• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Italy or France

Started by hismajesty, April 15, 2005, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

Has anyone here been to either (or both) countries? Next year over Spring Break people that are in French are eligible to go on the field trip to France. Not many people are going because of the price, so it's not like it's every student or anything - and you have to be in at least French 4 I think. Also, the Latin class is having a trip to Italy at the same time. I'm not in Latin so of course I didn't think I'd be able to go so today I payed my registration fee for the French trip. However, come to find out my English teacher is one of the chaperones on the trip to Italy and she invited everyone in her class to go. Even though the registration fee is non-refundable, I'm pretty sure that I can get my check back since I didn't turn in my registration form yet.

So, here's my dilema: Italy or France? I don't like the French language, but I don't know any Italian past what's used in The Godfather. I will know more of the people going to France than Italy. I asked a girl in my class who'd been to Italy and she said it'd be more of a trip for with a family than with a class - but my parents really aren't in to culturalish stuff and even though my mom said she'd like to go to Italy, it's very doubtful that both of my parents could get off work long enough to go. I want to go to both, and they both cost the same so that's not a problem, however they're over the same period of time so I can only choose one. If any of you have been to either (as a tourist, not a resident and what not), post your experiences and such please.

quasi-modo

Go to italy. You are a tourist, know one expects you to be able to communicate well with the locals. If you lived there this would be different. Southern france looks pretty, but the pictures from italy look nicer. My pal went to southern france, italy, germany, and switserland and I have seen pictures from them all.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

hismajesty

Another big thing is that two of the chaperones on the trip are people that I get a long with (they're both either former or present English teachers of mine and they're young.) However, on the French one it's my French teacher (who I don't think likes me much) and the IB Coordinator (who's kinda old and not very funish.) Also, there's a kid who is going and I generally don't mind him but he's really a general troublemaker and I think he'd be annoying to be with for 10 days. The main thing I have against Italy is the fact that I don't know too many people that are going.

CrAz3D

Italy!!!  If you go to France that'll be fun but you'll have to go to Paris & I hear that Parisians? have a stick up the back side.  Italy has better art & food & probably sights that are on par with French sights.  Definately go to Italy.  Too bad that the Louve? is in France though, that would be some cool art.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Arta

Quote from: quasi-modo on April 15, 2005, 05:43 PM
You are a tourist, know one expects you to be able to communicate well with the locals.

That's just so wrong. If you can't speak any of the language, don't expect to have an easy time getting around or finding things out. Neither France nor Italy are countries where the majority of people speak English fluently. It's exceptionally irritating when tourists expect locals to speak their language.

UserLoser.

Italians are hotter than French girls.  Goto Italy

hismajesty

Quote from: UserLoser on April 15, 2005, 07:16 PM
Italians are hotter than French girls. Goto Italy

I was definitely considering that aspect of things.

Blaze

I'd go to Italy, more things to see.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

warz

Quote from: Arta[vL] on April 15, 2005, 07:15 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on April 15, 2005, 05:43 PM
You are a tourist, know one expects you to be able to communicate well with the locals.

That's just so wrong. If you can't speak any of the language, don't expect to have an easy time getting around or finding things out. Neither France nor Italy are countries where the majority of people speak English fluently. It's exceptionally irritating when tourists expect locals to speak their language.

I have been to Italy. A lot of people there spoke Spanish, and English. I had no problems, at all, getting around. I know a lot of spanish because of school, though. In most situations that English didn't work, Spanish would.

Mitosis

If you don't try to speak Italian when in Italy, you can offend the people there. Also if you don't eat what they give you they get offended because they think you don't like their food. It's always good to have a dictionary there, communication is number one.

We have a house in Italy, Casenza. It's really nice, have some family living there currently, cousins and aunts/uncles.

Adron

Quote from: Arta[vL] on April 15, 2005, 07:15 PM

As a tourist, I don't expect the locals to speak my language, but I do expect them to speak English :P

iago

I've heard that France is pretty filthy and not a great place to be. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

Quote from: iago on April 15, 2005, 09:16 PM
Quote from: iago on April 15, 2005, 09:16 PM

With dog poop!

Invert

Quote from: Mitosis on April 15, 2005, 08:18 PM
If you don't try to speak Italian when in Italy, you can offend the people there. Also if you don't eat what they give you they get offended because they think you don't like their food. It's always good to have a dictionary there, communication is number one.

We have a house in Italy, Casenza. It's really nice, have some family living there currently, cousins and aunts/uncles.

B.S. I lived in Italy for a little bit. People are nice and will always try to help you. Real Italian food is great and no one will bother you if you are full and won't eat anymore, stop making it sound like France.

hismajesty

I've decided on Italy.