• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Bush is hindering the advancement of our species.

Started by Deception, May 20, 2005, 05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: Yegg on May 23, 2005, 02:57 PM
Cloning uses a living human embyro, and kills it (for a "good cause", which would involve helping another). This is much like abortion in a way. Abortion is the process of killing a living human organism. So is cloning. Many scientists and experts however don't want to believe this and/or have different opinions of if they embyro is really alive or not.

Ah, I don't think anyone would say the embryo isn't alive. We can't let it being alive stop us from using it in the best way possible though. We raise cattle, and kill it to eat. Cattle is alive as well. We also grow corn, wheat and even tomatoes. Those are all alive, and we cut them down and eat them. And we cut down trees and burn them.

You will probably want to refine "alive" into something else... Perhaps "intelligent life form"? Perhaps "cute life form"? (considering westerners don't like to kill cats and dogs for food)

CrAz3D

Twins are not clones.  Twins are natural phenomenons of life.  Cloning is done by man & not a phenomenon at all.  Also, twins aren't exactly the same
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on June 16, 2005, 01:30 PM
Twins are not clones.  Twins are natural phenomenons of life.  Cloning is done by man & not a phenomenon at all.  Also, twins aren't exactly the same

There are two sorts of twins. Identical twins are clones. The cloning is done at the earliest possible stage. Twins are created by humans, just like clones. Twins are as much the same as clones are. Of course, clones aren't exactly the same.

CrAz3D

Isn't the genetic make up of twin vs twin different than clone vs realperson?

I guess I should be clearerClones are forced by human beings, twins are involuntarily created.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on June 16, 2005, 04:59 PM
Isn't the genetic make up of twin vs twin different than clone vs realperson?

I guess I should be clearerClones are forced by human beings, twins are involuntarily created.

No, for identical twins, the genetical make up is the same. Just as between a clone and original (or other clone). People say clones have no parents, that they're the result of combining dna from only one person, but essentially a clone's genetical parents are the parents of the human that you are cloning.

But yes, you're right in clones being forced by humans and twins mostly being involuntarily created. There is bound to be things that help induce creation of twins though. Maybe eating some particular drug could cause every woman to bear twins. Would that be cloning? Would they be worthlesser than regular twins? :)

Topaz

I think what draws the line for cloning purposes is sentient species. Cloning humans (and other self aware species) is morally wrong, considering that they did not choose to be, or choose not to be something like that. You have to draw the line somewhere.

DarkMinion

QuoteCloning humans (and other self aware species) is morally wrong, considering that they did not choose to be, or choose not to be something like that.

Why?  If I chose to have myself cloned, and had somebody do it, how would that be morally wrong?  That was my choice.

Rule

Quote from: Topaz on June 25, 2005, 07:30 PM
I think what draws the line for cloning purposes is sentient species. Cloning humans (and other self aware species) is morally wrong, considering that they did not choose to be, or choose not to be something like that. You have to draw the line somewhere.

How is this different than having children the way most people do?  Your children didn't choose to have you as a parent?  Your children didn't choose to have your ethnic background.  Your children didn't choose to have a genetic disease you might have. 

Should we not have children because we are making these "choices" for them? 

CrAz3D

(ré-bun-dance)

Topaz

You may choose to have yourself cloned, but the offspring did not choose to be a copy of you. Every human being should have the ability to choose what it wishes to do, and what it is to be. The fact that it is a copy of you brings up a lot of moral issues and possibly trauma for the clone.

Adron

Quote from: Topaz on June 27, 2005, 09:03 PM
You may choose to have yourself cloned, but the offspring did not choose to be a copy of you. Every human being should have the ability to choose what it wishes to do, and what it is to be. The fact that it is a copy of you brings up a lot of moral issues and possibly trauma for the clone.

The clone is as much a copy as a twin. If being a copy is really bad, abortion should be recommended whenever twins are discovered.

When it comes to choosing, I agree with Rule: No child gets to choose its parents.

CrAz3D

Natural 'cloning' is a phenominon of nature, manual cloning makes it infinitely less special because the out come is predetermined
(ré-bun-dance)

Topaz

Clones are not twins, you are not the same age as the creation. There's also the moral issue of creating clones especially for use in replacing body parts.

Adron

Quote from: Topaz on June 28, 2005, 12:20 PM
Clones are not twins, you are not the same age as the creation. There's also the moral issue of creating clones especially for use in replacing body parts.

Clones unlike twins don't have to be the same age, yes. I don't see how it makes a significant difference though.

Creating clones for use in replacing body parts... Well, one good way would be to clone only the required body parts. To learn how to do that, we need to do more research on cloning :)

hismajesty

Would a clone have different finger prints from the human being cloned? Identical twins don't have identical fingerprints.

|