• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Right to Die?

Started by Hazard, March 24, 2005, 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on March 25, 2005, 07:53 AM
She does have life insurance, but every nickel has already been spent on her 15 years of total and complete care and medical procedures. 15 years of 100% care. Food, water, hospice, hospital, doctors, experimental procedures, and now, court fees.

I think you're confusing life insurance with medical insurance.

Hazard

You think that her medical insurance was adequate to handle all that she has been through for the last one and one half decades? Of course not. Besides, medical insurance almost never covers experimental procedures, and that is pretty much all she has had for the last 12 to 13 years.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

CrAz3D

You can cash in your life insurance prematurely, can't you?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

quasi-modo

Ill be honest with you: I was out of town so I have not read this thread because I am lazy.

That being said I will just toss in my opinions.

I have no Idea whay the family of Schiavo wanted her to live. It seems like there was no real good intention and it was just selfish. They acted like Michael harmed her and that they need to do an odd topsey. If it really looked like Michael had done anything criminal the state would have pressed charges long ago, they did a whole investigation in the matter. It seems to me like the family just does not like Michael because he is tired of this whole fiasco and wants it to end. But also: How come Michael did not try this sooner? I mean I know the feeding tube was removed before, but that was still long after Terri had been in her state. This whole situation is just stupid and weird. I say remove the tube, she is not going to get better, and lets all put this behind us. It is wasteful to keep her alive.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Newby

- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Hazard

Quote from: Newby on March 31, 2005, 11:25 AM
She dies.

Finally, this horse race can end. I wish her a safe journey, even though in my opinion she took that walk 15 years ago.

Arta

Such a pity that she had to starve to death, instead of dying peacefully. People are so irrational about some things.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Arta[vL] on March 31, 2005, 02:30 PM
Such a pity that she had to starve to death, instead of dying peacefully. People are so irrational about some things.

Agreed.

Adron

She could've even died violently. When your cat is seriously injured and beyond hope it's considered compassionate to put it out of its misery. When a human is beyond hope, it's considered compassionate to prolong the suffering as long as possible?

Hazard

Thats so ignorant. You don't really understand what it is to die of starvation do you? In fact, when your body begins to break down its own tissues to feed itself your body releases endorphins, which actually ease pain. Patients who have gone to the edge of nutrion-deprivation in hospitals and who have recovered describe a sort of euphoria. It is actually quite a painless death.

Hazard

Quote from: Adron on March 31, 2005, 03:41 PM
She could've even died violently. When your cat is seriously injured and beyond hope it's considered compassionate to put it out of its misery. When a human is beyond hope, it's considered compassionate to prolong the suffering as long as possible?

When I was younger my father and I took a critically wounded dog out and shot it while hunting in Kansas. But damn you Adron, because if you had your way you would have taken my gun :P.

Arta

Quote from: Hazard on March 31, 2005, 05:14 PM

Thats so ignorant. You don't really understand what it is to die of starvation do you? In fact, when your body begins to break down its own tissues to feed itself your body releases endorphins, which actually ease pain. Patients who have gone to the edge of nutrion-deprivation in hospitals and who have recovered describe a sort of euphoria. It is actually quite a painless death.

Get a grip. I know that's true in the very final stages of death by starvation, but it's not at all true for a lot of it. You really think the starving masses in Africa are all euphoric because their bodies are consuming themselves? It's horrific, slow, painful and tortuous until the very end, where it probably gets ok.

That said, she was braindead, so in this case it probably doesn't matter.

CrAz3D

She shouldn't've died like that, but she should've died.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Hazard

But starving and being clinically nutritonally deprived are different. Look it up Arta.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Hazard on March 31, 2005, 05:14 PM

... except that she died of dehydration...which is far more painful than dying of starvation.

|