• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Video Card

Started by Thing, December 03, 2004, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing

I am completely ignorant about hardware issues so I am asking for some input from those that know.  After playing WoW last night, I realized that my video card sucks farts from dead Orc ass.  I need more power!  I'd like to keep my costs below $300.00.

Thanks
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

j0k3r

I use a radeon 9700, it should be well below $300 now, and does the job great.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Wish

www.ati.com

they've got all kinds of new cards coming out with the xX00 series. i bought and x800 pro (AGP)
for $400 and its a frickin monster. runs hl2 like its nothing.

Vicious

Meh

I use the ATI Radeon 9200 SE and its the shit, Though I am looking to upgrade after christams to a better and more later version though this one works great :)

Skywing

Mm.. note that I've seen ATI drivers bluescreen lots while playing WoW.  Surprisingly, my nvidia drivers have been stable in Wow (they're typically crashing lots in other games).

Falcon[anti-yL]

tA-Kane

Quote from: Skywing on December 03, 2004, 01:28 PM
Mm.. note that I've seen ATI drivers bluescreen lots while playing WoW. Surprisingly, my nvidia drivers have been stable in Wow (they're typically crashing lots in other games).
Indeed, a lot of nVidia cards are to blame for a lot of older games crashing. But recently, nVidia has been getting better... possibly game makers cooperating more with nVidia. Note that some recent games specifically advertise nVidia with "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" (logo ang everything)... with Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 coming immediately to my mind, among others.

As for ATI... well, I haven't had much experience with their recent cards.
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

j0k3r

Half life 2 works best with an ATI card also.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

MyndFyre

Quote from: Thing on December 03, 2004, 10:02 AM
I am completely ignorant about hardware issues so I am asking for some input from those that know.  After playing WoW last night, I realized that my video card sucks farts from dead Orc ass.  I need more power!  I'd like to keep my costs below $300.00.

Thanks

GeForce 6800 with 128mb is $299.99.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Thing

Thanks for the input!  Here is what I'm going with:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-297&depa=1
I'm going to yank all my other components out and stick it all in this:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15138

Life will be good on Dec. 26.  :)
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Yoni

QuoteModel "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO"
:o

The "All-In-Wonder" model is basically the same as the regular 9800 Pro, except has more ports for people who are professional (or think they are). Same processor and performance though.

QuotePorts: Video In+CATV In+Video Out+DVI connector
Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, AV-In Adapter, VGA via DVI Adapter, Remote Control, USB RF Receiver, 4 CD, Manual, Batteries

Nice that it is under $300 now. It used to be $350-400.

Newby

Quote from: Yoni on December 04, 2004, 01:06 PM
more ports for people who are professional (or think they are).

That was cold.

*strokes his All-In-Wonder*
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

quasi-modo

I am going to buy the x600 pretty soon for agp 8x. It performs a bit better then the 9700pro according to data sheets and comparisons I have seen and it is a bit cheeper. I would o 6800/x800 if I wanted my bank account to be hemeriging money.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Stealth

I thought the All-In-Wonders were different because they had TV tuner cards on them..?
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot