• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

FireFox 1.0 > IE 6

Started by MyndFyre, November 19, 2004, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

I have the lastest version of FireFox and IE as of 3 days ago...

Both browsers maximized, displaying http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=92d36730-2d8e-43b3-b2de-421720885d95

Both browsers minimized:

What's all this about how much leeter FireFox is than IE?  Aside from Tabbed Browsing (which I apparently can't set FireFox to use for links that are target="_blank"), it's not different, really....
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Thing

Stop pretending to be an idiot and trying to start an argument.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Thing on November 19, 2004, 08:44 PM
Stop pretending to be an idiot and trying to start an argument.

No, this is actually serious.  I've been playing around with FireFox a lot over the last few days, and I like it.  One of the big reasons that I'm using it, though, was that I was under the impression that it was more memory-efficient than IE.

This post was really one looking for other people's experiences to see if there was something I was doing wrong.  I was surprised when I started Task Manager and saw that FF was using ~35mb of RAM.  I tried to think, and aside from embedding the MSHTML browser into my bot, I couldn't think of any time that I'd seen IE use that kind of memory.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I neither am nor pretend to be an idiot.  Kindly thank you for stopping the flaming.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Thing

Your original post was definitely flame bait.  If you had expressed your true intentions in the original post, you would have received a much warmer reply.  I still love the way you look in a thong.   ;D
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Its different for me.

Edit: Its not showing for some reason.
http://www.madzlair.net/ffs/task.JPG

drivehappy

When I try it Firefox uses less memory than IE6 (35MB v. 27MB). Minimized Firefox only uses ~1MB, IE ~2.5MB.

Eibro

When I minimize firefox its memory footprint slowly climbs down to < 5mb, depending on how many windows I have open. Perhaps Robert A. Paveza didn't give firefox enough time before taking that screenshot.

Not that different aside from tabbed browsing?
How about the built in popup blocker? Download manager? Themes?
Not to mention security...
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Hmmm, I smell an open-source zealot.

Opera rules!

Skywing

Remember that Memory Usage is really the process working set size -- which may not be what you want when you're talking about total memory usage.

quasi-modo

how much memory a browser uses is not really an issue to me... unless it uses a real crap load to where it is hindering system performance noticably. I have plenty of memory over here so no biggie. I care about security and conveiniance, firefox is definatly better in those areas.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Hmm, I can't seem to get ie running on Linux.  Let me know when they make ie work on all major platforms, please?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: Eibro[yL] on November 19, 2004, 10:33 PM
When I minimize firefox its memory footprint slowly climbs down to < 5mb, depending on how many windows I have open. Perhaps Robert A. Paveza didn't give firefox enough time before taking that screenshot.
How about when they're running maximized? I don't normally minimize everything.

Popup blocker I can get elsewhere.  It's a simple COM add-in that I could write myself.
Download manager is nice, I just discovered it this evening, but it's not so cool that I wet myself.  IE has several add-ons like it; I've used GetRight forever.
Themes -- who cares, really?

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2004, 01:42 AM
Hmm, I can't seem to get ie running on Linux.  Let me know when they make ie work on all major platforms, please?
Why would I care whether or not IE runs on Linux?

iago

Well, it's awfully hard for me to compare software that I can't use 95% of the time.

This is enough for me to not like ie:
http://secunia.com/advisories/12959/

It's been 18 days.  There have been phishing, viruses, and backdoors which take advantage of this.  It's ok if you're using Windows XP SP2, but anybody using Windows XP SP1 or Windows 2k you are still totally vulnerable.  It's become absolutely rediculous.

<edit>
Here are some more numbers:
http://secunia.com/product/11/
Product Affected By: 69 Secunia Advisories

http://secunia.com/product/4227/
Product Affected By: 0 Secunia Advisories

Which one do YOU feel safer using?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Mitosis

I don't even know the difference, really. People just told me "OmgzEr don't use IE it blows! Get FireFoX~" So initially I followed.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Quote from: MyndFyre on November 20, 2004, 01:48 AM
How about when they're running maximized? I don't normally minimize everything.

Popup blocker I can get elsewhere. It's a simple COM add-in that I could write myself.
Download manager is nice, I just discovered it this evening, but it's not so cool that I wet myself. IE has several add-ons like it; I've used GetRight forever.
Themes -- who cares, really?

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2004, 01:42 AM
Hmm, I can't seem to get ie running on Linux. Let me know when they make ie work on all major platforms, please?
Why would I care whether or not IE runs on Linux?
What about tabbed browsing? Is there an add-on for that too? Or do you normally keep 10 IE windows open?