• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Visual basic lessons?

Started by Charlie, October 30, 2005, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

Well, I searched through the forums, and found nothing. So I supose that it's time to just make a topic about it. I have little knowlage of Visual basic, but I would like to learn. I seen in a couple of topics Warrior, MyndFyre, and some other people saying they would give lessons. Hmm, I was wondering if anyone could give me lessongs, It would be much apreciated. Anyone that can help, My yahoo is Wicketbishes and my email is the same. So..if you can help send me a IM or post here.

--Charlie

Yegg

I suggest the good "old fashion" way of learning, read a book. Check out the #eBooks channel on irc.tehnetwork.org. You can download from over 23,000 different eBooks. Yes, it contains many books pertaining to Visual Basic. So get yourself a good IRC client (I suggest mIRC 6.16) and log onto the server to get an eBook.

Charlie

Well, I was reading the information suggested in the forums guidelines, so yeah. Thanks! I'll have to check it out and see what I can do with it o_o

DeTaiLs

I know alot of people are against looking at coding to learn but for me its easier to learn if I know what is going on and it might help you here is a link to a place with some good source codes. www.pscode.com

Also ebooks are a great way to learn I personaly didnt download a ebook I went to the store and got a book for $40 but ebooks are great and cheap way to learn.

Charlie

Thanks man, Yeah. I just learn better person to person that reading from books n' shit. So yeah. I'll check them source codes out and see what I can get from em. Thanks alot dude.

Explicit

Sorry to break it to you, but source code alone isn't going to help. The key is to read, and become very intimate with the text.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

DeTaiLs

I learn full asm and most of VB off just source code alone and I am afraid of how intimate you are with your text.

Yegg

I "learned" VB6 off source codes alone, let me tell you something about doing that, you don't know near as much about the language or what is going on, or better methods of coding by doing so unless you read actual full-fledged tutorials. All other languages I know have been learned by reading eBooks or site tutorials, as a matter of fact, right now I am reading a 580 page eBook tutorial so that I can learn C#. This eBook tells me everything, everything. Much more than I could ever learn from other people source codes.

Warrior

I don't get how that is possible, learning from code.

Perhaps learning from code and looking up what it means peice by peice as it is encountered?

Good things:
Don't waste time through parts in books you don't need
Generally a faster pace

Bad things:
You may miss important parts of the language and/or become dependant on the source.

aha @ Details knowing "full asm and most of vb". Who knows assembly more than VB? VB should come second nature to every programmer. :/
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

DeTaiLs

Notice how I said I learn most of it from source no where i didnt say i didnt know the full thing you really need to read the full thing befor you post and look like an ass. and its possible to learn just as good from source then look back at book, the book just shows you sources so what is the difference.

Warrior

Quote from: DeTaiLs on October 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
Notice how I said I learn most of it from source no where i didnt say i didnt know the full thing you really need to read the full thing befor you post and look like an ass.
I acknowledged that and that's what I based my comment on, you learn to read.

Quote from: DeTaiLs on October 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
and its possible to learn just as good from source then look back at book, the book just shows you sources so what is the difference.

It offers documentation and for reasons I offered above. Again, learn to read. Ass.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Explicit

I'm going to have to side with Warrior on this one, DeTaiLs. You can't fully understand a piece of code if you don't refer to a text for it. Functions for example, are in every source, but would you actually be able to determine what purpose they serve without referring to some documentation? Unless it's flat-out obvious, I'd think not.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Talora

I think that the world would be better if you would nerf all night elfs (-.-)

Adron

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on October 30, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm going to have to side with Warrior on this one, DeTaiLs. You can't fully understand a piece of code if you don't refer to a text for it. Functions for example, are in every source, but would you actually be able to determine what purpose they serve without referring to some documentation? Unless it's flat-out obvious, I'd think not.

Actually, you often can determine what purpose they serve. You may need some practise, but it is doable. That is the basis of reverse-engineering software.

Yegg

A function can also be overloaded. How would you know what other purposes the function may serve if you've only seen one because that's all you saw in someone else's code?