• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

God, Pledge, WTF

Started by CrAz3D, September 15, 2005, 04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

CrAz3D

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/14/pledge.ruling.ap/index.html

ok, it isn't forcing any specific God upon the kids, also when the kids grow up they should be able to deduce for themselves there is some sort of higher power (God) that is at work.  Even science leads to a belief in some sort of God.

The pledge doesn't mention any particular God.
`
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Totally agree with the court. God should stay at home.

Eric

This country was founded on the fact that we wouldn't force our beliefs on anyone in any way what-so-ever.  However patriotic the pledge may be, it shouldn't be recited in schools.

This kind of crap should also be kept out of schools.

hismajesty

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 15, 2005, 04:38 PM
Totally agree with the court. God should stay at home.

God is a term, not a religion. It refers to an omniscient, infinite, supernatural being that created the Earth. This is retarded, it will probably get tried in the high court and pwned, and then (in a dream world) the judge will lose his position for being a complete moron.

hismajesty

Quote from: Lord[nK] on September 15, 2005, 04:45 PM
This country was founded on the fact that we wouldn't force our beliefs on anyone in any way what-so-ever. However patriotic the pledge may be, it shouldn't be recited in schools.

This kind of crap should also be kept out of schools.

Please explain to me how having the word "God" in the pledge is forcing a beleif (name the religion/beleifs too Lord, don't make us guess, as there's obviously only one religion that uses the word God, right?)

Nobody is being forced to do anything, saying the pledge is optional. Go cry  or cut yourself or something, I'm sure the facts hurt you.

Mangix

the US is full of stupid people

IMHO, there is no point to have a pledge. You just say some words and you're done. wtf is the point of saying that every day? NONE

hismajesty

Quote from: Mangix on September 15, 2005, 05:18 PM
the US is full of stupid people

IMHO, there is no point to have a pledge. You just say some words and you're done. wtf is the point of saying that every day? NONE

You're supposed to say it, and beleive it, not just say it.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 15, 2005, 05:48 PM
You're supposed to say it, and beleive it, not just say it.

This here sums it all up. "You are supposed to say it, and believe it." Which means believing in a god. Which if demanded by the government would be against freedom of religion. Which means it's got to go.

hismajesty

First of all, saying God doesn't violate any Freedom of Religion. Secondly, you very well know that's not what I meant. I meant beleive in it*, as it's a symbol of sorts for America.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 15, 2005, 06:38 PM
First of all, saying God doesn't violate any Freedom of Religion. Secondly, you very well know that's not what I meant. I meant beleive in it*, as it's a symbol of sorts for America.

Well, requiring someone to say the word God isn't bad. But if you are supposed to believe in what the pledge says, you also have to believe in the existence of a god. How else would there be a nation under god?

Topaz

It's a few words designed to incite patriotism in schoolchildren all over the nation. What's the big deal?

Arta

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 15, 2005, 05:08 PM
Please explain to me how having the word "God" in the pledge is forcing a beleif (name the religion/beleifs too Lord, don't make us guess, as there's obviously only one religion that uses the word God, right?)

Well, thankfully, I don't have to recite the pledge.

Nonetheless: using the word 'God' presumes that one believes in God. I do not. I would object to being made to recite something that implies otherwise. I would similarly object to swearing an oath on a Bible, or getting married in a church.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 15, 2005, 05:04 PM
God is a term, not a religion. It refers to an omniscient, infinite, supernatural being that created the Earth.

Yes. It refers to something I do not believe in. See above.

hismajesty

God just refers to a diety, the pledge doesn't make a reference to any monotheistic religion, so I don't see what the debate is.

Arta

I don't believe in a deity. Any deity. That's why. We don't even need to go as far as a religion!

Eric

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 15, 2005, 07:28 PM

the pledge doesn't make a reference to any monotheistic religion

It doesn't matter if it directly relates to any specific religion — the belief in God is a religious matter and that alone should be reason enough to not to mix it with state.

QuoteGo cry  or cut yourself or something, I'm sure the facts hurt you.

Now that's the mature response I was looking for.

|