• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

An Old Idea (Open Battle.net)

Started by Lenny, March 09, 2005, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenny

http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?topic=8787.msg81693#msg81693

Out of boredom, I dug this old topic up to see if anyone was interested.

I've thought a little about the connection process recently.  To prevent the usage of proxies, the end user would send a request to the server, and the server would open a connection connecting to the ip that sent the request on a different port.  Therefore, the end user would need an open port to allow the server to connect through. 

Edited the above link so it pointed to the post about the actual project :)
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

UserLoser.

Sounds neat, but I don't know how many people would use it, guess we'll find out here

hismajesty

LoRd proposed this a while ago, then Ersan said he was working on it [a while ago, but less long ago than LoRd :P] guess it didn't get anywhere though.

Lenny

Actually, Lord's idea was to make a key sharing database, where users would share cdkeys with eachother.  If users donated keys, they would recieve new keys in return.

My system simply allows users to establish a binary connection to battle.net without a CDkey.  The users are never aware of the key they are using.

But that brings up another problem, I would need key donations in order for this to work.  I'm not sure how generous the battle.net community is...
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

Blaze

I like the sound of it, but there will be major abuse. I wouldn't mind using a bnls style login system..
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Falcon[anti-yL]

And you would have to keep checking the list of keys to make sure they still work.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Lenny on March 09, 2005, 08:16 PM
http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?topic=8787.msg81693#msg81693

Out of boredom, I dug this old topic up to see if anyone was interested.

I've thought a little about the connection process recently.  To prevent the usage of proxies, the end user would send a request to the server, and the server would open a connection connecting to the ip that sent the request on a different port.  Therefore, the end user would need an open port to allow the server to connect through. 

Edited the above link so it pointed to the post about the actual project :)
A few thoughts...

You would need to have proxies or multiple IPs, since your service is going to be the thing opening connections to Battle.net.

Sharing keys is an interesting idea.

Preventing connections through proxies would cause legitimate clients to potentially fail, if someone is using a firewall.

Otherwise an interesting idea.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

What do you do to a user that gets a CDKey banned/muted?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Lenny

You would need to have proxies or multiple IPs, since your service is going to be the thing opening connections to Battle.net.
The only connection to battle.net would be the bot cycling through the key lists to test each one (1 connection for each gateway).  Even with a high reconnect delay, I should be able to cycle through the entire list within a day or two.   

Preventing connections through proxies would cause legitimate clients to potentially fail, if someone is using a firewall.
Yes, this is one of the reasons why I'm still trying to find a better way to prevent proxies.

Well since each key has an associated ip address, I could easily ipban the user once the bot finds the banned key while cycling.  Or I could force him to sit with the banned key.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

Arta

Well, I'll just point out that this is a splendid recipie for eliciting a DMCA takedown.

Assuming that it were offered for public use, such a system would be patently illegal. It would even be illegal here, and we have reasonable legislation!

Eric

We've discussed this before, Lenny, but you never really had an answer other than donations.  Eventually, the list of working keys will decrease to the point where you won't have enough to assign to your users, and people aren't just going to hand you lists of 1000 keys apon request, so how do you plan on getting new keys?  This is why my original idea was based on the idea of key sharing, the key list would never become depleted.

Lenny

That depends on how you look at it Lord, your key sharing idea might accelerate key depletion.  Users that only give keys to recieve more keys in return probably aren't using their keys for anything legitimate (with respect to these forums :) ).

My hope is to have a set of 'safe keys' which are hardly ever banned and aren't in the wrong hands.  The keys of users who continue to want more keys probably wouldn't go under the category of 'safe keys'.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

MyndFyre

Quote from: Arta[vL] on March 09, 2005, 11:41 PM
Well, I'll just point out that this is a splendid recipie for eliciting a DMCA takedown.

Assuming that it were offered for public use, such a system would be patently illegal. It would even be illegal here, and we have reasonable legislation!
Why would the DMCA take it down?

I guess I'm somewhat confused -- is this a BNCS emulator, or a gateway to allow people to illegally connect to Battle.net?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Kp

Quote from: MyndFyre on March 10, 2005, 01:26 AMI guess I'm somewhat confused -- is this a BNCS emulator, or a gateway to allow people to illegally connect to Battle.net?

Even if it served as nothing more than a key repository, it'd be a collection of valid CDkeys which could be used to install illegal copies of the game(s) for which keys are hosted.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

QwertyMonster

Well since each key has an associated ip address, I could easily ipban the user once the bot finds the banned key while cycling.  Or I could force him to sit with the banned key.

Or you could make it so, if they get a banned / muted cdkey, they can then email the cdkey and the problem with it and you will send a working one back.

And this couldnt be a scam for cdkeys, because the person would test the cdkey they gave them to see if it is actually banned or muted.

Sounds a nice idea Lenny :P