Main Menu

lmao

Started by UserLoser., February 05, 2005, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lord_sammy

Quote from: Grok on February 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on February 11, 2005, 11:41 AM
Quote from: dxoigmn on February 11, 2005, 12:43 AM
Well to disprove quasi-modo I'll give an example.  Porshe 911 Turbo.  All-wheel drive. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.  Slow acceleration?  I think not.  Gas guzzler?  Yes.
A porshe is a porshe.... That is like saying a ferrari has awd and it is still fast... well of course it is. If you had them same engine, body, gear rations, all else equal I mean, but the thing was rwd it would accelerate faster and have a higer top speed. I am not saying cars with AWD are slow. I am saything that AWD is wasteful and that if the car were in RWD it would be faster then it currently is.

You're limiting your usefulness of power to straight-line speed.  Consider fun curvey roads and hills.  That Porsche and my Volvo would unquestionably benefit from AWD in a race on such terrain.  Consider that in street racing, as well, you don't always start on track-like conditions, and often have loose pavement, dirt, tiny rocks, any number of things that take away from traction in one or more wheels.  The computers in the Volvo take 500 readings per second of the suspension and make corrections of power to the wheels that need it and can use it (the ones that are not slipping).

During the hurricanes back in October, I was driving down Interstate 95 at 80 mph and there were cars stopped everywhere, and the occasional one in the ditch of the median.  At this one place I hit 8 consecutive puddles that completely crossed the road, and the car steered perfectly along the road, only slowing slightly as it hit each body of water.  A RWD car likely could not handle it.

So go ahead and enjoy your RWD car in perfect dragstrip conditions.  For daily driving, I have more power to the road than you will the rest of the time.  In average, impromptu, street-racing-at-the-next light, my Volvo is even with a BMW M3 despite the M3's 0.4s better 0-60 time on the track.

Congratulations Grok, you just sucked the fun out of the "FUN" Forum.

Blaze

Quote from: lord_sammy on February 11, 2005, 01:47 PM
Congragulations Sammy, you just insulted one of the leaders of the "vL" Clan.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

CrAz3D

Grok didn't suck the fun out of anything, he commented on what was being argued.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

quasi-modo

Quote from: Grok on February 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on February 11, 2005, 11:41 AM
Quote from: dxoigmn on February 11, 2005, 12:43 AM
Well to disprove quasi-modo I'll give an example.  Porshe 911 Turbo.  All-wheel drive. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.  Slow acceleration?  I think not.  Gas guzzler?  Yes.
A porshe is a porshe.... That is like saying a ferrari has awd and it is still fast... well of course it is. If you had them same engine, body, gear rations, all else equal I mean, but the thing was rwd it would accelerate faster and have a higer top speed. I am not saying cars with AWD are slow. I am saything that AWD is wasteful and that if the car were in RWD it would be faster then it currently is.

You're limiting your usefulness of power to straight-line speed.  Consider fun curvey roads and hills.  That Porsche and my Volvo would unquestionably benefit from AWD in a race on such terrain.  Consider that in street racing, as well, you don't always start on track-like conditions, and often have loose pavement, dirt, tiny rocks, any number of things that take away from traction in one or more wheels.  The computers in the Volvo take 500 readings per second of the suspension and make corrections of power to the wheels that need it and can use it (the ones that are not slipping).

During the hurricanes back in October, I was driving down Interstate 95 at 80 mph and there were cars stopped everywhere, and the occasional one in the ditch of the median.  At this one place I hit 8 consecutive puddles that completely crossed the road, and the car steered perfectly along the road, only slowing slightly as it hit each body of water.  A RWD car likely could not handle it.

So go ahead and enjoy your RWD car in perfect dragstrip conditions.  For daily driving, I have more power to the road than you will the rest of the time.  In average, impromptu, street-racing-at-the-next light, my Volvo is even with a BMW M3 despite the M3's 0.4s better 0-60 time on the track.
AWD does not neccessarily help your stearing. I mean yes the front wheels are pulling you around, but that is really not neccessary on a normal road.

Earlier in the thread I said 'that is the only time awd is neccessary', I was referring to a slick road. Really that is the only time you would want it. If you are not driving on roads in someplace that is not london,  seattle, or cleaveland (because it rains every day practically in those places.... pea soup) and you are not entering some rally somewhere then you do not need awd.

