• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

StarCraft Patch 1.12 Coming Soon

Started by Deception, January 21, 2005, 02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UserLoser.

Quote from: iago on January 24, 2005, 08:28 AM
The main reason they would is because it's more secure.  Unless, if course, you're using BNLS, but shh...

What are you trying to say?

Eric

Quote from: UserLoser on January 24, 2005, 01:39 PM
The main reason they would is because it's more secure.  Unless, if course, you're using BNLS, but shh...

BNLS is backdoored.  Run!

You should know that the information you send BNLS is sent plain-text which pretty much makes hashing pointless for anything other than passing authorization.

iago

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on January 24, 2005, 01:45 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on January 24, 2005, 01:39 PM

BNLS is backdoored.  Run!

You should know that the information you send BNLS is sent plain-text which pretty much makes hashing pointless for anything other than passing authorization.

That's correct -- Blizzard can use all the strong encryption methods they want, but as long as people are sending passwords in cleartext to BNLS, the security is voided.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Kp

Quote from: iago on January 24, 2005, 12:04 PMI don't see why you'd download a new client, but having a patch applied is normal for Blizzard products, and people understand them.

I believe his point was that they'd need to upgrade all legacy clients (Diablo 1, Starcraft, Warcraft II, maybe the sharewares), and such an upgrade would be in the form of a patch, but they haven't announced any further patches for d1/w2.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Zakath

If I recall right, lots of older-tenured Blizzard staff have left the company. While they'd still have the code, I wonder if they have many people left who are actually familiar with how those older games were written...patching them could be a rather involved process.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

tA-Kane

Even if those people that worked on the legacy clients were still there, you'd be surprised how quickly memories can fade. If you haven't worked on a project for years and then a new major patch was wanted, you'd have to reaquaint yourself with your own code again, just to figure out what all is needed.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

iago

We managed to find and interpret their login code from assembly, hopefully they could go back and do it from (I'm sure somewhat) commented C code.  Hopefully.  That is, of course, only if they care.

Networks

Quote from: iago on January 24, 2005, 11:35 AM
I don't think they care about compatibility with CHAT.  They've been restricting CHAT more and more, and I wouldn't be overly suprised if they just dropped it entirely.

As for announcements, the change would be invisible for anybody on a real client (I assume they wouldn't force new accounts or a new namespace), so Blizzard would have no reason to announce it.

I doubt they'd just drop it. Isn't its main use just to see if you can even get on battle.net using a username and password? Seems like its uses are just for connectivity and logon purposes for battle.net.

Joe[x86]

I always thought it was because people wanted to chat on bnet from friends houses and stuff without installing a client, thus Bnet via Telnet was created. Then again, I'm usually wrong.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Rizon

I don't think they care about compatibility with CHAT.  They've been restricting CHAT more and more, and I wouldn't be overly suprised if they just dropped it entirely.

They wouldn't drop chat entirely, because Blizzard reps use it.

WoOdTroll

I remember when USEast was covered in bots, all the mad server splits and crap.

CrAz3D

Quote from: woodtroll on February 03, 2005, 03:06 PM
I remember when USEast was covered in bots, all the mad server splits and crap.
I always found that entertaining...I recall when I first saw someone on a bot, I was UBER impressed!
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

iago

Quote from: Rizon on February 03, 2005, 02:24 PM

Blizzard reps have indicated that they'll soon be changing to using JavaOp to connect.

Warrior

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

l)ragon

Quote from: Rizon on February 03, 2005, 02:24 PM

heh when last i checked, TechBot was an nbbot.
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

|