• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Patching Help

Started by KoRe, February 16, 2005, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoRe

Hey I need to Patch / Hex out the old Verbyte of a program to the new verbyte, so i want to change the current verbyte from 201 aka 0xC9 to 203 aka 0xCB. Now im in hex editor, serched 16 unsigned byte and found one but that once changed to 203 doesnt work. i then found 241. 0xC9 -  201's under the unsigned 8 byte i beelive it was is there anyway to " cancle out  some possibilitys to make it ezer to find which one is the main verbyte? " thanks.

Spht

Kp

Why not just recompile with the new value?  It's generally unwise to go trying binary patches against old versions if you don't know what you're doing.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

KoRe

im patching a program that isnt mine to make it work so iw ont beable to "complie again"

Spht

Trial and error is probably the best way to do that, without disassembling.  Note version code is typically stored in DWORD -- so searching as that, instead of a single byte would probably be faster and return less redundant results.

Enjoy.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Spht on February 16, 2005, 10:18 PM
nerf rogues.

rofl I love the random reference to WoW.  It really has eaten vL.  :P
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Kp

Quote from: KoRe on February 16, 2005, 10:26 PMim patching a program that isnt mine to make it work so iw ont beable to "complie again"

I expected that, but was giving you the benefit of the doubt.  As I said originally, you're much better off waiting for it to be fixed if you don't know what you're doing.  That you asked here implies you don't know what you're doing.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Kp on February 17, 2005, 04:24 PM
Quote from: KoRe on February 16, 2005, 10:26 PMim patching a program that isnt mine to make it work so iw ont beable to "complie again"

I expected that, but was giving you the benefit of the doubt.  As I said originally, you're much better off waiting for it to be fixed if you don't know what you're doing.  That you asked here implies you don't know what you're doing.
There are some bot's that aren't supported any longer, what do you suggest to do about those?  I guess you COULD write some extensive program that intercepts data & then would send the correct verbyte instead of the old one.  Something along the lines of BGate or w/e?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Eric

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2005, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Kp on February 17, 2005, 04:24 PM

There are some bot's that aren't supported any longer, what do you suggest to do about those?  I guess you COULD write some extensive program that intercepts data & then would send the correct verbyte instead of the old one.  Something along the lines of BGate or w/e?

If it's only a version byte that needs to be updated, it could be modified realitively easily and it would get rid of the need for a client such as BGate.

Your best bet is to disassemble the program and find out the offset of the value you need to modify.  This saves you the trouble of, as Spht said, trial and error.

If you want, you could send me ([email protected]) the program and I could tell you what you need to modify.

Kp

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 17, 2005, 05:42 PMThere are some bot's that aren't supported any longer, what do you suggest to do about those?

Delete them.  If they're unsupported, it's probably for good reason. :)

R.a.B.B.i.T

ChewBot isn't supported, but it's still a good bot :)

CrAz3D

Quote from: rabbit on February 18, 2005, 10:21 AM
ChewBot isn't supported, but it's still a good bot :)
That's pretty much what I was reffering to. 
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

R.a.B.B.i.T

I was pointing out a specific example to LoRd of a bot that isn't supported any longer not because of some "evildoing scheme" that'd been found out, but merely for time management issues.

Eric

Quote from: rabbit on February 19, 2005, 01:48 PM
I was pointing out a specific example to LoRd of a bot that isn't supported any longer not because of some "evildoing scheme" that'd been found out, but merely for time management issues.

Kp*

shadypalm88

See if this bot has already been "hexed" by someone else to change the version byte.  If it has, compare the previously-hexed version to the original (or an older hexed version) to see what was changed.  The point(s) where the files differ should be where the version byte is stored.