Also, in a race: If you are doing some nfsu2 stuff and overstearing you are not going to be any better off then someone w/ rwd because you are going to loose all traction on your front wheels, they are not going to be able to pull you out of the turn. On a normal turn, yes your front wheels are pulling you around, but my back wheels are pushing me around... Yes you might be able to hit the gas a little more through the turn but I am going to have substantially better acceleration right out of the turn. I do not need to be in perfect drag racing conditions to run a rwd car, most of the time rwd is really not needed, it is pretty unneccessary.

ps: so you car is on par with the m3, I do not know what that means. I know about the m3 (my pal owns one so he is always filling my ear with how he loves it and yahty yahty yah... I wouldnt mind having one myself though) , but I do not know any of the numbers for your car. I know the m3 is a 3.2 liter i6 and it is rwd. Okay I looked up some stuff about your car, it is an i5 and it is 2.5l.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

CrAz3D

You don't understand.  OF COURSE AWD helps when steering on ANY road.  There   is more power to the ground & more traction w/4 wheels working.  A slick road, gravel, regular clean pavement, it ALWAYS helps you when turning.  As Grok said, the only time RWD helps is in a straight away, which NEVER happens in real life
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

WoOdTroll

Another one of those threads.  :o

QwertyMonster

Btw its Porsche isnt it? Not porshe :)

lord_sammy

Quote from: Blaze - S-1-0-0 on February 11, 2005, 02:51 PM

I disagree, I merely commented on how this forum was supposed to be fun, whereas Grok was going into a large analysis of something that wasn't Fun/Funny.  Therefore ruining the idea of the "fun" forum. 

QwertyMonster

Hmm yeah we know what you was saying, but i think do think there is a rule not to insult a vL leader?

I know your saying you didnt, or you didnt mean to, but i guess we will have to wait til Grok sees this and posts..

WoOdTroll

I don't know...But I think Grok doesn't even care. Heck he probably took it as a comment from his post. But in no way insulting. I know people like him are reasonable.

Blaze

Quote from: woodtroll on February 12, 2005, 11:57 AM
But I think Grok doesn't even care
I think you would be right, I was just pointing out that saying things like that isn't the best way to fit in.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Adron

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 08, 2005, 06:54 PM
Buy a 4wd truck &/or have chains.  In conditions like that you should have chains anyway..driving on ice without chains, you nutty people...I'd almost think you were from California.

I don't have chains and they don't sound like a good idea to me. I thought you were only allowed to drive real slow with chains?

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on February 09, 2005, 09:37 PM
If we both have a car with the same engine, same gear ratios, same shape, etc etc, but your is AWD and mine is RWD I am going to win the race unless of course it starts snowing or something.

That's not necessarily true. If you both have an infinite power engine with no gears (think really strong electrical engine), then you will most likely lose. The additional weight you put on your rear wheels won't be enough to up the friction of a rear wheel there to be twice the friction of a single wheel.

Adron

Quote from: lord_sammy on February 12, 2005, 10:35 AM
Quote from: Blaze - S-1-0-0 on February 11, 2005, 02:51 PM

I disagree, I merely commented on how this forum was supposed to be fun, whereas Grok was going into a large analysis of something that wasn't Fun/Funny.  Therefore ruining the idea of the "fun" forum. 

As long as a topic starts fun, it's ok for it to deviate later. That happens so much all the time. Actually, if you post more fun stuff, I want you to make it a new topic rather than continue an old one just for that very reason: If you want to see the fun, you read the first post of each topic. Any posts further down will just be comments / laughs / discussions.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Adron on February 12, 2005, 01:42 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on February 08, 2005, 06:54 PM
Buy a 4wd truck &/or have chains.  In conditions like that you should have chains anyway..driving on ice without chains, you nutty people...I'd almost think you were from California.

I don't have chains and they don't sound like a good idea to me. I thought you were only allowed to drive real slow with chains?
I don't know about real slow, but slow I'd bet.  No highway speed.  But on icy surfaces, why WOULD you be driving 80 mph's...COULD be fun, til you have to stop
(ré-bun-dance)

|