just read. Not the lazy kind of read, but the "I have to understand this" kind.

Yegg

I understand where Charlie is coming from though. And yes, there are some things that you won't understand... right away that is. Some things have to be re-read, possibly even multiple times to even have a general idea of its purpose. You may have to even try it out to help your understandance of it.

Explicit

Quote from: Adron on October 31, 2005, 11:30 AM
Quote from: Explicit[nK] on October 30, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm going to have to side with Warrior on this one, DeTaiLs. You can't fully understand a piece of code if you don't refer to a text for it. Functions for example, are in every source, but would you actually be able to determine what purpose they serve without referring to some documentation? Unless it's flat-out obvious, I'd think not.

Actually, you often can determine what purpose they serve. You may need some practise, but it is doable. That is the basis of reverse-engineering software.

This was aimed at the perspective of the inexperienced.

Topaz

There are many things that books don't teach, and thats where experimenting with objects and functions come into play.

Yegg

Quote from: Topaz on October 31, 2005, 09:13 PM
There are many things that books don't teach, and thats where experimenting with objects and functions come into play.
A book doesn't have to teach you "everything". And no one knows "everything". But by reading a book you can learn a lot more than if you relied on other code or "experimenting".

MyndFyre

Experimenting is a great supplement to online tutorials/lessons and books.

As I've said in the way I learned JavaScript, my first language, it was a series of not only trial and error, but also seeing what I had to work with and playing with it.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yegg

Quote from: MyndFyre on November 01, 2005, 06:02 PM
Experimenting is a great supplement to online tutorials/lessons and books.

As I've said in the way I learned JavaScript, my first language, it was a series of not only trial and error, but also seeing what I had to work with and playing with it.
But the "trial and error" and "experimenting" that we're discussing is done without ANY aid from a documentation of some sort. The only experience you have is from other people's source codes.

|