• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Right to Die?

Started by Hazard, March 24, 2005, 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

If you check out Yahoo News, Terri Schiavo is bound to be the first thing that you see. This is absolutly ridiculous. This woman should be allowed to die in peace, her expressed wish, which has been supported by the husband Michael Schiavo and dozens of Courts in the State of Florida. Bravo to the US Supreme Court refusing to get involved in the battle, realizing that this is not the government's place to get involved. What do you all think? Does she have the right to die?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Yegg

What do you mean does she have the right to die? You are saying this like she wishes to die. We do not know what she wants because she cannot at this time communicate like any one of us could. Her parents should have the final say in this. But with the stupid judges of today's world, this will most likely not happen.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Hazard on March 24, 2005, 12:08 PM
her expressed wish, which has been supported by the husband Michael Schiavo

This information is not substantiated.  I believe that Michael Shiavo has reason to want her dead; he has had two children with a lady who is essentially his new wife, except that she's not; and no doubt he has life insurance on Terri, and so he would stand to gain financially as well.  If she has not made a will that indicates that she does not want to remain on life support, then I believe it is the responsibility of the government to support her as long as is necessary.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Arta

Holy crap, I think we agree on something Hazard!!

I support euthenasia when the patient's intent can be, or has been, reliably determined.

Yegg

How the hell can you determine what another person wants. Can you read minds? No one knows what she wants because she can't talk! There's absolutely no way that her intention is to die.

Arta

Perhaps not in this cases, but there are plenty of cases where people can express their intent.

Adron

Quote from: Yegg on March 24, 2005, 03:20 PM
How the hell can you determine what another person wants. Can you read minds? No one knows what she wants because she can't talk! There's absolutely no way that her intention is to die.

Why is there no way of that? One moment you're saying noone knows, the next you're so sure she doesn't want to die? In some situations, death is the natural way. Accept it, embrace it.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Think of it this way, why would anyone spend that much money just to keep a person alive until they die of old age? Her brain is dead, so naturally she should be dead already, but is kept alive by machines. What is the goal for keeping her alive? Hoping that one day she'll regain her conciousness somehow?

dxoigmn

Quote from: MyndFyre on March 24, 2005, 02:23 PM
I believe that Michael Shiavo has reason to want her dead; he has had two children with a lady who is essentially his new wife, except that she's not; and no doubt he has life insurance on Terri, and so he would stand to gain financially as well.

The guy has repeatedly said he will not gain financially, although we really won't know until the days after her death.

Banana fanna fo fanna

This is an awful story . . . I'm rather disgusted.

Hazard

Quote from: dxoigmn on March 24, 2005, 07:08 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre on March 24, 2005, 02:23 PM
I believe that Michael Shiavo has reason to want her dead; he has had two children with a lady who is essentially his new wife, except that she's not; and no doubt he has life insurance on Terri, and so he would stand to gain financially as well.

The guy has repeatedly said he will not gain financially, although we really won't know until the days after her death.

Actually we do know. Any life insurance money that these pro-Terri people point to is ridiculous, because it has clearly all been spent on her medical care. Anybody that says that her husband is doing it for unpure reasons is just plain ignorant. It is a fact that he did not even move to have her removed from life support for some 8 years after she entered the coma. 8 years. He gave all these so-called miracle procedures 8 years to work, and none of them have. Thousands of doctors and dozens of state and federal judges have found that she has no chance of recovery, no quality of life, and that her wish was not to be kept alive. Let the woman die in peace, its that simple.

Death is the only gurantee we have Adron, we can agree on that.

Arta, we do agree. I trust the doctors, the professionals in this field. She has no life, and no hope. Let the woman die.

Hazard

Quote from: Yegg on March 24, 2005, 12:23 PM
What do you mean does she have the right to die? You are saying this like she wishes to die. We do not know what she wants because she cannot at this time communicate like any one of us could. Her parents should have the final say in this. But with the stupid judges of today's world, this will most likely not happen.

It was her expressed wish to not be kept alive like that, I believe the man. Her parents should not have the final say. By United States law, her husband has the legal grounds to make the decision. The judges are following the law. They can't just make things up as they go along, tack a little on here, take a little off there. Its the most unconstitutional thing imaginable to pass laws to govern the life of a SINGLE person.

CrAz3D

I wouldn't want to be alive for even that long of a time just sitting there, doing nothing, being a burden & a vegetable
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hazard on March 24, 2005, 11:37 PM
Any life insurance money that these pro-Terri people point to is ridiculous, because it has clearly all been spent on her medical care.

I always thought life insurance was paid out upon the person's death? But in any case, the guy has said she has no life insurance what so ever.

Hazard

She does have life insurance, but every nickel has already been spent on her 15 years of total and complete care and medical procedures. 15 years of 100% care. Food, water, hospice, hospital, doctors, experimental procedures, and now, court fees.