• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Request for Comments: BnetDocs Facelift

Started by Arta, June 16, 2005, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arta

BnetDocs is getting a new design.

The site has become clunky and slow, and constant modification has led to inconsistency in style and design which is why the site is both a pain to update, and slow to use.

I have a prototype design which I'm planning to complete over the next few weeks. It includes some changes in format, a different colour scheme, and a cleaner look. Before I plunge ahead, I'd like to make sure it's not going to garner widespread hatred, and to find out if anyone has any suggestions for improvement or ideas for features they think would be good additions to the design or the site in general.

This template is just a concept at the moment, so none of the links work. It should be sufficient to get the idea, though: http://bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com/dev/template.php.

QwertyMonster

Comments on the new layout:

Yeah it looks very nice. Like it alot.

But some comments on things.

Try making important things, stand out more than the less important things. For example:

(DWORD)       Protocol ID (0)

You could try make the important things of that stand out more.

Like:

(DWORD)   Protocol ID (0)

This is just a little idea, but this is my view.

UserLoser.

It looks more professional... and happy.  I think you should still have "[0xXX]" next to the message name.

Warrior

I agree with UserLoser :P. NICENICENICE JOB ARTA.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Blaze

I agree with everything that has been posted before me.  It looks nice Arta.  Keep up the good work! :)
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Arta

Quote from: UserLoser on June 16, 2005, 12:11 PM
It looks more professional... and happy.  I think you should still have "[0xXX]" next to the message name.

Thanks - fixed that.

QwertyMonster

Arta what are your comments on my suggestion?  :P

MyndFyre

I think you should not have brackets there -- or at least pick something else to separate the ID from the message name:

[S->0x00] SID_NULL

That looks like 0x001.  0x50 looks like 0x501.  I was wondering what the hell you were doing to the IDs until I realized that was the problem.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Arta

I'll fiddle with parenthesis and see if it looks better.

[Unknown]: Not sure it's really necessary? I'll have a go and see how it looks.

Edit: I just removed the brackets, and it's much better :)

Falcon[anti-yL]

Soul Taker

Looks nice.  My only gripe with this and the past BnetDocs though is that it's white.  I realize that it makes it look rather professional, but it also hurts my eyes if, for instance, I wake up early and look at the site.  If you could make it a dark background and nice high-contrast fonts, it'd reduce eye strain.  If not, though, no big deal.  I'll just make my browser use a custom stylesheet for it.

Also, it says "To bookmark a document or message, click it's 'Add to bookmarks' link." on the left, but the actual bookmark link says "Bookmark this page" =P

QwertyMonster

I learnt in science today:

Less light on the makes it go smaller, whereas you feel more tired. Why look at something useful to do with programming when it makes you feel tired? You cant program while tired very well.

More light on the eye makes you more awake and concentrated. So therefore, having a white background can do a few things, make it look better, read better, and even help you.

- This is what i was told in science..

Blaze

Sorting by packet id instead of what order you entered them?

S->0x00  SID_NULL
C->0x50  SID_AUTH_INFO
S->0x50  SID_AUTH_INFO
C->0x51  SID_AUTH_CHECK
C->0x29  SID_LOGONRESPONSE
S->0x25  SID_PING
C->0x34  SID_QUERYREALMS

should be

S->0x00  SID_NULL
S->0x25  SID_PING
C->0x29  SID_LOGONRESPONSE
C->0x34  SID_QUERYREALMS
C->0x50  SID_AUTH_INFO
S->0x50  SID_AUTH_INFO
C->0x51  SID_AUTH_CHECK
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Arta

Quote from: Soul Taker on June 16, 2005, 02:46 PM
Also, it says "To bookmark a document or message, click it's 'Add to bookmarks' link." on the left, but the actual bookmark link says "Bookmark this page" =P

Fixed, thanks. I like bright pages :)

Quote from: Blaze on June 16, 2005, 02:48 PM
Sorting by packet id instead of what order you entered them?

Oops - fixed - thanks.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Not all of the fonts match :X  Some are verdana and others are default.

Also, I think the gray comment boxes could be a tad darker.  Maybe #F3F3F3.

Finally: There is no <title>BnetDocs</title> or whatever you feel like calling it :)