• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Guys, I seriously don't know what to do.

Started by MyndFyre, October 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

* MyndFyre sighs.

I'm tempted, really tempted, to go to law school.

On the other hand, I know I have skills working with computers, and am tempted to go get an MS or MCS (master's in computer science).  Plus, I could go to a California college and land a job at a Silicon Valley company or something.

I just am really passionate about programming and computer work.  It's evidenced by my mounds of gadgets.

Same time, I really have fun doing law stuff and political analyses.

Thoughts?  I need to decide *really* soon.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Explicit

If you really enjoy doing both, then you can't go wrong with either decision. If I were you, I'd shoot for law school because it'd be the thing I'd learn the most from. For computers, you could always pursue it if you decide that law school isn't really for you.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Grok

Law School.  Primary reason:  cannot be outsourced.  The major trend in computer science is outsource everything to India, China, and Russia.  This includes project management all the way down to coding.  Law does not have that problem, as far as I know.

Invert

Quote from: Grok on October 12, 2005, 10:37 AM
Law School.  Primary reason:  cannot be outsourced.  The major trend in computer science is outsource everything to India, China, and Russia.  This includes project management all the way down to coding.  Law does not have that problem, as far as I know.

I would have to agree with Grok. And you can make more money. :)

CrAz3D

Quote from: Invert on October 12, 2005, 01:15 PM
Quote from: Grok on October 12, 2005, 10:37 AM

I would have to agree with Grok. And you can make more money. :)
Depends on yoour work ethic.  Gates isn't a lawyer ;), he just was in the right place @ the right time & did the right things.

Law is fun for me & I was thinkin about the outsource thing, good stable job so long as you dont get hit w/a malpractice suit
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Both. Can't you major in one and minor in the other? Or do one for your degree, and study another postgrad?

A legally trained computer person is a rare and useful creature.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
Both. Can't you major in one and minor in the other? Or do one for your degree, and study another postgrad?

A legally trained computer person is a rare and useful creature.
If he isn't a very ambitious lawyer he could do both, or he could not sleep & do both.  I'm quite sure lawyers' jobs aren't 9-5 5 days a week.

I've seen my boss @ the office as late as 9pm on a friday night.  He comes in for a few hours on holidays too (4th of July, Columbus day, etc. [not Christmas])  I've seen his car here (I'm at work) quite a bit.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Topaz

Yeah, minor in computer science. You can always learn on your own with computers, but law school isn't easily replacable like that.

MyndFyre

Quote from: daRktYpE on October 12, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah, minor in computer science. You can always learn on your own with computers, but law school isn't easily replacable like that.
ASU doesn't have a minor in computer science, and I've not seen a postgrad program that offered a "minor" in it either.

Rarely do departments mingle in graduate study, and only do they do so in specialized situations, e.g., American's Washington College of Law and the School of International Studies collaborate to present the JD/MA combination.  But since they're wildly different topics... it'd be hard to pull off.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

hismajesty

From what I've heard, these days, minors are pretty useless - that's why there's an upward trend of double majors.

MyndFyre

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on October 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
From what I've heard, these days, minors are pretty useless - that's why there's an upward trend of double majors.
Hehe, that means I'm trendy!

(Obviously they taught me how to make lame jokes in college.  ;))

jigsaw

My advice is quit school, work at McDonalds, great benefits, and you get medical/dental after 90 days on the job, and you get like a 25% off all the time even with coupons! It's totally a win win situation - duh.

Blaze

Law school, for the reasons Grok stated.

Quote from: jigsaw on October 12, 2005, 07:56 PM
My advice is quit school, work at McDonalds, great benefits, and you get medical/dental after 90 days on the job, and you get like a 25% off all the time even with coupons! It's totally a win win situation - duh.
Thats what all the rich people do, and those idiots that were in my school!
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

quasi-modo

The problem with comp sci and software engineering is no matter how passionate you are, if you loose creative control your dreams will be stepped on and you will start to hate what you do. Sure it was tons of fun when you decided what to code, how to code it, what it will look like, but now you are working for some big corporation designing the next version of word or something like that. If you get stuck in an area like that you will get bored really fast. You might say I will never go down that road, I will be on the design team, or I will be in management, or something, but the job market might not allow that. This is why I am not going down the software road so much. Because I do not want to be the next office developer.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Networks

Myndy, I'd go with what you're most passionate about and what you feel you can do the best in. However it does take careful consideration to know where you career is going, I'd suggest talking with someone in the field and how hard it is to get a job (or easy). Talk to people that are lawyers and computer science majors and ask for there input on the field. It's not ALWAYS about the money.

If both pique your interests equally then go with the one that has the best advantage to you.