• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

To move out or not?...

Started by CrAz3D, July 19, 2005, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

Friends have been trying to get me to move out (into an apartment) this year (freshmen yr in college).
I've been quite reluctant to do this because I can't really justify spending $165 for the apartment, $30 (or so) for electricity, $70 for food, $60 for cell, $150 for gas (may trade my truck in soon though :() & so on...
At home all I pay for is my gas & my phone, I like free...but I dont have the luxury of staying out for 3 days or coming home tripping on acid (not that I would do that in an apartment though).

I, interestingly enough, found this article on CNN today
http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/07/19/back.to.school.living.ap/index.html

What do you all think?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

iago

I think that living at home during my University career was a good idea.  I pay for my Internet connection, some of my food, and that's about it.  As long as I'm in school, my parents aren't making me pay.  Because of that, and working a lot, I have a lot of disposible income, I can waste my money on whatever looks fun, and put enough away for later when I need it.  It's nice not having to worry about money.

Of course, you're right, if you're living away you can go out and do whatever you want without your parents being worried.  I think that parents worry about that kind of thing for a good reason, and that shouldn't be reason enough to move out.  When somebody moves out, they should be mature enough to look after themselves.  But I live in an ideal world :)

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Aren't you transfering to Texas? I don't think you can live at home then. :P

Hazard

My plans just changed, and I'd like to share with everyone that I will in fact not be attending Auburn University in the Fall semester, I will instead be at the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOO!

Long story short, I think its important to move out when you hit college. For one thing, my parents aren't requiring me to pay living expenses, as long as I stay enrolled in school full time and maintain a 3.0 GPA, if I get a 3.5 I will actually get more income. With all 4 years of school and housing paid for and a 75% Bright Futures scholarship, not only do I have the income from the state from my scholarships but the income my parents choose to give me to live on.

Its too difficult, in my opinion, to become more independent when you're still living in the shelter of your parents wings. I'm not talking about how this would make it easier to get away with things, but your much less ersponsible for your own wellbeing under your parents roof. Its important to get out on your own... its a must.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

nslay

Live at your parents' as long as you can (realistically speaking).  Save your money!!  I can't emphasize this enough!  Living in a apartment is nice but it costs...I live paycheck to paycheck doing this, but then again I don't live near home so I have no choice. 

nslay

Quote from: Hazard on July 19, 2005, 06:26 PM
My plans just changed, and I'd like to share with everyone that I will in fact not be attending Auburn University in the Fall semester, I will instead be at the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!! WOHOOO!

Long story short, I think its important to move out when you hit college. For one thing, my parents aren't requiring me to pay living expenses, as long as I stay enrolled in school full time and maintain a 3.0 GPA, if I get a 3.5 I will actually get more income. With all 4 years of school and housing paid for and a 75% Bright Futures scholarship, not only do I have the income from the state from my scholarships but the income my parents choose to give me to live on.

Its too difficult, in my opinion, to become more independent when you're still living in the shelter of your parents wings. I'm not talking about how this would make it easier to get away with things, but your much less ersponsible for your own wellbeing under your parents roof. Its important to get out on your own... its a must.

Eww, University of Florida...dude, you might not like living in the middle of no where that Gainesville is :)
I personally think Florida State is better, but I suppose it depends on your program.

Arta

I agree with Hazard. I think supporting yourself is an important part of the University experience.

Topaz

Quote from: nslay on July 19, 2005, 07:45 PM
Live at your parents' as long as you can (realistically speaking).  Save your money!!  I can't emphasize this enough!  Living in a apartment is nice but it costs...I live paycheck to paycheck doing this, but then again I don't live near home so I have no choice. 

Ersan's going there :) Give him a holler for me, k?

On Topic:
A decent job will pay for the rent, as well as provide for little extras. Why not? It's a good way to get on-hands experience, as well as a nice addon for your resume.

Hazard

Fortunately for me, I know that the University of Florida is better. I visited FSU, didn't like it. Dorms were shitty, bike racks only had bike PARTS chained too them, way too much activity of the non-legitimate type. They don't have a Political Science department strong enough to draw me there.

nslay

Quote from: Topaz on July 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
Quote from: nslay on July 19, 2005, 07:45 PM

Ersan's going there :) Give him a holler for me, k?

On Topic:
A decent job will pay for the rent, as well as provide for little extras. Why not? It's a good way to get on-hands experience, as well as a nice addon for your resume.

Right, but you have to work full time with a "decent" job to be able to pay rent and bills.
It's not easy to work full time and enroll as a full time student to keep your scholarship.
In college towns, it's also much harder to get jobs...When you do a find job, its not guaranteed that you can work the number of hours needed, and with a significant raise in minimum wage in Florida its harder than ever here.  While taking Microeconomics, I learned that a $1 raise can actually cause more unemployment.  While talking to a subway cashier, I learned that with this raise he actually makes less money than he did without the raise because he is forced to work less shifts.

It's important to learn how to take care of yourself...that's the true college experience (not being self-sufficient, that's almost futile), but being apart of a broken family and a brother to two sisters who had to pay their own way through college (I also know people who have to pay their own way through college) I know for a fact that its not easy to be self-sufficient and go through university at the same time.  A lot of people who try to do this actually don't finish college.  However, I do believe that by the time you have got your degree, that you ought be able to pay for yourself.  I also think that you should help pay for living and tuition, but I also believe your parents should also help you with expenses.

nslay

Quote from: Hazard on July 19, 2005, 09:46 PM
Fortunately for me, I know that the University of Florida is better. I visited FSU, didn't like it. Dorms were shitty, bike racks only had bike PARTS chained too them, way too much activity of the non-legitimate type. They don't have a Political Science department strong enough to draw me there.

Yeah, some dorms are bad (But for example, Gilchrist is a pretty snazzy place, and McCollum offers living spaces similar to an apartment, but with more space)...but I think the CS, Physics, Statistics, and Math program are better than UF's.  UCF's CS department is even better than here.
Yeah?  Well I live in Tallahassee and on the corner of "French Town" and I don't  see any "non-legitimate" type activity.  I have seen bike parts on bike racks, but I have also seen mostly bikes on bike racks.  Perhaps Political Science program is not terribly good here, but then again, I didn't come here for political science.

The-FooL

Roomate? Split rent + utilities.

nslay

Quote from: The-FooL on July 19, 2005, 10:27 PM

That works too, but its still hard to pay your own way through college.

Forged

Quote from: The-FooL on July 19, 2005, 10:27 PM

Here atleast even with a roommate rent would be $400 - $500 a month each.  I guess if I were willing to live on the shitty side of town that has $400 apartments I could handle the rent a lot easier.  But there is still the issue of that side of town is quite far from the college I am going to and my suv gets around 16mpg
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Hazard

I was not impressed with FSU's campus, classroom facilities for my courses, people, or atmosphere. I'm not impressed with their track record as far as campus security goes. I hate Tallahassee, partly because if its location near the Redneck Riviera.

Florida State, north till ya smell it and west until ya finally step in it.